Matrix Reloaded

NOZ

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I watched a bad pressing of the DVD. I didn't buy it. I borrowed from friend.

I'm glad! Besides not liking the film,the 5.1 mix was terrible!!! For a new film,it has to be the worst mix ever!

First,the volume was recorded at a VERY low level. A normal movie I listen to with the volume set at -25. Which is usually loud enough. I turned it up to -20, and it still wasn't up to par.

Second was the bass. With the volume far from blaring, the bass was recorded at a HIGH level. I actually turned bass level down(which I never do) to -10. I normally leave this level set at -4. With my two subs,it is enough. Even with it decreased to -10, the bass was still terrible. It didn't fit with the scenes. Wasn't natural at all.

Third was the surrounds. I don't recall much action coming from them. Which is unusual since I have full range speakers in back.

Has anyone else heard of any complaints about the sound on this DVD? I think it is unusual from WB. Universal,I would expect it.

HOPE I DON'T UPSET ANYONE, BUT I AM WITH MAGNUM MAN, RENTED IT TODAY WATCHED IT. I HAD EXPECTED BETTER CONSIDERING A NEW MOVIE. I HAD THE SAME THING TOO WITH VOLUME BEING NOT AS LOUD AS OTHER MOVIES. SOME EXPLOSIONS LIKE WITH THE TWINS SUBURBAN BLOWING UP I THOUGHT WOULD HAVE MORE "BUMP" TO IT. MAYBE JUST ME, BUT IT WAS JUST OKAY. 14.gif STILL AWESOME AFFECTS WITH THE REOCCURING AGENTS AND NEO(SUPERMAN).

I agree with magnum man and love_hertz. We are not the only people who have made similar comments about this sound track. It just is not cohesive. It sounds more like a stereo sound track forced onto a 5.1 DD track while playing on my 7.1 system. Its the mix. I know its there because there a few spots where you can hear the surrounds kick in but for the most part it resembles all-channel stereo to me. I could grab 10 DVDs right now with my eyes blind folded and end up listening to a better DD 5.1 sound track than this. Its a let down in my opinion especially when you remember all the pre-release hype associated with this film. The picture is great for such a dark film using green filters all over the place but I dont think it ranks as a reference DVD because of the audio. Lots of eye candy but I think the sound engineers were sucking on their candy canes at the office Christmas party while they were mixing this one. Every scene in a movie doesnt have to include an explosion to satisfy me as long as the mix is smooth and consistent. If I was the man in charge of this project and was handing out the paychecks the audio boys would find pink slips in their envelopes. Im sorry to go off on a rant but I think its inexcusable for this DVD to take in so much money just to have the average person pay 20 bucks to listen to this cacophony due to poor, untalented or just plain lazy engineering. These people have got to get off their butts, get out of the studio and listen to this DVD on somebodys home system for a change. Then you have these so-called experts that say this is one of the best sound tracks they ever heard. Blah, blah, blah. It cracks me up is to hear the excuses these people use to explain away poor workmanship while the companies that put out these discs are socking the loot away. Oh yes, the sound track was intended to be lower in overall volume and the subtle mix was purposeful to lend a certain ambiance to entire movie experience as per the requests of the producers. Excuse me a moment. Cheeves! Bring the Rolls to the squash court immediately and dont forget the Grey Poupon I know what it is. I just didnt understand the genius of the artists that put this film together. Im too stupid to tell the difference between when Im getting my pockets picked and true art. YEAH RIGHT! Give me a break. Meanwhile theres a katrillion people checking to see if there is anything wrong with their sound systems after playing this disc. I wonder if theres something wrong with my sub? I wonder if theres something wrong with my surrounds? I wonder if theres something wrong with my receiver? Ha ha ha ha. What burns my tail is that the sound is there. They just didnt capture it for the DVD. I wouldnt care to comment at all if it wasnt for the fact that Im a big fan of all the Matrix films. What a waste. Geeeeeeez. Are we having fun ??? Have you fallen asleep reading this post yet? NO? He he he he . Then allow me to suggest some films by artists that CARE. Watch and listen very carefully any Lu Besson film where Eric Serra has done the music. The dynamics and timing of the sound tracks are flawlessly blended with the action. Thats what separates the good films from the great ones. Later BBB.

• 2 weeks later...

from the post up there:

"First,the volume was recorded at a VERY low level. A normal movie I listen to with the volume set at -25. Which is usually loud enough. I turned it up to -20, and it still wasn't up to par. "

I could NOT AGREE MORE!!!! what the hell were they thinking! What a complete waste of 25 Canadian $.

Let me give you my example:

Audigy Gamer+ klipsch promedia5.1

every single volume knob maxed out on the speakers and on the pc, wave, master, dvd player volume etc...

max max max

and it only peaked at 108dB in the "loud scenes"

the average was lower than 100 dB...

Now as a comparison, I popped in Titan A.E. and U-571.

Put the volumes at roughly 80 percent volume on everything

and the soundtrack was peaking at over 120dB in some cases!

What a joke. Matrix 1 dvd has MUCH better soundtrack with actual dynamic range.

14.gif

• 2 weeks later...