Definitive 7000 flag ship v/s Klipsch Horn

white wolf

typically, as great as the people are on this forum, you will find a very few that would reccomend anything over klipsch. I say let your own ears be the judge, regardless of awards, reviews, or others opinions. Take whatever anyone else gives you as their opinion as just that, their opinion. The only way to tell what you really think of a speaker is to listen, compare and then let your ears and wallet guide you to what you want to accomplish with your system. I've heard the DT in a variety of settings and they are quite nice, there are also other options, including the reference and heritage series from klipsch that you may want to listen to. Make a list of speakers to compare, a set of criteria you want in your system, and then go do the homework, you'll know when you hear them.

I agree w/the last post. I just purchased the reference system myself (7's) and have absolutely loved them. When I was shopping around for them (I have been looking for the past few years, more seriously the past few months) I compared most closely to the definitive technology line. I was looking at their upper speaker, I don't recall the model number, but physically it stands about 8" or so above the RF-7's. My conclusions are following, but you need to determine what type of music you will be listening to and any other applications-home theater, etc.

I found the deftechs to be a wonderful speaker. I found them superior to the klipsch system when listening to vocals, especially in two channel listening, where their design allows the speaker to fill the room with music. Very nice sound. On to rock/country...

In these two categories (my wife is the country buff, but I do like shania...lol) I found the klipsch system was able to recreate the "feeling" of being at the live event. The sound was better than that of the deftechs by a larger margin than the deftechs sounded better than the klipsh in terms of vocals. On to home theater...

I listened to the scene(s) from The Matrix where neo and trinity enter the lobby and get into the gun battle with the police force. There is another scene right after this where they place a bomb in the elevator which is also good. Anyway, I listened to the dvd on the klipsch system first. I found that the louder the volume, the better the sound and the overall experience of watching the movie. I listened to the scene from beginning to end (the tremendous explosion) with a huge perma-grin on my face. Rewind scene, enter deftechs. I will tell you that I did not even listen 1/3 of the way through the lobby scene-the difference was staggering. Explosions, gunfire (that actually sounded like real gunfire), voices etc., all sounded much, much better on the klipsch system. If I had only heard the deftechs, I probably would have been very satisfied bringing them home. But I heard the klipsch system and the margin between these two is like comparing a PC speaker system to the reference line from klipsch-not even close. There is a reason that klipsch speakers are in (what 80%?) of the movie theaters in the United States. When you take these puppies home, you will not need to go to another movie!!! (Although you may find yourself looking at overhead projectors...addictions, addictions addictions...)

Bottom line for me: Deftechs will yield an absolutely wonderful sound. They truly are a good speaker. Their design allows the music to simply fill the room, especially in two-channel listening. Wonderful sounding for vocals and not bad for the rest. Klipsch just annilated the deftechs in home theater applications and was stunningly superior for rock and country.

Bottom line for you: Take your favorite music with you (along w/a dvd or 2 if you plan on home theater applications) to you local dealerS. (Emphasis on plural). Listen to the same songs on each speaker system and you be the judge...You're the one that will be listening to it!!!

But buy klipsch or you're a mo-ron...lol Just kidding, let me know what you think...

David

i agree. what sounds good to you is paramount. i just consulted with a friend on his ht. he liked the jamo's better than anything else. he was discouraged because he knew my equipment was exclusively klipsch. i told him if the jamo's sounded best to him to buy them. just because i prefer klipsch does not mean evryone will.