New Cornwall owner- a couple of questions

groover

I recently replaced a pair of Soliloquy 6.2 with 1985 Cornwall II(Sols are available,btw). Never having heard Corns before I was taking a bit of a risk but figured I could always resell them. Well, needless to say on this site I am thrilled. I have a couple of questions. Please forgive my ignorence.

- How do I get inside. The back is a sepperate piece but there are no fasteners. Are these the type that need to be accessed by removing the cone/horns?

- What is the difference between the I and II?

- How does my particular model/vintage stack up against others?

- I have gleaned the archives regarding upgrades and tweaks. What will benefit my particular flavor Cornwall.

Thank you much.

----------------

On 9/13/2003 10:56:13 AM groover wrote:

I recently replaced a pair of Soliloquy 6.2 with 1985 Cornwall II(Sols are available,btw). Never having heard Corns before I was taking a bit of a risk but figured I could always resell them. Well, needless to say on this site I am thrilled. I have a couple of questions. Please forgive my ignorence.

- How do I get inside. The back is a sepperate piece but there are no fasteners. Are these the type that need to be accessed by removing the cone/horns?

- What is the difference between the I and II?

- How does my particular model/vintage stack up against others?

- I have gleaned the archives regarding upgrades and tweaks. What will benefit my particular flavor Cornwall.

Thank you much.

----------------

check out this site for a review of your Cornwall. Needless to say, after reading it, that they are thrilled with it over there at Belgium Audiophile School.

http://www.belgaudio.com/kcmap.htm

A fellow named Gill gave me the absolute best advice for dealing with my new Cornwall purchase... go slow... fiddle with the position of the speaker cabinets relative to your listening position. Harness your desire to modify the innards until you have basked in the sound of them for a while.

You have made a good 'sound' decision. Welcome. BTW, if you want to modify the speakers, there are more than a few folks around here who've been there, done that.

later,

Forrest

I agree with Forrest. Wait a while before deciding to modify. My '80s are all original and I don't feel the slightest need to touch them. Some prefer 1s others prefer IIs. I like 1s better but that's just me and most will agree they are both trememdous speakers.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Edit: Looks like you've been here before. Welcome back.

BTW - You need to take off the woofer to get access to the inside.

Hello and welcome to the BB!

What are the serial numbers of your Cornwalls? The serial numbers will tell us what year your speakers were made so better recommendations can be made. Most on here would agree with Woodog, take some time to listen and get used to your speakers before you do any mods to them.

What is the size of the room you have the speakers in? Are you using the speakers for 2 channel music or are they in a HT setup? What source components and amp are you using? Sorry for all the questions but they will help to provided better advice.

garymd, yes I had considered Cornwalls and Lascalas prior to purchasing the Sols, I just lacked the courage at the time. I aquired some great info here though. Remembering how helpful and friendly you all were (unlike the asylum),I headed straight here after purchasing the Corns (or is it "walls"?).

edster00 - the serial #s are 8634273 & 8634274

I guess that would make these '86, not '85. The round plate to which the binding posts are mounted is marked 1985.

I use these for 2 channel only.

Room size is 19x13x8.5(ft). I have them on the 19' wall.

I currently have them set up 7' apart, measured mid to mid, and 11' from grill to ear. They are angled just short of facing directly at me.

-They are fed by a pair of Wright Sound Mono 8s.

-The amps are controlled by an Aloia 11.01 with inductive power supply.

-Sources are Linn Genki, Merril Heirloom w/AT1009&Dyna 10x4, and Mcintosh Mr-77. I am breaking the cardinal rule though and overhauling the entire system. All of the above will be on Ebay and/or Audiogon by weeks end along with Dh Labs cables, Apogee Centaurs, Thorens 165, LPB/Rusco broadcast table and arm, and other misc. items.

So far I have been thrilled with the Cornwalls sans mods. I am just planning for the future; I plan on keeping these beauts for a long time.I have been turning over my system yearly piece by piece. These will be the last changes for quite a while if I want to remain married.

Did I give that advice in connection with CW? Maybe so.

