Altec Lansing Santiago

garymd

----------------

On 10/11/2003 4:38:33 PM garymd wrote:

Well, it looks as though I will be the owner of these speakers but not for a few days. The current owner had a death in the family and will be away for a few days but assured me we had a deal.

He will be the proud owner of a pair of BO$E AM5s for his new apartment as trade.

I really hate to part with the BO$E as they were a gift I recieved about 15 years ago.
2.gif
Of course they are in mint condition since they haven't been used in 14 1/2 years.
3.gif

Not farm animals Fini, but you see the similarity. They kind of sound like farm animals.
6.gif
Actually, the seller is pretty excited about getting his new apartment speakers. I saved him a trip to the mall and about $1,000.
1.gif

----------------

WAH! I love stories like this. Way to go, Gary. Keep us posted on the sound of these new speaks.

Forrest

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be picking these up tonight. After a long talk with the seller, he says the cabinets are near perfect, just a ding or 2 from the vacume cleaner but the grills were pretty bad so he spray-painted them black and only uses them when moving the speakers for protection.

Can't this type of foam be purchased in sheets then cut to desired size?

Hey Gary,

Since you may need to make room for your "traitor" boxes, I would seriously be interested in either pair of your '80 corns. 11.gif

Here are some various payment methods:

1) Trade you a zebra (so you still get that same look in the livingroom)

2) Trade one of my cats

3) Trade you a "rare" pair of '73 vert alnico corns2.gif

4) Pay cash 6.gif

Mark,

My zebras will be going to the grave with me. Since I am the original owner, I would not trade them for any speakers on earth (within reason). No pair of khorns would even tempt me. Actually, my son has dibbs when I pass on.

I only have 1 pair. I just use them for both 2-channel and HT.

The altecs will be in my downstairs system with the macs, temporarily (or permanently) replacing the heresys. That is if my wife lets me keep them.2.gif

Timing couldn't be better though. We lost power due to wind gusts today and I went all the way home at lunch to hook up the generator for her. She has a brief due tomorrow and needed the computer so I now have a few brownie points.

I may need to push the pickup to tomorrow due to the power outage.7.gif That would be better anyway since she won't be home.

I'll check out the altec forum to get info if nothing else. I wonder what the market is for these. I can't find any on ebay. Anyone know?

Gary,

I figured as much that the zebras were keepers. And it sounds like you have impressively manipulated your way into sneaking those Altecs into the house (right down into the basement). Exactly how I would do it. Replacing the Heresys? Ouch. I know they lack the bass and big sound of a corn, but tell us how the Altecs fare compared to the Heresys?

Got any pictures of those zebras?

Mark,

Do a search on "Cornwall/Scott 299B Audition" and "zebrawood cornwall pics." The first is when JHawk92 came for a visit and took some shots. The other are shots I took when they were in my basement while we were redecorating upstairs. Don't let the lighting on the first picture fool you. There's not a scratch on either of them.

----------------

On 10/15/2003 7:02:27 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Gary, I was getting concerned. What a relief.
2.gif

----------------

Nothing to be concerned about. You've probably seen me at the mall. I'm the one wearing the bro (or is it a manzear?).13.gif

Thanks Mark. I'm seriously considering re-veneering my heresys to match. I'm not sure the walnut is salvagable. m00n provided a link to a company that had the exact match. Pretty cheap too.

Pickup has been scheduled for Saturday morning at 9:00. I'll keep you posted. Any volunteers to come help me unload them from the car and into my basement?6.gif

Didn't think so. My wife is a weakling, I have a bad back and my son is away at college. I guess that just leaves my daughter and she's not crazy about my speaker collection to begin with. Oh well, Dad will have to put his foot down.1.gif

Fini, you really crack me up. My last UPS delivery they brought my TT and set it in my office with the LARGE BLACK LEETERS on the top of the box saying this side down clearly visible.

Gee Gary you have such difficult problems. Wish we all shared your woes. I suggest with all your merchandise, and new stereo endeavor, you purchase a dolly. It really makes life easier. Maybe they have one with a built in stereo and klipsch headphones.

----------------

On 10/16/2003 10:16:58 AM Klipschfoot wrote:

I might be available if you are serious. I have not dropped anything in quite a while.
2.gif

----------------

Thanks for the offer. If I really get into a bind, I may shoot you an email. Hopefully it won't come to that. I got the belle down the stairs by myself so I think I can handle these little things without letting gravity do the work for me. Thanks as always for your contribution Fini.2.gif

djk wrote:

It should be pointed out that the 411 woofer has a foam edge that is probably shot.

I would have Great Plains Audio do the repair.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. He says they are fine though. We'll see.

Bill,

I'll call you shortly on that other topic.