Best song/music to show off imaging?

Manuel Delaflor

----------------

On 9/3/2003 2:52:56 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Of course, damn if Allan couldnt resist getting serious! FREAK! It was a good role/roll while it lasted. Brubaker.... heh. At least a few thought this thread serious with someone getting worked up about that BEER recording. I almost wanted to record one!

On a serious note from this end,
Hendrix's AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE
has some insanely good gems on it, relating to writing, music, solos, and the RECORDING. The title track's ending riffs by Hendrix and Mitch is amazing and chill inducing every time. It was perhaps the first use of the Hurricane, a mixture of Flanger and Phase shifter that had never been used on the whole mix. It is HERE on drums first, then the ENTIRE mix from Hendrix's INsANE solo to everything, bass, drums and all.

The end of BOLD AS LOVE is perhaps one of the best endings on any rock recording MADE.
Played at near live levels, it will bring goosebumps, chills, and a euphoria that is unmatched. While growing up, I must have blown 6 $50 ADS tweeters with this recording! I had to have them replaced by the time my Dad came home and wanted to put on his Dorsey, Webster, Hodges, or Ellington! I blew allowance after allowance until I got smart and installed 1amp fuses inline! heh.... There is NOTHING today that equals Hendrix.

That whole album is amazing. Songs like "Castles Made of Sand" stand out among the greats. The solo in this is amazing as is the entire song/mix. Hendrix used to hide while singing as he thought he had a terrible voice. HE was amazing...

kh

ps - Dave Brubeck has some GREAT side men and was perhaps the least talented of that group musically speaking. OF course, that is a landmark album and perhaps the most known to non jazz people as everyone has heard of Brubeck. I personally dont hold them as the best of improvisation but the time signatures were his trademark. It's interesting to hear Dave interviewed about how TAKE FIVE came about. There are some great recordings with PAul Desmond as the leader as well. I'll throw up some recs.

----------------

Greetings:

In "Castles Made Of Sand" I always get a little chill when Hendrix says - and it really didn't have to stop...... it just kept on goin'

Kind of keeps you believing that a lot of the lousy things, CAN get better.

I never cared too much for the Fender sound vs Gibson, but the opening to "Little Wing" is great in tonality and when goes into the opening chords the effects are great.

I've come to like the Fender sound - a more plastic due to the pickguard surrounding the entire pickups, as more experience has brought them out.

It's interesting to compare Hendrix vs Clapton in their interpretaions of "Little Wing." Especially on vinyl, all the nuances.

I wonder what Hendrix, Joplin (the Pearl album is nicely recorded) would be doing now.

My age is showing.

Win dodger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Brubeck has some GREAT side men and was perhaps the least talented of that group musically speaking. OF course, that is a landmark album and perhaps the most known to non jazz people as everyone has heard of Brubeck. I personally dont hold them as the best of improvisation but the time signatures were his trademark. It's interesting to hear Dave interviewed about how TAKE FIVE came about. There are some great recordings with PAul Desmond as the leader as well. I'll throw up some recs.

Kelly, something is stirring from the fog of my memory. I thought I remember an interview with Dave and that in this interview he said he had some severe arthiritis, or another disease which affected his hands and fingers, so he was actually playing with a handicap...anyone else hear of this? If this is accurate, then that may explain why you feel he had the least talent in his band. But if so, it's great that he did not let it stop him from playing, and becoming somewhat of a legend.

Sorry to bring this back so late in the game but I finally got a chance to actually sit down and post for a change.

Proper imaging is just as important to me as it sounding real. Like the rest of us clowns, that's why I have klipsch.3.gif

Just finished listening to Who's Next again. This time comparing the new deluxe edition vs the Canadian MCA disc (which sounds identical to the LP). This is one of my favorites for vocal imaging. For the most part Roger Daltrey's voice comes from down a hall somewhere behind the speakers (and yes, there is a wall behind my speakers). Sometimes the vocals are just echoing off side walls of an imaginary areana. He doesn't get in front of the background vocals until Going Mobile and still sinks back to being even with them on occasion. Ironically in Behind Blue Eyes he moves up front for a while and sometimes back to the background vocals. And it ends with him right up front on Won't Get Fooled Again.

Throughout the album the guitars seem forward, and the drums must be mono as they stay centered behind the guitars.

I find it a neat experience listening to him move from down an imaginary hall to finish the album in my living room.

P.S. If your looking for a reasonable copy of this cd that sounds right then bypass the DE and order the Canadian version MCAxx 37217 (only $12US shipped thanks to the exchange rate). The DE has so much bass that it almost covers up the clapping in Won't Get Fooled Again and it's compressed and maximized enough to make it sound about 3dbs louder. I haven't made it all the way through the bonus material yet, but what I've heard so far sounds noise reduced.15.gif

I actually belived kh, the froot, on this one. He got me. Actually had me listing to the CD very carefully. I think his Rega Planet is messed up myself, must be time for a lens cleaning.

tb

>Have you the excellent music from Sarah K on Stereophile volume II or III?  There is a part when I swear you almost SEE the spittle on her beautiful lips!  IT was not until I procured my triode wired EL-34 amp that I first heard that she actually sang a few lines with said spittle still there, almost until the first break.  IF you have the disk, please forward to the 2:57 mark.  You will hear it very faintly... At the 3:24 mark, it appears as if she has either wiped it away or licked it off quickly.  Audrey says she thinks she used her SLEEVE but I dont think so.  She has some good ears though.

Try Carlos Santana's Singing Winds, Crying Beasts. The music and more specifically the cymbal tones and chimes move around as if blown by the wind. I never really noticed this before the Scott 299 but maybe I listen a bit closer these days. With my head back and eyes closed the sound is amazing. Tried it again tonight, after a couple cocktails, and it was even better.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 7:25:25 PM Strabo wrote:

P.S. If your looking for a reasonable copy of this cd that sounds right then bypass the DE and order the Canadian version MCAxx 37217 (only $12US shipped thanks to the exchange rate).

----------------

Noticed that there's a new copy of this on ebay with a $7 buy it now if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2557076422&category=307