Just added to the Heritage HT

Rudy81

Not that anyone cares, but I just picked up a pair of LaScala's on eBay for $911.00 All things considered I think that was a good buy. One of those will replace my Chorus II's as the center channel.

Anyone know the good, the bad and the ugly about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051147756&category=14993&rd=1

Let's keep the heckling to a mild roar.

Rudy... Congrats on the La Scalas... you will love them! ( I read you have a sub for the added thump too... great!!)

My suggestion might be to use the La Scalas as the main fronts.. A Belle as a center....the Heresy speakers as side fills are great. (Now, what to do for rears?? LOL.)

The La Scalas are thought to be the best "voice" speaker.. Some even think, if it is ok to say it, it is better than anything Klipsch has ever made in the Heritage lineup minus the Klipschorn. (Which, due to its design, would be hard to make a center channel anyhow..) The Belle was created to be a better "look" of the La Scala.

Anyhow, enjoy and tell us what you think too. Your room looks awesome!!

The system looks great! cant wait to see how it looks once the LaScala`s arrive..

Just one note one of my co-workers has purchased 3 sets of speakers off of e-bay in the last couple of months and each set has arrived damaged very badly. the last set arrived 10-10-03 and looked like someone beat them with a hammer. he has used both Fed-ex and UPS so take your choice and make sure there is plenty of insurance on them!

someday i will add a set of belle`s to my system when i can find a set that i can go pick up locally.

Again: Very impressive set up just wondering how you will set the LaScala`s in the system congrats Bill

Rudy

Nice addition.

Like Indy points out, you have a few options now on how you want to set up your HT. I have always prefered the midrange of the K400 (LAS) over the K500 (Belle). Since the center is so much midrange would the single LAS make a better center? Or would the LAS sound better as mains? Do you know what networks are in your LAS, maybe ALK would be a good match to your Belles.

Let us know what you end up doing.

JM

JM:

The LAS have the AL-3 crossover. My Belles have the ALK's. I plan on eventually having Al make me another one for the center, but in the mean time, my timbre matching should improve with the LAS in center. I can't bear to take the Belles out as mains, I love those things since I got them in 1988. The Chorus's are great speakers, but not quite a perfect match for my Belles as a center channel. I can't wait for the LAS to arrive. Hopefully they will be in perfect working order as the seller advertised.

Robert:

Since you asked, yes, I was planning on putting them on eBay. To anticipate the many questions, here are the details.

I got them on eBay back in April for my HT. They had been promised as in perfect working condition. However, one of the crossovers had a woofer section problem and I replaced the crossover with a Klipsch factory original. I have the receipt.

They are Chorus II's, black with black grilles. S/N 132296182 and 134297296. Cosmetically, they are in very good shape. One speaker has some paint worn off one side, but NO scratches or gouges. It arrived here that way and I can only assume someone put it too close to a wall or something. I beleive these are 92 models. I will soon have pictures available. For now, you can see them in my HT link in the center, just under the screen.

My La Scalas arrive in two weeks, so I'm not in a big rush. I have $685 in them. If you are interested, feel free to e-mail me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is all finally together. These La Scalas turned out to be a terrific addition as a center channel. The timbre match with the Belles is about as good as it gets. I decided to go with the La Scala as center. I did some two channel comparrison between the Belles and LaS and found them very close, with some minor differences.

The LaS has a slightly more tamed mid range and a slightly tighter bass. These differences were very minor, but noticeable. However, the Belles have a larger "air" and much wider soundstage. The differences during the test were the speakers of course, the ALK vs. AL-3 crossovers and the speaker wire. The Belles had my new Canare 4S11 cable and the LaS had plain 12 ga. The drivers in these two models are identical for these year groups. I would love to hear the LaS with the ALK in them.

Since the center is going to be big on mid-range and I listen to a lot of 2 Channel music, the perfect setup for me was the LaS in center flanked by the Belles. I never realized just how much wider the Belles are than the LaS. The Belle is a larger and heavier speaker for sure.

I will miss the Chorus II's I replaced as center, but they went to a good home.

lascala_belles.jpg

congrats, i guess i am from a different camp, i believe the cornwall is the second best speaker klipsch made, i have had both in house, to me the cornwall was a superior effort, i use a la as front center, and it is excellent, it is in my ht the PERFECT center it is dynamic, delicate, and everything in between, do use it as a center, you will be happy you did. but the cornwall is a better front channel, yeah baby!!!!!12.gif