RF7 owners: Grilles on or off?

Ou8thisSN

I always seem to prefer the sound from these speakers with the grills off, not because they look great off, they do, but I think the high frequencies sound clearer with them off. Am I just imagining this difference? When not in use I put the grilles back on. Scientifically, high frequencies are blocked by solid objects, while lows are not, so maybe thats why it sounds clearer with them off, but is that just fluff?

on an unrelated question. I think I got some finger prints on the black front part of the speaker, how do I get it off? Just water/Damp cloth?

How do you guys go about caring for the wood veneer? Can you do anything to make it shine without ruining the finish?

Ou8,

I think that you are right about hearing a better sound with the covers off. But check out the thread about cables as I think there's a post in there about a Swedish company that makes a silver cover that actually enhances the sound coming from the speaker...9.gif

On a serious note-I have my covers on because of the WAF. I think they look really good either way but haven't had them off long enough to tell you if I can hear a difference or not...

David

Just a very damp cloth for the veneer. Never use anything else -- the veneer is sealed. The same should work for the fingerprints on the painted baffle.

My grills are always off, until little Ian or Temple come to visit me upstairs - then I strap on the "battle gear'.

----------------

On 11/11/2003 4:15:53 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

I always seem to prefer the sound from these speakers with the grills off, not because they look great off, they do, but I think the high frequencies sound clearer with them off. Am I just imagining this difference? When not in use I put the grilles back on. Scientifically, high frequencies are blocked by solid objects, while lows are not, so maybe thats why it sounds clearer with them off, but is that just fluff?

----------------

I just leave mine on. I guess it give me better peace of mind, since those drivers are so easy to dent if I accidently bump one (just ask TheEars 6.gif) Also, those pegs that holds the grills on or also pretty darn flimsy, and the fewer times I have to mess with it, the better. I usually only take them off if I want to clean the speaker, take a picture of it, or show to friends.

----------------

on an unrelated question. I think I got some finger prints on the black front part of the speaker, how do I get it off? Just water/Damp cloth?

How do you guys go about caring for the wood veneer? Can you do anything to make it shine without ruining the finish?

----------------

One good way to keep the speakers clean is just get a box of those "Swifter" dust rags and use those. As for the finish, treat it like any other piece of fine furniture. The occasional dusting with "Pledge" works also.

hmm, when we were transporting the speaker from the old house to the new house, it was very difficult to pack it back in the original box. I layed one of the speakers with the woofer side down, for a few minutes. the woofers were facing the little inner box that contains the grille. This was 2 months ago, and the speakers sound great and the drivers seem fine. your post just worried me. I mean, it didnt fall that way, it was gently lowered, before I realized what side it was on.

• 4 weeks later...

I leave them on, the open look with kids around do scare me a bit, I've seen some speakers in the stores with the dented speakers and looks too fragile to me, plus with them on they dissappear into the system for a cleaner look. When I changed up from RF3s to RF7s the wife about freaked, I had told her they were going to be a bit bigger...she didn't realize just how much bigger! oh well...;)

G2

I keep mine on just so they blend in better with the black room. I am guessing that I would not notice a differnce but I suppose I could check it out and see. It stands to reason having the grills on could affect the sound ever so slightly but I am guessing my ears would not notice it.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 4:10:59 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

Always on. this prevents ME from touching them. I can always prevent some one else from getting too close, but I find it hard to control myself.

Like Mr whipple squeezing the Charmin

----------------

LOL!!! I know EXACTLY waht you mean... Every time I pull a grill off I gotta tap on a driver. I like the sound for some strange reason. 9.gif

Here is what I would clean my drivers with.

home_duster_main.jpg

well my parents had a party at the house over thansgiving and had all their friends over with little kids. like 4 of them ranging from 6 months to 3 years old. Noone wondered close to the speakers or the TV. Grilles were off. Although one girl did jump on our coffee table that we imported and is relatively expensive. The top glass i think got scratched. Some parents just dont watch their kids...