MC30's with RF-5's and an RSW-15?

prodj101

theres a pair of MC30's up for bid now in pretty good condition, I'm thinking of putting up an offer. how would these go with the RF-5's and my RSW-15? I have a B&K preamp and sony NS-900V or something SACD player (one of sonys upper end when they were still made). 30 watts is plenty for me, and I have a smallish room. with my MC-2105 I'm rarely exceeding 1/2 watt or 2 tops. for more info on my system see the link in my profile.

Buy them.

Don't worry about the differing size of the capacitors, MAC used varing sizes over the life of these and MANY have been replaced---and YOU will more than likely have to replace them anyway--at least I had to on mine, but they had been sitting for about 10 years when I bought them. THEY WERE THE ONLY CAPACITORS I HAD TO REPLACE when I got them up and running. And they have been in nearly daily use for about ten years (3-4 hours per day) since the rebuild. I know there are more than a few around here who think it's CRAZY not to replace EVERYTHING on a 50 year old amp, but in my experience (especially with MAC and Marantz stuff), this is simply not true.

You're going to have to invest in good tubes, REALLY good tubes if you want to hear these at their best. Listen to them for a few weeks with what they're coming with and then email me for suggestions. One warning, though--you're going to spend almost as much on the right tubes for these as you are on the amps themselves. One good thing, though, a set of tubes in an MC-30 will probably last you at least 10 years!

Allan,

The pictures of the exposed undersides of these MC30's struck me by how simple the design appears to my very inexperienced eyes. It sure seems as though some person or company could duplicate them and maybe even improve on them. Am I being naive?

Thanks,

Chris

PS Speaking of naive, this book is on my daughter's list for this semester. Craig might get a laugh out of the title -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0387900926/102-0597354-1732949?v=glance

----------------

On 9/9/2003 11:16:40 AM Chris King wrote:

PS Speaking of naive, this book is on my daughter's list for this semester. Craig might get a laugh out of the title -

----------------

Chris, I don't have that one but I do have the companion book "Axiomatic Set Theory" - so far from what we discuss here.

kudret

The McIntsoh amplifier is a "unique" design and I think MAC still holds some patents on the "unity coupled" circuit and transformer even after all these years. Plus, I'll bet winding these tranformers would be REALLY expensive. Plus, the MC-30 is pretty cheap even now and a "reproduction" would cost 2-3 times what a nice vintage one would set you back--EASY!

Strange. The amps are currently at $910 with over five days left. Reserve is not met either so a 1000 bid would surely be up there at the moment. Did you bid on it? There are only 4 bids. In addition, there is no reason to bid on ANY auction with 5 days left, if you did plan on bidding. It only serves to drive the price higher and higher. But so far, that auction shows 910 so not sure what happened here.

kh

ps- Further note, both of these amps have been RE-CAPPED with Solens and MIT caps easily seen in the photos of the wiring.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 12:06:57 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Kudret, didnt you add an EICO HF-81 to your sonic vintage mix?

kh
----------------

Hi Kelly,

Yes I did, but my joy was short lived :( . One of the tubes started glowing red and I haven't been able to figure out the problem. This has given me a major headache. Time to send another e-mail to Craig... Thanks for asking.

kudret