Time in Baltimore with GaryMD and Family

dodger

Re: Baltimore, Rochester, crabs, and Gunnings:

Not to change the subject, but:

Baltimore to Rochester by motor vehicle has to be one of the most tedious driving experiences imaginable! We went to Brockport once from Baltimore when I was in grad school and it took ALL NIGHT... Route 15 through PA was the worst (admittedly this was over 20 years ago).

Just thought I'd mention that I grew up withing walking distance of Gunnings. Only about an 8-hour drive from me now...

Actually, I always liked Bo Brooks (in NE Baltimore) the best.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/8/2003 11:33:17 AM Mark Hardy wrote:

Baltimore to Rochester by motor vehicle has to be one of the most tedious driving experiences imaginable! We went to Brockport once from Baltimore when I was in grad school and it took ALL NIGHT... Route 15 through PA was the worst (admittedly this was over 20 years ago).

Just thought I'd mention that I grew up withing walking distance of Gunnings. Only about an 8-hour drive from me now...

----------------

There are many great crab houses in the Baltimore area. Gunning is a 10 minute drive from my house. Crab Shanty is good also but I like Gunning's crabcakes & soup better. I knew Win and Betsy wanted a good crabcake so Gunnings it was. Not to mention the ease of getting them back to I95.

Maybe the roads have improved over the years but they made their trip in a little over 6 hours I believe which is what Mapquest suggested. I've never made that drive but if Rt 15 is anything like the PA turnpike, I understand what you're saying.

----------------

On 9/8/2003 11:33:17 AM Mark Hardy wrote:

----------------

Greetings:

If you go Route 15, that is completely different that even from ten (10) years ago.

Route 390 to PA or reversed is all expressway.

So the trip took about six and one half (6 1/2) hours each way, roughly, if you don't get lost and spend an extra twenty (20) minutes.

But there is still a point about fifty (50) miles south of Mansfield where you have the loooooong uphill that makes your engine call you names.......

Beautiful area down there. But it's nice to have only six (6) cars on a one (1) mile stretch of 390 that I find more relaxing.

Win dodger

Mark,

Just for the record, Bo Brooks has moved "down-y harbor" (Baltimorese) to an upscale community (Canton) and has revised its menu and prices accordingly. As Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again" but if you do, BB is no longer in the Hamilton neighborhood. The crabs are still excellent though!

Kelly,

Most of the conversations we had were in reference to the HF-81 and I never said to keep the caps original its plain dangerous. You should pull the bottom cover off your HF-81 and measure the VDC on every coupling cap in there I bet a good portion of them are leaking DC which is in no way good for the amp or the sound ! Especially check those junk pyramids then keep in mind that most SCOTT, McIntosh, Harmon Kardon and all the upper class gear used these caps ! If yours are not leaking then your good to go but do you have any Idea when they will decide to give out after 40 years ?? Your pushing your luck daily !

Where does all the bullsh!t about orange drops and metal film resistors come from ??? I never use any metal film at all and never use orange drops in a deluxe rebuilds in spots where they effect the sound ! I use Auricaps, Russian film & foils and carbon resistors throughout these amps ! In fact just order another $700 worth of both this morning. I never replace cans unless 1) they are bad 2) the customer insist for his own piece of mind . I always replace axial Electrolytes there not reliable after 40 years ! Heck the cans could last a week, a month or 20 years there is just no way to know !

I think the amps you have heard rebuilt were just poorly done by people that had no idea how to bring out the best the amps can do.

Where exactly do you think all these raving reviews come from ?? Do you think all these people are wrong and your right have another glass of vino 2.gif

Craig

----------------

On 9/8/2003 11:21:14 AM mobile homeless wrote:

JEffus and I have been talking this one and he firmly believes the ATOMs are a step down. I am scared to touch my original EICO since the damn thing sounds so natural and great, bettering any of the HF-81 I have heard, despite STILL using those damn ****ty caps. Jeff has his still in place too but needs a fix. I have amps in-house with mega parts galore but refuse to touch this first EICO (my second EICO is another story).

kh

----------------

Yep I pretty much think the Sprague Atom are a step down over the Astron Drylitics. Saddly all but one Eico who passed in my hand had these Astron pretty much dead.

The Cerafines were a step up indeed and pushed this little amp in a whole other league. Saddly the supply of these has dried up.

If I remember well Chris also tried the Cerafine 60 USD improvement on his Eico and was pretty happy with it. Until he sold the beast.

Jeff,

I've used some vintage Russian 40uF caps in a few with great results but the supply has dwindles again. They are really nice if you can find them. Other Wise not much choice but the Atoms because I'm not sending out a amp with the originals no matter what Kelly or anyone else says I truely think the originals have allot to do with why so many 81's vibrate so badly ! Angela has 47uf @ 500V for $30 each but they will never fit I'm afraid !

Craig

Kelly,

Who would think we ever worked together on anything, eh? Amazing.

If I remember right it had its trying times ! You would think after 150 amps under my belt and about as many raving reviews you would start to give my opinion some respect !

----------------

On 9/8/2003 3:45:48 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Who would think we ever worked together on anything, eh? Amazing.

kh

----------------

Greetings:

That's the key, working together.

More minds with solid input, more quality output.

Gary, if you decide to sell that, call me. I'm going to list some gear later tonight on the Forum, to raise cash for other new sonic ventures.

Craig, we'll be in touch.

Someone else with SET we'll be talking.

Thanks,

Win dodger

----------------

On 9/8/2003 4:01:05 PM NOSValves wrote:

I ask Kelly if he wanted to Wife swap once and are relationship fell apart not long after that so watch there Jeff
2.gif

----------------

It depends on the wife Craig...

As for the Cerafines, they fit and these sound darn good. Expensive maybe but the improvement is worthed the price.

Let me buy the rest of the lot at Angela before ordering from him.

You didn't get me I was trying to get you this is to funny !! How many glasses of wine did you drink when you compared the Atoms to the originals ? Its funny Kelly use to advocate the Atoms for the HF-81 . Kelly emailed me asking me to save him a set for his amp I guess he thoguht I was going to call them a buy them out LOL !!

Craig

I used a pair of JJ quads with my Eico HF-12's.

That was the best thing I did to those amps, getting rid of the original multisectional capacitors.

Oh dear, I do have the Atoms for PS caps.

I'd love to try Cerafines, but few and far in between and overpriced.

They won't even let you get free samples anymore, it was nice to get the low value/voltage Cerafines for free.

Why not configure a choke in the power supply of the Eico-81? Or two chokes, since it uses two rectifiers?

Then use a pair of 30 or 40 mic oil caps for the filter caps.

I think the max choke value for 6CA4/EZ-81 is 10 henries, I have no clue how you would go about it with two rectifier tubes, you probably could still use one choke.

Who knows....

I was/am thinking of trying this with my HF-12 unintegrateds, but I just picked up a Magnavox PP 6BQ5 amplifier. It has a choke in the PS.

Too many projects.