Apropriate thrift shop find for today...

Audio Flynn

Weather Report; "Heavy Weather"

Mint condition

Did not even need to be cleaned on the VPI cleaner.

$ 0.50

20 LPs ...$ 10.00 all VG+ or better; most were better.

A couple of Columbia Masterworks and several Dynagrove LPs as well.

Billy Joel

And a Carpenters for my wife.

What a guy won't do for a little cuddle every now and then.

What a find!

Wish I still had my 'table...miss spinnin' quality vinyl.

My Sumiko Blue Point MC made my direct-to-disc/digital LPs sound better than some CDs (Jimmy Rogers: Blue Bird; Dire Straights: Brothers in Arms; The Digital Fox, Vol. I & II)...all exceptional recordings on LP that proved to me that vinyl ain't dead yet!

Enjoy your new treasure!

AF,

good choice on the album, and quite apropos for the current east coast wall of rain!

I finally came up with a good garage/estate sale find - a Mac MC275 with one channel weak. The widow was selling a set of EV Patricians for $1,000 to a rather frumentious bandersnatch type of fellow, and she had a younger male sheltie that was straining at his leash trying to break free just to "sic balls and tear limbs" from the ---hole.

I saw the beautiful boy and asked the lady if I could pet him. She warned me not to get near him, as he does not take well to strangers, and hates men other than he recently deceased husband. Lo and behold, Buster saw me and was licking my hand and wagging his tale a minute later. What a great dog! (Shelties usually are wonderful.) Mr. Jerk is still there, badgering the poor lady to see any other equipment her beloved used with the speakers.

Our ears perked up when she casually tossed out that he used a huge Scottish tube amplifier and preamp for the monsters, but they were always too --mn loud and she was not hard of hearing like he. As I started chuckling, she went on to say the preamp worked well, so it sold for about a grand the week before to a friend, but the amp was old and tired like her. Now I was laughing - she had a lot of feisty character.

Do you want to go down in the basement to look at it - I will sell it to you for $50. Sold, shouts the jerk. I'll take it now, just tell me which way to turn. And then the magic words, as she smiles and says, "No, I am talking to the nice gentleman who is petting my sheltie."

We all go downstairs, me with dog in hand, and there on the bench sits the audio epiphany - an actual MC 275 with all original Mac tubes! And it gets better! The jerk starts sputtering and pulls out his wallet. Fifties, twenties, and a couple hundreds, hitting a thousand total. Mary, the old grandmother, smiles, and says that her husband loved Buster and that Buster would trust no other man than her husband.

Right now I am practically squeezing Buster's kidneys out in eager anticipation, and Mary is relishing the moment as well. She looks at me and drops the bombshell, saying that she has decided to knock another thirty dollars off the asking price scince one channel doesn't work so well. Shaking in my boots, I open my wallet and pull out twenty - oh no seventeen dollars. Merde, merde, merde holdon I have some change up in the car. Let me set Buster down - I will be right back.

I get the change, and sprint back down to the basement, to see absolute chaos. The jerk is hold a cardboard box, trying to fend Buster off while standing up against a far corner of the basement. Mary waves her hand, tells me to load the Mac in my car and to come back down to get Buster off the jerk.

I have to race out now to buy a steak for Buster and take Mary out for a dinner date. Guys, let me tell you, Mary is a great lady. I will fill you in on round two in the next few days.

Chiao

Dave,

the dinner was great last night, Buster got his steak cut up in a doggy bag, and Mary gave her blessing for me to trade her amp. I now have a perfect condition (hopefully) MC 240 for an $80 profit minus last night's dinner. I just do not recommend doing this if the dog happens to be a pit bull.

I have seen a friend open an old console to find an MC 60 tucked inside, and I never figured anything similar would happen to me.1.gif And Mary would fit right in on this forum; nice as can be unless provoked, then you better stand back as the fur flies. And the sheltie part? The Sheltie Rescue director in St. Louis has a girl that had kennel syndrome which took almost two years to overcome. When we visited trying to adopt another sheltie she had, Lucy Blue(her kennel rescue) came out from behind the couch and sat in my lap to be petted.

