Confused

Flux

Mostly lurk and read. I have RF-3's, Fortes and KSW-12. I use RF-3's for music and Fortes and sub for movies. I read that RF speakers are for HT. I don't understand this. Fortes and other big Klipsch speakers have middle horn like movie theaters so why are the RF speakers for HT? I think RF-3 sounds better with music.

there are no rules, if you like the RF with music then you are right. the fact that some people, even the company, may say that a certain line is aimed at HT is unimportant IMHO. so many variables influence the sound you get, your room, the other components in your system, the music you listen to, the volume you like. these favtors make the "rules" unimportant. enjoy your speakers as they sound best to you. regards, tony

I have only heard Klipschorns (lucky me), but I have read opinions that the Reference line has a characteristic HT sound. I don't know what that means, but take it with a grain of salt. There are MANY people who are very happy with the newer Klipsch offerings with music. If you like the sound, that is what matters. (We need an acronym for that statement around here IYLTSTIWM-catchy) Can big Heritage with suitable sources sound better? Many think so, too.

The notion of having a HT sound is that most speaker companies opt for a little ZING at the top end of their speakers to bring them off the showroom floor as well as appeal to the general public. Most of the HT speakers I hear are not very natural in the top end. Many have grown used to this aspect and it sounds "more crisp and detailed" to the ear at first but will ultimately displease in the long run due to fatigue and the lack of a natural top end, which is very extended (with a good amp), but not HOT or artificial sounding.

Ultimately, what Tony says is correct in that whatever floats your boat is fine. On the other hand, some are very sensitive to this and find it a negative trait.

kh

Marketing people..... Enough said....

Heritage make great HT speakers and when buying used, they are probably the best value for high end HT speakers also.

I think Klipsch is missing the boat and not making a "friendly" Heritage "ish" center speaker and subwoofer for HT. I think they could easily market the re-issued Heritage line as a high end HT speaker solution.

JM

I think the HT recommendation has as much to do with extra low-end depth as it does with size and quantity. The public wants a set of 5 small speakers with a matching sub-woofer. The deeper the HT set goes, the better suited it is for both music and movies. The Heritage series are not HT ready, since they do not have matching center, rear and sub-woofer speakers.2.gif

The only HT system I've really liked so far is moderator Trey Cannon's. He's basically using Cornwalls, 3 in the front & 2 similar commercial versions on the rear with a early Jubilee prototype bottom (smaller than the final version) to reinforce the low end. This is not to say that I don't like the RF series. I think they are fine speakers. It just seems that most HT aficionado's like exaggerated bass & treble. And, I guess for movies, that's ok, since the sound is reinforcing the impact of the visuals and special effects. Unfortunately, the idea seems to have arisen that a lot of the exaggerated (HT) sound is supposed to get carried over to normal music listening too. If you like that way, great. But don't ever try & tell someone it's not exaggerated, because it is. It's exaggerated the same way the special effects it's supposed to support are exaggerated. And while I don't feel the RF's produce exaggerated sound in and of themselves, it seems people often couple them up with subwoofers & weird HT settings that really aren't necessary, and most likely inappropriate for 2 channel.

----------------

On 9/3/2003 6:01:17 PM artto wrote:

Unfortunately, the idea seems to have arisen that a lot of the exaggerated (HT) sound is supposed to get carried over to normal music listening too.

----------------

I couldn't agree more. It's because of this that most people completely miss out on what we live in, the midrange.

The newer speakers have too much emphasis on the low end and top end, and not much in the midband.

I'm not saying all newer speakers sound bad, it's just this seems the general trend.

I think one cause for the trend for overblown bass, is the last 15 years of car stereos and the big bump and boom subwoofas.

But, what the hell do I know......