My RF35 are no good for .....

yada

To start off, I am a new proud member of Klipsch !

I think my RF-35 systems are great for movie (HT) and pop/rock music.

But, they are just not "that" great with Classical music. The bass and midrange are awsome. With classicals, the sound just doesn't sound as clean or detail as some others. I personally think the horns just sound a little too bright for classicals. Do you guys have similar feeling as mine ?

My room is about 18x10, powered by Sony STR-DA7ES. I heard some people say that Sony receiver is not a good match with Klipsch (makes the sound too bright), but I don't notice it in any other music except classicals. The fronts are about 2 feet away from the back and side walls, facing about 20 degrees inward. Wood floor with are rug. Moving the speakers forward (away from back wall) does help a little, but still under expectation of what Klipsch can do.2.gif

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I am totally happy with RF35 for under $2000 (5.1), but just a little disappointed when I try to listen to some classicals.

Yada-

First what are you using as your CDP/vinyl/SACD source? How far apart are your speakers? Do you have a TV in between the speakers? What vintage of recording (year)? Some of the older recordings (pre-1950s) don't have nearly the audio quality of the more recent stuff. I have quite a few recordings from the late 60s and early 70s that are very good recordings, yes there is a bit of floor noise, but that is to be expected.

Classical music is very hard to "get right", both from a mixing perspective and listening perspective. Depending on the mixing, you can hear some tremendous compression problems when the horns (the orchestra ones) are blaring or when the entire orchestra charges towards a crescendo. The bitrate required to covey that much detail is simply not available with CDs, so one just lived with it or moved to vinyl. Now we have the option of SACD (i'm not talking DVD-A, IIRC DVD-A basically requires a monitor to start playing - someone correct me if I'm wrong) which has the benefits of CDs (portability, size, wear, etc) with sonics that are "better" then vinyl, or at least approaching it. I don't have a SACD player yet, so I haven't really gotten a good audition (time) with SACDs on Klipsch speakers but my overall impression of SACDs when I have listened to them is that they are a bit smoother, aka less digital, then CDs. There are quite a few on this forum that have SACD player and are classical music fans.

Listening wise, give it some time, since the speakers are new it will take time for you to get accustomed to the Klipsch sound. Secondly, room setup, speaker setup, and acoustics can substantiality effect the sound that you hear. I have I found that having a TV in the middle of my speakers really screwed with my soundstage and the sense of 3 dimensionality. Balancing the SPL output between the fronts can really help too, so get a Radio Shack SPL meter. Once you have done the first two, then you can look at changing some of the hardware. Probably the two most recommended hardware upgrades are getting an outboard amp and using a good CD player. Outboard amps can help, but Klipsch speakers are SOOO easy to drive most amps will do fine (unless they are complete junk), it just won't give you the huge improvement that many report with more difficult speakers. As for the CDP, DSPs & DACs can make a huge difference, IMHO, much more then an outboard amp on Klispch speakers.

-Dave

Klipsch speakers use very little power, often only a fraction of a Watt. In most instruments, the higher frequencies (I'm talking harmonics mostly, but also fundamentals) contain lower power .. now we're talking a fraction of a fraction of a Watt .

In general, distortion in ss amps increases as power goes down. By the time they're down to that fraction of a fraction of a Watt, most ss amps are trashing the signal.

In general, distortion in tube amps decreases as power goes down. is is particularly true of triode, no-feedback designs. Feedback designs tend to have a noise floor that may be a factor, but that noise floor is nothing like the ss distortion refered to above.

I suggest you try 1) a tube amp, or 2)a ss amp that is a class A, single ended design. See if that fixes the problem. There are probably a few decent ss amps out there .. small amps by Creek or maybe a very low power Parasound, but they are up against the physics of the ss devices they use. In any event, you probably don't want more than a 20 Watt amp. My amps are 3.5 Watts, and 8 watts. You probably want a little more power because your speakers are not quite as efficient.

leok

Leo, when my attenuator is at 11 -- I promise I'm beyond milliwatts :)

Although Leo's advice is dead on, the problem you have is that you are somewhat commited to multi-channel -- so even a moderately priced tube setup is not all that practical for you right now.

The bottom line is that horns are brutally honest in revealing the distortion in our amps and sources, and moving to them typically necessitates upgrades to downstream components. Gear with inherent design compromises will be shown for what it is: Gear with inherent design compromises!

Yes, I have a TV in the middle for the HT. Well, I bought the Klipsch for the main reason for HT (5.1). Then, I just pop some classicals music in and they are just not as "excellent" as I thought they would be. The mains are about 8 feet apart.

I ain't any classicals audiophiles, in fact I listen to HT or pop most of the time. But, just a small flaw I personally feel from these great speakers.

I'll chime in since I own a sony DA5ES. I personally can't listen to ANY music through the sony. Maybe I'm spoiled (I certainly am now with the scott 299b) but when I bought the sony I was replacing my 1976 kenwood receiver (320 watts) and my wife and I immediately had a custom cabinet built so we wouldn't have to listen to 2-channel using the sony. It was that bad in comparison. I can't imagine the 7ES is much different than the 5ES.

We listen to some classical but not that much. If you're happy with everything but classical you're lucky. If you ever decide to change your 2-channel amplification, you will find out how good those horns can really sound.

I had the same problem with lower end pioneers, more noticable in the vsx-608s through vsx-811s models. Great for home theater with no major problems, however 2 channel audio was terrible....I mean the speakers sounded like a cheap boom box. It was even worse with classical music,I had to jack the volume control way up to get almost decent sound.

I sold the Klipsch (awaiting Legend upgrade)to a friend and music sounds much better with his kenwood. I'm guessing your speakers are not being played to their full potential becasue they are being restricted by the sony.

What are the chances of so many members of this forum consistantly recommending denon, outlaw, H/K, Pioneer Elite, and even Yamaha. There must be a good reason why.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 4:09:33 AM marksdad wrote:

it is not the rf's it is the sony. i remember the sony's i auditioned, they sounded poor in music, like a boom box
12.gif

----------------

EXACTLY!!

try to go with other recievers and amps.

ex. hk avr 7200. or try marantz pm7200 (you need three of these, u can even have a class A amplification out of it)