I just wish that I could train various unloved pieces of stereo equipment to do the same. Two items I missed on right when I got out here were a working 299B($125) and a Dynaco 70 ($200) that had been restored and had new NOS tubes and caps. Good deals can always be found here on the forum,great deals are a little harder, and once in a blue moon you can shoot the moon. Right now I feel like I can draw Copernicus Crater!

Fini,

I'm mad now, and feeling depressed that I paid you $35 for a HK 430, when the MC 275 cost only $20. I really fell off the elevator on this one!9.gif My friend electrical engineer Bob (have about fifteen Bob friends, hence the designator with the name)has the 430 up and cranking. It has about five bad cold solder joints. He lets it warm up for a couple minutes, and then fires up the La Scalas with the KP 480 subwoofer. No pops whatsoever when warmed up.

He loves it, and says it sounds wonderful even w/o the sub. He enjoys it so much, he is getting in about four hours a night restoring his four Hammond organs - a BC, a C3, an M type and I can't remember the fourth. Before I loaned him the setup, he had about ten minutes a night. He now loves Klipsch.

When I get back home and Craig restores the 299Cs, let me know if you want to run one for a while. I would be glad to turf one out to you for a couple months, or just for one of those wild hula-bula California parties you are always throwing in wine country.2.gif

The photos of the MC 240 look gorgeous, and it is a more suitable match with the Quicksilvers that Deansgirl made Dean sell. I am really looking forward to getting back to St. Louis next weekend to see my wife and little baby Liam, and then in December for good! I can start listening to all the new stuff....finally.

Yeah, but you didn't have to date me, or squeeze my dog6.gif ! Thanks for the offer, but I just received my Fisher 500C back from Mike Zucarro yesterday, and I'm anticipating much listening in the near future. Hey, how did you like "No!"? BTW, where are you now?

fini

I am working on the decommissioning and demolition of a uranium mill in Ford, WA, about half an hour north of Spokane. The country is beautiful, and Mike Stehr knows the area intimately. I think he grew up in this neck of the woods. It is immediately adjacent to the Spokane Reservation.

It is pretty rough being away from my Klipsch, and even more importantly, from my wife and eight month old boy. Having the Mac fall into my lap made this trip worthwhile, and I love to travel and see God's glory. I just wish the glory was within a three hour drive of home.1.gif

There are plenty of jobs in the rad field, and being a glorified garbageman is quite well compensated. I would be glad to pass employment info along to any board members who might be interested. This field will be a lurking growth industry for the next ten years, and right now we are short about 500 people nationwide. I can pick and choose where I want to go, if I want to travel at this point. I don't want to right now, but we also like to see our take home $ bump up for the next two or three years. I need to make sure the next site I work at is near a Klipsch owner! The two nearest I know about are Moonman and Lynn, and High River is a long drive.

Mike,

e-mail me your address and phone #. I'll give you a call and maybe visit. My Mac deal fell apart on the back end, so I have moved the MC 275 and then got some egg on my face trying to buy the MC 240 from a guy in Minnesota.

I am 0 for Minnesota right now, as I was unsuccessful in buying an AES preamp earlier last month from another piece of work living in the land of a thousand lakes.

This will all work out great, I'm sure. I have a little extra to spend on my wife's anniversary present, and there will be a great deal pop up for something I can appreciate just as much as the 240. I might buy a HDTV when I get back home, so we can have the 2/4 channel home entertainment and stereo setup in the basement.

The gentleman was a little too impatient, and offered no second option on how to close the transaction. My wife did some quick digging - he had no sales, just 15 buys; his account had been changed in the past thirty days; he insisted on Western Union to a foreign country; he would not say where the amp was located; he needed the money immediately when it was a scheduled seven or ten day auction; and the kiss of death - he used language with my wife in the second e-mail.

I like to buy gear from people who call or e-mail me after the purchase to ask how I like the new-to-me sound, and this gentleman would never qualify. I am on the horn with E-Bay, and it looks like they will dismiss any negative feedback.

Fini, Colleen did not buy the amp, but I always let her know beforehand if I am going to drop major buckos on what is now toys (I arbitrarily have set the limit at 1,000 pounds or 15 items, and I definitely exceed both thresholds now if you count sets of speakers in that,) so she helps cover our backside by sleuthing and running background checks. I am 99% certain this saved me $1,400.6.gif