Academy on ebay

3dzapper

Timbill I think the Academy would provide you a seamless stage across the front. I am certain Gary would agree. The center that you are using now will not match the timbre and sonic footprint of the Forte'. Digjr offered to build them new with all original components purchased from Klipsch but even doing so brings them to around $450-$500. It will cost you as much for another pair of Forte's to get the Academy if the bidding ends up they way it has been each time they pop up. If you could fit a Forte' laying sideways on your TV you may want to go that route instead, or use a Heresy II.

Its worth the hype, but I dont think its worth a ton of money if you can be patient.I had set myself at a limit of $450 for bidding on one, and had to lose 6 auctions with this bid before I got one. Also I ended up with a walnut one when all of my other speakers are black. I didnt really care all that much on the finish because I could refinish it if it was realy necessary.

I had an old KV-2 center before the Academy so it was needless to say a huge difference in soundstage for me. I also looked into a Heresy II or another Forte' to put on the center since I was losing so many Academy auctions, but I came to realize all of the work to make them fit/shield them for my TV would be a hassle.

It is definitely a seamless soundstage though now, just amazing when watching something like Finding Nemo recently as the fish talk when they go off-screen and they sound exactly like they did when they were talking through the center.

Bob

----------------

On 11/20/2003 11:01:48 AM tillmbil wrote:

I sure would like to have one.

Gary, is it worth all the hype? I have a RC3-2 right now to match my Forte's.

Lets talk up Bose and get everyone to buy that crap.

----------------

It depends. To me it was worth the $500 I paid. I HAD to have a smallish center and that's the best I could do. It beat out the heresy IMO for movies but not for music although it is more than adequate for 5.1 music which I listen to rarely. I'd rather have another cornwall or belle or lascala but they're out of the question, size wise. I wouldn't go over $500 though. Anyway, if it takes $500 to build one, it seems to me it's worth $500 to buy one and save the effort.

I never listen to music on the HT system using the center. I can set the DSP soundfield to Disco or Rock and only the other four speakers play. It sound much better this way.

This is the first Academy I have seen listed on a long time, I think this will also drive up the price. Seems the hype and lack of product makes them very hard to get.

I never listen to music on the HT system using the center. I can set the DSP soundfield to Disco or Rock and only the other four speakers play. It sound much better this way.

This is the first Academy I have seen listed on a long time, I think this will also drive up the price. Seems the hype and lack of product makes them very hard to get.