OT: contemplating a new hobby

GooseChaser

a few days ago, it occurred to me that I won't be able to do any major upgrade on the 2 channel for a while... a loooong while. to put it simply, I am poor and that won't change any time soon. if anyone remembers the few posts I've made in the home audio section, you'd know I got the gear CHEAP.9.gif and most importantly, I am more than happy with their performance.

I need an obsession, and even without the attribute of obsession, I want to give it patience and hard work. I need to make a commitment in my life and maybe that'll give it some meaning. so, what's this all important hobby I am considering?... I'd like to learn to play the guitar. 3.gif but I am serious, and learning an insturment has always been on my mind since I got into classical music. so, why the guitar... well, assume it's cheaper and can be self taught. unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's knowledgable in this field, and I have no prior experience in learning an instrument. I need a few biginner's text books, a sort of the idiot's guide book, a reasonably priced acoustic guitar, and other things I haven't considered because I am totally cluless. I'd like to aim for a budget of $600 and would go as high as $800. but don't just recommend things at $800 all together just because you can. I would really appreciate some consideration in price/performance ratio. I need a guide to getting started on an instrument for dummies...

any advice would be appreciated.

Wow, I started the same new hobby about 3 days ago. I did not know how much (or how good) I'd get in to it, so I found an accoustic guitar from a family member that hasn't used it in over a decade. Put new strings on and picked up a beginner's guide. I'm the same way, looking for really good books for absolute beginners. This book by Mel Hall seems to do alright, at least for now. Learned E, F, and G. woot!

I figure that if I get decent or really fall in love with doing it, then I will make the purchase of a $500 or so nice accoustic. No sense spending that money now until I see how I do...

I would go with a Sigma Martin in that price range (actually, the Slimline units can be had for @ $300 used) - good solid acoustic with a pickup and EQ onboard so you can plug in to a PA if you get a mind to down the road.

As far as beginner books are concerned, Mel Bay's self-teaching stuff is really good. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I made by rejecting the idea of learning other peoples' material. I'm still struggling after 10 years to play competent lead because I stubbornly refused to study great solo work early on. It really helps when you have direction and you can borrow licks in a pinch.

One more thing - the best thing you can do for yourself early is to learn that fretboard inside and out - pratice playing scales in all 11 keys - up and down the entire neck. Learn patterns, but know the notes you're playing - the better you know your guitar, the more automatic everything becomes, and the less you have to think about it (and can therefore concentrate on interacting with the song instead of where your fingers are)

PKuziel:

OK, WAY too much information...

--------------------------------------

For cheap hobbies, I would recommend restoring an old Aston Martin, astronomy (hey, how much could a 8" refractor REALLY cost...), you know...

However, nothing can beat getting some good books from the library! Thats free.

If you come to michigan...I'll show ya...not that theroy crap either...not to start with anyway...I'll show ya how to play a couple chords ,then a show ya couple songs..then you'll go from there never mind that thoery stuff right now..or you'll lose interest ...the thoery will come later as for a guitar....a $149.00 special will do you just fine ...this way you'll know if you will go the distance or not..... after you get the hang of it .. then a better one should come along......... the one I want is about $8,000....legend 1.jpg.

----------------

On 10/3/2003 8:19:59 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

If you come to michigan...I'll show ya...not that theroy crap either...not to start with anyway...I'll show ya how to play a couple chords ,then a show ya couple songs..then you'll go from there never mind that thoery stuff right now..or you'll lose interest ...the thoery will come later as for a guitar....a $149.00 special will do you just fine ...this way you'll know if you will go the distance or not..... after you get the hang of it .. then a better one should come along......... the one I want is about $8,000....
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/legend 1.jpg.">

----------------

Thoery? Not familiar. What exactly is that?

3.gif

----------------

On 10/3/2003 10:44:46 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 10/3/2003 8:19:59 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

If you come to michigan...I'll show ya...not that theroy crap either...not to start with anyway...I'll show ya how to play a couple chords ,then a show ya couple songs..then you'll go from there never mind that thoery stuff right now..or you'll lose interest ...the thoery will come later as for a guitar....a $149.00 special will do you just fine ...this way you'll know if you will go the distance or not..... after you get the hang of it .. then a better one should come along......... the one I want is about $8,000....
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/legend 1.jpg.">

----------------

Thoery? Not familiar. What exactly is that?

