prodj101

----------------

On 9/2/2003 11:39:21 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 9/2/2003 9:08:26 PM kenratboy wrote:

Just don't try and build Klipschorns
6.gif

----------------

Why? They can't be that much more difficult to build than scalas or belles.

----------------

From what I heard, it took HDBR Builder (or what ever his name is) a LONG time to build Klipschorns as opposed to the others.

I would suggest doing an ebay search for lascala plans. Somebody always has them listed.

What I would do is do a completed items search, then email past winners and make them an offer for photocopies (or a CD-R dub). Sneaky, sneaky!!

If you want to avoid getting plans from ebay with incorrect dimensions in them, then just search for the following in this forum:

Updating Older Speakers

Subject: Speaker Plans

Initially posted by: lena

Date of initial posting: 2/26/2003

Scroll down to where I inserted two files that have dimensionally-corrected drawings from the commonly found German plans...and have fun building them.

I posted HDBRBuilders plans in a zip file under this same thread tiltle on the odds and mods forum.

djk mentioned this when asked about the khorn once:

"dearly love K-horns.And for most people they are too much work to build for a 50hz horn.57 trapezoid shaped boards some with compound mitre angles.About two gross of screws and nails on edge sometimes at an angle into 1/2" plywood."

I would stick with a LaScala.

Marvel

For the LaScala plans... I have the same images if you'd like i can post them here in both "HDBR version" as well as original german... and I think it's Marvel or djk (or someone else?... sorry I don't remember who... 12.gif ) that posted some really nice 3d renderings of the LaScala which really show how these things go together.

As for K-horns... you have to check out digjr handywork in "Updating Older Speakers" forum under the 12" cornerhorn thread. Not only did he do a great job at building k-horns replicas... he scaled them down for a 12" driver!

Here is a link to a picture he posted... 12-corner horn picture

There are completed pictures as well... he does great work... 1.gif

Rob

Kenratboy-

If all I had wanted to do was build a standard factory pair of LaScalas, then it would have taken just a few days to do it...but, in fact, the ones I built were completely redesigned so that no butt joints were used, no nail holes show, all mitered-joints or hidden joints where end-grain plys normally show up, joinery with twice the glue surface at critical seams, etc...and a good bit of the time taken was used in building the jigs for CONSISTENT assembly, the redesign of the joinery, and... ESPECIALLY...the exact book match of the panels used not only in each speaker, but ALSO in order to provide an EXACT book match of each speaker to its mate in the pairs...this latter took BY FAR the MOST time...but converting a plain-Jane utility cabinet design into an heirloom-quality piece of furniture normally does...doesn't it? One of the forum members has a pair of those oak LaScalas in his home now...maybe he will post some pics of them sometime so you can SEE the differences I just mentioned. Needless to say, his wife had no problem at all with the cabinets I built replacing his birch factory cabinets that had previously been in the house.

Formica-

I didn't just CONVERT those German LaScala plans over to American standard measurements in my "HDBRbuilder version." In fact, I gave the actual factory dimensions BECAUSE many of those German metric dimensions were INCORRECT...AND...I also included some HELPFUL ASSEMBLY ADVICE in my version. But, if one really INSISTS on adding the additional headache of trying to make those incorrectly-dimensioned parts in the German plans fit...more power to ya! I think bulding them using the correct dimensions will be HEADACHE ENOUGH for many (with limited woodworking experience and/or less than adequate tools for the job)who will attempt the project to begin with...why throw gasoline on a fire to put it out? I didn't go through the hassle of re- dimensioning those drawings for MY OWN BENEFIT...I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO BUILD THEM...Hint, Hint! IMHO, there isn't much use in posting the plans in their original German, since many of those metric dimensions and other measurements given for them are INCORRECT to begin with...know what I mean, Vern? 2.gif2.gif

Andy... I have no reason to doubt your corrected plans as your work is appreciated... I hope you didn't take offence ? ... 12.gif I was just offering them (the german ones), as some guys like collecting that type of stuff (or selling them on ebay... 2.gif )

I also understand the time consumed in trying to match grains... after the time it took me for one single large sub... I'd image a pair or large boxes must be murder!!! 6.gif

Ironically I did the opposite for the end grain. Early in my design stages, I actually decided to match my decorator models (actually some date from your period at Klipsch) and go with the exposed plywood end grain on my DIY sub. Rather than using MDF and veneer, this obliged me to hunt down Baltic birch and plan my box accordingly (no nails showing though). I guess the look has rubbed off on me. 12.gif

later...

Rob

Andy,

I appreciate the corrected drawings. I've been planning for two years now to build them, but don't have the time (or money) to finish them. I included your page of notes in the zip file.

Many thanks,

Marvel