Marantz Just Died!

garymd

I was listening to an lp when the sound slowly began to fade, then poof, nothing. I hooked the 240 into the kenwood pre-outs to verify it was the marantz and it is. I do have a warranty. I guess I'll start pulling out tubes 1 by 1? Will it be obvious? I'm not very happy right now. My first dead tube component.

I pulled out each tube not knowing what I'm looking for of course then the fuse, switched to the other amp-in connects and it works fine now. Should I not use it? The guy I bought it from owns a vintage repair shop. I'm sure he'll check it out for me. I did get it for a steal, or so I thought.

Nothing loke crying over spilled milk. I took a real close look at the power cord and it was really a mess. Open wiring which was pretty frayed at the sides of the plug. I cleaned it up and plugged it in to the outlet instead of the crowded strip and she works fine now.

That's a fix even I can do.1.gif

Now if it blows up I have no one but myself to blame.

Gary,

hook the MX 110 back up and use it for a couple days. Go buy a good power cord, take all back to the shop and talk to the tech. Build up a history with the tech, so even if this new cord does the trick, the tech knows how you operate for future dealings with broken stuff.

I work with Ludlum Instruments on all the sites in the country, and they know that defective items I send back really are defective and need serious attention. Techs always like dealing with small repairs versus catastrophic fires2.gif

I'll be getting the check in the mail late tomorrow.

Ciao

Dave,

We do have a good relationship and he's getting a call first thing in the am. The Kenwood will do while it's getting fixed so I can pack up the 110. No big deal.

I can't believe I didn't notice the stupid thing in the first place. Sometimes you plug n play without looking at the damn plug first!

Thanks.

while I know there is some controversy about what parts to replace and not...I think it is always a good idea on an old piece of equipment like this to replace the PSU caps and, at least, check other caps in the unit to see if they have gone wonky or dried out...tony

This unit was checked out by Bob, the resident tube expert at their shop and I spoke to him at length afterwards (he's very, very good). All was well. That's why it suprised me so much when this happened. Just the power cord. Since I repaired it, I've had no problems. I didn't buy this from ebay. I know these guys very well and they live off this stuff like we do.

I spoke to the guy and he INSISTED I bring it back so he can replace the power cord, check out the phono stage and make sure everything else is working OK. Stand-up guy. He didn't notice the plug problem either when he got the unit. It may have had a one of those cardboard covers that fell out during transport.

Thanks for everyone's input.