Jazz Vocalists: Ella Fitzgerald - Billie Holiday - Sarah Vaughan - Merrill

mobile homeless

Nice additions, Tad. Hope people are giving them a listen.

As for saving ANY of these MP3 files, here is the process:

1. RIGHT CLICK on the file/link

2. Select: SAVE TARGET AS

3. The file will pop up and you need to select WHICH folder

you have the file download to or at the very least, remember

where you downloaded the file. One option is to save the file

to the desktop and put it on a named folder later. Or you can

save it to your music folder.

kh

Stolling through Borders I found several of the CDs on this list but also a lot of compilations. Would you recommend any of these artists samplers as a decent starting point or just jump right into the recommended albums?

Examples:

* Ken Burns put out a string of CDs per artist on his box...someone just gave me the box so I have "St. Thomas" for example but there are entire CDs of just one of the artists

* "THE DEFINITIVE" Sarah Vaughn...."Sarah Vaughn is for Lovers", etc.

* The Definitive or best of SONNY ROLLINS...etc.

My gut tells me to stick with the albums--especially the better versions you note.

Sorry about my frothing vitriol earlier today---been out of sorts with the prospect of ARNOLD as governor and the lousy general state of business in my industry. Dean's post was dumb and I cam't back down from that opinion, but I've made MUCH dumber posts around here and was never taken to task by some as jerk-like as I was today! So please Mr. Dean, accept this apology 'cause I really do mean it!

Gotta get you some early Johnny Griffin--you wouldn't snore through THAT!

OH, and one more thing-- FORGET about Etta James, the Etta that MATTERS is the late, great Etta JONES!!!

I feel much better now.

Great stuff!

The file swapping police are sure to get us now. If they don't hurry we might all run out and buy a stack of these recommended Jazz CDs we are sampling.

There's one shop I have in mind that might actually have the vinyl locally.

Just when I was scared away from ORNETTE Coleman I find myslelf jamming to "CHRONOLOGY" tonight with Don Cherry's cornet in the right Cornwall and Ornette's alto sax in the left.

I'm sorry too Allan. I didn't really mean that in a mean-spirited way. Actually, I was just trying to bait Kelly into a nice "You freak, you loon" rant. It was just my way of saying the material was too laid back for me. I will probably explore some Big Band stuff -- I always liked Glenn Miller.

I'll agree with Dean on this selection. While it is quite beautiful music, I wish it had a bit quicker tempo...I guess I prefer jazz with a little more pizazz.

Thanks again for making the recording available, any more you care to provide will be appreciated and enjoyed!

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 9/30/2003 2:10:33 PM mobile homeless wrote:

This is the FIRST installment of a JAZZ FEMALE VOCALISTS thread. Ok.... I actually have a good quality CD sonically that happens to have some nice work as well; it's sitting about two feet away, always a good thing; thus, it goes first in line.

Ella Fitzgerald/Joe Pass - Take Love Easy
(Pablo - 1973)

This Pablo Records release is an excellent recording, even on digital. It was recorded in LA in 1973 and is the work of excellent and tastful guitarist, JOE PASS, alongside the even more legendary ELLA FITZGERALD. IT is the first of several sessions from them and probably the BEST. The intimacy here is really evident and comes across in this recording. This is so subtle and sublime, it's almost three-dimensional. It's the kind of performance, that if seen live, you would hear a pin drop, even in an NYC club filled to the brim, drinks on the tables.

kh

----------------

Just got this CD today. I special ordered the disc based on your recommendation, and oh my is this fine! After spending the better part of the day listening to French organ music (Boellmann, Guilmant, Saint-Saens, Gigout), complex, dense, loud, bombastic and in your face, this is the perfect ease-into-the-early-hours aural caress.

And you are correct, the quality of the recording is superb.

Thanks Kelly,

Forrest