I just don't see a good reason to modify before you know what, if anything, is wrong, and you have some reason to think the modication is going to solve anything.

Edit: People can buy factory updated computer programs with a few thousand lines of code which may work better. People might go to the local speed shop and by bigger tires, engines, etc. However, in my view, home tweeking of Klipsch speakers are not going to yield much improvement. We're kinda conditioned that anything can be improved. But that might not be so in all cases.

I'll have to find my spec sheets for the CW and CWII. I'll post them.

Certainly the original is a classic using the ElectroVoice T-35 / Klipsch K-77 horn and tweeter.

The mid driver is a K-33 but there may be different suffix depending on the year. There was a change from the Atlas to EV sourced driver, I think.

The bass driver is certainly a K-33. Again there may have been different suffix.

In any event and despite any changes, these are very, vey well received speakers.

The CWII probably changed the mid and tweeter to plastic units. This may sound like dumbing down, but that is probably a rash judgment. There may have been no way to keep the model afloat without the substitution. They're doublessly different, but not inferior.

My guess is that "upgrading" to CWII components, if available, is something you should not do. The old ways die hard, I recon because they're the best. (Said with a cowboy drawl.)

Best,

Gil

"Oh, I forgot to ask about inside access. Does anyone know how the rear panel on these is attached inside. Has anyone modded them to be removable."

Removable is bad.

The back is glued in with a 2 X 4 between the front baffle board and the back panel.

Things that will make your model of Cornwall sound better:

Getting rid of the push on clips on the speaker wire and solder direct to the drivers (like the earlier Cornwalls are).

Damping the woofer basket and the backside of the horns with Moretite (or similar rope caulk).

Using better quality parts in the crossover network.

NOTE:

Because you have fixed backs, soldering the drivers comes last. Its a PITA otherwise.

Could someone shed some light? I always hear posters stating to use rope caulk or mortite on the tweeters and mids. I always thought that meant as a gasket for where they mount to the front motor board.

But then I read DJK's post stating behind the tweeter and in the basket, so now I am confused...

Please feel free to elaborate!

Thanks!

• Like 1

In most instances the comments referring to rope caulk and mortite (and Dynamat and other stuff) are talking about using it to damp parts that ring or vibrate at certain frequencies. The most common places to apply it are to the *EXTERIOR* of the midrange and tweeter horns, so the horn itself doesn't ring and vibrate at loud levels, and to the baskets on the woofers. The metal horns are more prone to ringing than the later resin horns.

I plastered DynaMat all over the metal midrange horns of my 1974 La Scalas, and it made a significant improvement to the clarity of voices at louder levels, and made violins and such sound more, uh, real (?), again primarily at louder levels.

Hey groover. Don`t change a thing with those CW`s until you`ve spent some quality time with them. Give it 6 months at least. I`ve had mine less that a year and the only thing I would change is the amp that feeds them. And the Onkyo is doing a good job to my surprise. I just want to hear them with tubes. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome back Groover and congrats on your new purchase,

Take your time and enjoy the CWs for what they are before funking around with them. It'll take a bit of time and experience just to get your new CWs set up properly in your room. Also, I would think that the Mono8s match very well with the CWs. I've tried several SET amps on CWs and I think the 300b offers enough power to really drive them comfortably (the 45 and 2A3 may run out of steam at high dB and complex passages) while still offering most of that midrange magic. I suggest you stick with the amps for a while before making a change. Besides, you know how the amps sound with your other gear and you can use them as a reference as you tweek your system.

Well if they are on hard floor you should put grippers on bottom after removing the metal sliders...HDBR....gave us this tip and i used it on my LaScalas,Cornwalls......helps alot....on yours and mine the backs dont come off Klipsch went to front mount to save on time in factory.....rick

Thanks for all of the info. You have given me a wealth of it. Hopefully I can give a little back in the future.

Ok, I will keep these curious hands away from the CWs for a while. I am thrilled with them as they are. It is a whole different world. I just wanted to poke around a bit inside but I will refrain for now. I guess I'll be able to stick my head through the opening of that big ol 15 incher if/when the time comes.

Thanks again guys.