For Sale: Dynaco ST-70 tube amp

kjohnsonhp

SOLD

I'm selling my recently restored Dynaco ST-70. The objective of the restoration was to replace the signal path with new audiophile capacitors, replace the tubes, and perform the most common mods without "hot rodding" the amp into something different. This is an execellent looking and sounding example of this classic vintage amplifier.

PRICE $450 plus shipping.

The work was done by an electrical engineer and anitque audio technician.

I am currently enjoying the amp with my Cornwalls.

The stock ST-70 had the following new parts:

4 EL34 Eiectro-Harmonix tubes by Sovtek

1 GZ-34 Rectifier

4 Hovland Caps

2 .047uF/630V

2 47uF/160V

1 JJ 20/20/20/40 Filter Cap (4 section electrolytic is mounted under the chassis, and the original has been left in place))

2 470 ohm 1/4W Res 1%

1 1N4007RT 5A diode

1 16GA H.D. Line cord

4 STD Rubber Feet

4 Gold RCA Jacks

8 Gold Plated 4-40 screws

Please email me if interested.

kjohnsonhp@comcast.net

post-10144-1381924970723_thumb.jpg

Unless someone buys the ST-70 I'll be doing a TEXAS DEATH MATCH shoot-out between my ST-70 and the NOSValves/Curcio hot rod ST-70 I just bought from the other Craig.

In fact I've got a lot of comparisons to do.

I have a NOSValves Scott 355 and NOSValves EICO HF-85.

I also have a pair of 1977 Cornwalls and a pair of 1990/1 Cornwalls. One pair is going to Jeff (Eq_Shadimar).

As Chuckie Finster would say...."which is betterest?"

Maybe I should sell them all and buy KHorns and a new SET amp:)

Ken, why are you selling and what are you getting in its place? Some nice upgrades. Like the fact that you left the original cap on top and hid the JJ below. One point, I dont think this unit has RTX caps, which are the MIT Multicaps best cap (thought they dont make them anymore). I think he ended up with the Hovlands, which are the larger yellow caps on the circuit board at top. Still, the Hovlands are very nice with many proponents.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aeholsten/2a3_moondog/70.jpg

kh

Craig,

Right now it is up to seven. The top of the food chain is the Quicksilvers, then the Dynaco and Dee's 299c you massaged, the other 299c, the LK 72, the baby Dynaco and Sherwood mono that I scored by dumpster diving, and I in pursuit of another LK 72 and the 299c receiver out here in Spokane for $100. There may also be a set of pro La Scala base bins out here.

I have too many sets of heritage speakers and (obviously) too many amps, especially since I am not counting any of the solid state that I have. I have three friends back in St. Louis that are clamouring for a setup, and I have my nephew's wedding next spring AND my favorite cousin will be getting married as well. It is really great fun to introduce others to Klipsch, and even better to help them get a good deal on a system they will enjoy for the rest of their lives if they want!1.gif Good homes, all.

My electrician friend currently has the birch La Scalas running with th HK 430 that Fini sent me. He swears it is the best setup he has ever heard, and he designs and installs pro sound setups that can run in the mid five figures. He is very anxious to hear how the sound changes when he can drop the 299c in the mix.

I am still bent over the MC 240 deal that went awry, but I figure I didn't spend $1,400 on that amp, and I will drop about $500 to get this one in the house, a savings of $900. I will be trying to hammer out a flexible two channel/five channel flex setup with the Quicks, ST 70, and the best 299c. I'll let you know if it turns into a monster, or if it sounds beautiful.