Other stampings on the backs of CWs?

BigBusa

When I built Cornwalls (1976-1983), the builders and sanders were required to stamp in their "builder code"..or "sander code" into the upper left rear corner of each speaker cabinet, just below the miter joint there. Codes were either one or two letters for the person/team doing the job. Sander codes were normally stamped below the builder code. Sometimes the builder code got sanded off by the time the sander code was put on...(in order to even-up the rear miter joints...cabinets were built with the front miter joints flush...sometimes their was a bit of uneveness at the rear of the joint).

If those Cornwalls were built around 1982-1985, then the "SW" is likely the builder codes of Steve("S") and Terry ("W" for Terry's last name...Willis)...I don't remember any sanders there with "Z" for a code, but I left in September of 1983. I trained both Steve and Terry in building Cornwalls and Heresys. My code was "A". Cornwalls were built by a two-man team...but that wasn't always the case for Heresys...fully over half the Heresys I built over 7 years were done solo by me. As a matter of fact...about a third of all the flush-front style Cabineted Cornwalls I built were also built solo by me...that cabinet design lent itself to solo building much better than the drop-in front style cabinet did on Cornwalls.

By the way...strong rumor from sources "in the know" say that the Cornwall will soon go back into production...I would imagine the new price for a pair of Cornwalls in walnut or another fine veneer will be near the current price for LaScalas...since that was generally the way they were priced in the past.

HAHAH FINI.

I find it strange that the well known Klipsch cornwall would need to be stamped "USA". The place they're made is right on the paper tag on the backs. PLus, who doesn't know where Klipsch speakers were made?! 9.gif9.gif

I think it's secret coding from a higher power.

PS these are from 1980.

Mine have TX and some other numbers afterwords, Hmm? They are 1979's.

Hey BigBusa, I took your advice and bought a SACD Michael of "Thriller". All I can say is WOW. The end of the song was best for me. Vincent Price's voice was surreal. I'm not sure that was my favorite though. Is your recording SCAD? If not you need to get your hands on one.

----------------

On 10/2/2003 9:23:02 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

..."By the way...strong rumor from sources "in the know" say that the Cornwall will soon go back into production...I would imagine the new price for a pair of Cornwalls in walnut or another fine veneer will be near the current price for LaScalas...since that was generally the way they were priced in the past."

----------------

My prayers have been answered! New Cornwalls (III?)...it'll be a grand day when (and if) Klipsch brings the venerable Cornwall back into production. There's still alot to be said about the "retro" boxy speaker look, IMO.

"If they build it, will they come?"

If I had the extra dough...I would!4.gif

My MJ thriller is not an sacd. I don't even know what an sacd is!

I think if cornwall 3s come back they'll be even less sought after than the CW 2's are now.

The CW1's are now the ones to own. If A CW3 is made it'll make the CW2 less of a black sheep and slightly more collectible. The CW3 won't be a big seller but it will make the prices of the 1s and 2s go up.