Final conclusion on what sounds best!

Jim Cornell

mOOn

I didnt want to outright say it, but yes i like them over my k-horns!

Then again, the Klipschorn is in a league all of its own, i need a bigger room here to absolutely enjoy them, there in my bedroom, with the heresys till the day comes!

The cornwall 1 or 2 for a box speaker is trully the best speaker ive ever enjoyed listening to!

The depth, soundstage is excellent, i think if we were still here and i had to sell a set it would be the horns!

But that day wont come LOL!

Regards Jim

9.gif

Color me surprised. Although it took some time for me to get used to my Khorns, there are many, many things that Klipschs big ole classic horns do that my mighty Cornwall I 1/3s, with their vicious B2 crossover, did not. First, in several rooms, over more than a decade, the Cornwalls exhibited a viscous 5-10dB or more bounce in the mid-bass (80-100Hz) and lower treble (5-9 kHz) range.

This gave them a satisfying punch to the bass, yes, but it also gave them a screeching and ringing sound to the upper end than revealed all faults with front-end equipment and made equipment matching and room treatment especially difficult. This anomaly, caused by protection added to the crossover, gave the Cornwalls a very live and strident feel, but also wore out your ears after extended listening sessions. Though wonderful sounding, the Cornwalls drove me to explore better front-end equipment. They made me a tweaking audiophile.

Both loudspeakers require large rooms, but if I had the smoother, more detailed Khorns, who knows if I would have ended up with the system I have today. The bass, the mid-range and the treble are all far more accurate, realistic and in the long run, enjoyable.

2.gif

Yes CornBreadWallz do look cheapo,they do sound very good.If you want to see true beauties and great soundin speakers you have to see the Avalon Eidolon Diamond in bird eye maple.

The CornBreadWallz look like a fat obese woman next to Niki Taylor(representing the Avalons)

9.gif

And dont tell me it aint true,because if you dont agree you need to get proper contact lenses.Or you prefer a Chevette to a M5

LOL

According to Jim, with his given room size and associated equipment, he likes the sound of his Cornwalls over that of his Klipschorns. To his ears, that's his final conclusion on what sounds best to him. Way to go.

I personally like the overall sound characteristics of the Klipschorns over that of the Cornwalls, but I love the way my Cornwalls sound in the room they're in right now. I'll like the way they'll sound even more if and when I can relocate my system to our formal living room!

No one's saying that the Cornwalls are better sounding than the Klipschorns, and visa-versa. At least I think that wasn't Jim's intentions.

And the Cornwalls are big ol' boxy crates. But in this day and age with the coming of the "retro" look (with new VW Beetles, Mini Coopers, Ford Thunderbirds, and the PT Cruiser, etc.), then the Cornwalls don't look so bad with my vintage Mac amps!

Yep

I have to make this a final thing, social services didnt really care for the Dbs the cornerhorns put out LOL!

And this house is too small, it really is, not solid enough either, the sound goes thru the floor and walls like there not even placed in corners!

On the other hand, the cornwalls sound fantastic in this array, thats where the difference is, a self contained speaker, Vs a corner placement speaker that feeds off the corner!

Prodj thoughts on the cornwall is why there not built today!

People thought they were a big bulky ugly box.

yea i will admit the Klipschorn is a bit much for my toddlers too, when we first got a set of cornwalls, they hurt my wifes ears, now thinking on what the Klipschorns are doing to my kids ears, theres a couple reasons why there not out front!

So Fini your right, this is final for now!

Regards Jim9.gif

Children caint hurt Klipschorns, Klipschorns can hurt children

Ear, Colin, & 101,

Considering the collective number of posts from you guys, I am surprised by your comments. I believe that most of us have driven our wives and families to violence due to the Looks of our audio obsession. Looks are nice. Do we really give a S*** about Looks compaired to Sound? If so, I will sell my audio and buy myself a nice little oil painting to look at. Ok, I did go from decorators to walnut.

Jim's statement does not surprise me in the least. He owned CWs before Klipschorns and I bet he missed the CW slam. Some of us are willing to trade that wonderful smooth Khorn sound for the "in your face" explosive "boot in the chest" sound of that the ugly Cornwall box. ( I guess four CWs stacked is twice as ugly) I have owned all of the Heritage line except for Belle.

IMHO, in a good room, two channel, I would match four Cornpones (tweaks & all) against any two cornerhorns and knock your sox off.

Regards,

Terry

Whoa whoa whoa...STOP THE MUSIC!!! All I am saying is that compared to a pair of Dynaudio or JM Labs, the Cornwalls look very simple and insignifigant - a 'dumb' speaker because it is a monster and there is no 'detail' on it.

In no way did I say or try to imply I didn't like it, or anyone else shouldn't like it. I am actually saying that we, on this forum, know and appreciate the speaker because it sounds so darn good. It would be like seeing a old sports car that is dated. It might look ugly, but you can appreciate the preformance of it.

I think Klipschorns are one of the best looking speakers around because I know how and why they work - and the industrial design and heritage add a lot to that. However, to the Bose and bookshelf system crowd, the Klipschorns would probably look awful.