DLP Rainbow effect?

j-malotky

I have owned a DLP projector for 1 1/2 years now, have had a lot of people over to watch movies and I have never had anybody complain of seeing the dreaded Rainbow effect.

How about anybody else? Have you or any of your guests seen the rainbow effect? If so, what make and model was it?

For the record mine is a Sharp PG-M20X.

Just curious what others have noticed.

JM

I hear of it, if you go left to right fast... E.G. tennis on steroids???? not the picture but the watcher???

Hmm I have the Samsung 61 inch DLP.. Incredible..HLN 617 and I heard of this supposed problem too, but never seen and or experieced it either myself.

I will say this, regular tv on the Samsung depending on the signal sucks...

That said.. most of the channels are "ok" maybe a 6-7 on a 1-10 scale..(think big screen TV in say 1988??) But take a digital signal or even better HD signal... And in full 5.1/ 7.1 surround sound, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Breathtaking and nothing not even a 20k plasma or pioneer elite, whatever... minus maybe a runco 20K projector on the ceiling beats this TV. Go to even sears and check it out you will be more than impressed.

OK, I know some of you dissagree.. but I have had zero problems and 120% happy with the TV..

I currently own 2 DLP projectors, an Infocus X1 converted to a Screenplay 4800 and a Dell 3200MP and no one has ever had a problem with mine. We do a lot of LAN gaming with projectors so you can imagine how many people have viewed my projectors and my friends projectors with no reported issues. As far as I'm concerned it's rare.

Okay...I'm one that has problems with it. I was looking at the X1 and wanted to test my resistance to the "rainbow effect", so I went and tested a Marantz VP-12S2. Watching Gladiator, I about lost my lunch, the rainbows gave me such a headache that I was getting nauseous. I was using a LCD projector at home, so that convinced me instantly NOT to get a DLP. I have seen DLPs that were playing not so motion based video and they do look fantastic and didn't bother me.

-Dave

dkp, yes they are the same projector but the 4800 has better gamma tables. The difference here is that it will require less calibration which I find a real advantage on sources that don't have their own overlay controls. If you use a HTPC or a DVD player that gives you control of the saturation and hue then it won't really matter but in the case of an Xbox or a lot of other DVD players that don't allow you to do this you may find it better. It's a matter of modifying the firmware and flashing the X1 with the 4800's latest version.

While I don't ever see a rainbow effect, I don't like the lack of brightness DLP sets have. It's just the nature of the design. Because it's throwing 3 images 1-2-3 in succession, the final image is always duller and less crisp than on a good old fashioned CRT.

I'll personally wait until three chip DLP sets get cheep enough to be a realistic option. Of course, by then LCoS will probably be down as well, and it's hard to beat the sexiness of 1080p ...

CO1,

Before I purchased my X1, I contacted Infocus a number of times with a variation of questions. One question was always the same. That was, "Is there ANY difference between the X1 and the Screenplay 4800?" I asked this because my local dealer was absolutely sure that there was. I even spoke with one of their techies. All of the reps that I spoke with told me that the two machines are absolutely identical. I relayed this information to my local dealer who also checked with their source. Much to their surprise, they found out the same thing. The only difference is the default settings that the machines are shipped with.

Where are you getting the firmware and whatnot that you are "flashing" into the X1 to upgrade (?) it to the 4800?

David

CO1-

In theory a faster color wheel would "solve" the problem. However, the Marantz projector that I looked at was "state-of -the-art" at the time. I wasn't ever able to find out the speed of the color wheel, but I believe it was a 4x to 6x wheel. And at that time there were no 8x wheels, so if I was having trouble with 4x, a 2x wheel would drive me insane (or to the bathroom).

The nick is due to the fact that I'm finishing up my PhD in engineering and my research involves combustion work.

-Dave

----------------

On 11/10/2003 6:53:55 PM easylistener wrote:

What is kind of funny is I can see it on all the dlp's. I can see computer screens flicker and I can see the Floursent lights also. I hate it. When you can see that kind of stuff you get dizzy. Alot of my fiends can't see it.

----------------

Easy, next time your over to my house we will have to fire up the DLP. As I think back, the times you were over we just listened to music on the Khorns.

For the record, I too can see computer screen flicker when it is below 75 Khz and lower and Florecent lights drive me nuts too, but never the DLP rainbow.

So it sounds like it is the persons eye sensitivity to the effect - Interesting....

JM