3.gif

----------------

Probly a misspelling of another word!!

----------------

On 10/3/2003 1:32:18 AM GooseChaser wrote:

a few days ago, it occurred to me that I won't be able to do any major upgrade on the 2 channel for a while... a loooong while. to put it simply, I am poor and that won't change any time soon. if anyone remembers the few posts I've made in the home audio section, you'd know I got the gear CHEAP.
9.gif
and most importantly, I am more than happy with their performance.

I need an obsession, and even without the attribute of obsession, I want to give it patience and hard work. I need to make a commitment in my life and maybe that'll give it some meaning. so, what's this all important hobby I am considering?... I'd like to learn to play the guitar.
3.gif
but I am serious, and learning an insturment has always been on my mind since I got into classical music. so, why the guitar... well, assume it's cheaper and can be self taught. unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's knowledgable in this field, and I have no prior experience in learning an instrument. I need a few biginner's text books, a sort of the idiot's guide book, a reasonably priced acoustic guitar, and other things I haven't considered because I am totally cluless. I'd like to aim for a budget of $600 and would go as high as $800. but don't just recommend things at $800 all together just because you can. I would really appreciate some consideration in price/performance ratio. I need a guide to getting started on an instrument for dummies...

any advice would be appreciated.

----------------

any insturment can be self learned, though lessons increase the speed at which you learn 10 fold. if you can get lessons, it is a night and day differences. you'd be amazed how much quicker you progress.

I will second the lessons...either through DVD or VHS... You will learn faster,, do it at your pace when you need to slow down or speed up and have it availiable when YOU want to do it too.

A good 30 min every day in a month or so you will be on your way..

Also 150- 200 for a good beginners Guitar, also is my suggestion. Look at the Guitar Center.

----------------

On 10/3/2003 2:25:42 PM PKuziel wrote:

Ahhhh Obviously the wrong time and place for my witty brand of low brow humor

----------------

Don't worry man, I fight back the urdge myself all the time, sometimes however, my typing fingers overpower my brains common since and type what they want anyway,9.gif

Good luck on that guitar there Goose. You ever think about wood working? Buy some tools make things and sell it... eh... justa thought.

----------------

On 10/4/2003 1:39:25 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I will second the lessons...either through DVD or VHS... You will learn faster,, do it at your pace when you need to slow down or speed up and have it availiable when YOU want to do it too.

A good 30 min every day in a month or so you will be on your way..

Also 150- 200 for a good beginners Guitar, also is my suggestion. Look at the Guitar Center.

----------------

Great suggestions so far. There are many really fine musicians that haunt this forum. I'll give yet another couple of pieces of advice, and if I say so, these are REALLY important.

Get a beginner's instrument to start, but make sure the intonation up and down the neck is true and that the tone is reasonably satisfactory. Take a good player that you know to help you find that good instrument. Pay one to do it for you if you have to, it's *that* important.

No matter your level of skill, a crappy sounding instrument will always sound crappy. And a major part of learning music is 'teaching the ear'. Don't handicap yourself with a bad sounding, out of tune instrument.

2nd point. Learn how to tune your guitar and ALWAYS play in tune. Electronic tuners are great, and you should own one, but also learn to do it by ear.

Forrest

Well here are my tips. First off, do you actually want to pursue classical guitar? If so then your typical acoustic guitar with a pickup, etc. will not do. You need to get a classical guitar. If you want a "regular" acoustic guitar go for an entry-level Martin. I don't agree with getting a cheap <$200 guitar. I can't recall the exact model number of that Martin but I've seen it for $500 or so. If you lose interest you can resell it and get almost all of your $ back since it's a Martin. If you decide to go the teacher route try to get personal one-on-one lessons instead of group lessons. They may be more expensive but they'll be worth it. I learned a lot by reading tabs(sheet music for guitar-it's actually all six strings with numbers written for the fret that you finger-you don't have to be able to read music to play songs) in guitar magazines. Especially of songs I'm very familiar with.