Best Klipsch bookshelfs of all time

Jonathan

What do you think? I need something small and moveable. I am currently enjoying some KG5.5's and I am moving to Brooklyn and need some bookshelf size speakers instead. It appears that RF3's go for the same price as RB5's, and since the bookshelfs will be on stands anyways, should I just go for the RF3s? I understand the RFs are not bookshelf speakers but they would have the same floor footprint as the RB5s. Im thinking of buying the speakers I choose, on ebay, and have them shipped to my new very small appartment. Any vintage Klipsch bookshelf suggestions?

Thanks much.

Jon

sirjonjk,

You probably could make up for the "full bodied sound", with a sub -however you will still find the Bookshelves will give you a smaller, boxer sound. (sorry). Plus with your statement that your moving into an apt...theirin brings up another whole new issue.................neighbors and sound levels..............

Either way you go, good luck and post some pics when you get settled.

beware the term bookshelf...the RBs have a problem in a bookshelf, back firing ports...making bookshelves the WRONG place for an RBx...small klipsch reference sleakers need to be placed on stands out into the room to give their best performance. for true bookshlef use look to speakers that use front firing ports or are not-ported. tony

All of the new bookshelfs have forward firing ports.

You can start with some RB-35's, or if you can afford them, some very nice RB-75's -- and then add a sub later. I believe you will find the newer models providing a little less dynamics, but providing an order or two more in refinement and smoothness.

RB75LARG.JPG

I dont know how the loons listen to the modern latest series Klipsch speakers with normal AV receivers and average sand amps. I have now heard the modern Klipsch speaker in several hifi-huts, just to sample what Klipsch is doing these days and they sounded VERY artificial to me when run with the average HT electronics on hand. I would really think this stuff needs some good amplification to do well. The inexpensive DVD player playing into the hi-tech AV receiver brought out ye olde "Lordy" from my jaws after a few differ cuts. I dont know where Klipsch is heading here but do know the HT crowd seems to thirst after this Uber crisp presentation.

On another note, I find 95% of all "bookshelf" speakers sound much, much better on quality stands out into the room with attention given in placement.

kh

Ummmmm.... Be sure to clean the gum off. A fresh coat of satan black wouldnt hurt. Also, dont put sand in the top unless you SEAL the bottom for fun. Lastly, the bases on most of those beasts are HUUUGE, looking a bit out of place. They appear to be either round and filed with 60s funk, or the X MARKS THE SPOT monsters needing a matchbook.

My advice is a healthy dose of four bits of blutack on the tops as well. Actually, decent speaker stands are now found in the $100 and less range online, these sand and shot fillable with better aesthetics than the average diner table. Then again, if you find a pair that fit the bill....

kh

"The inexpensive DVD player playing into the hi-tech AV receiver brought out ye olde "Lordy" from my jaws after a few differ cuts. I dont know where Klipsch is heading here but do know the HT crowd seems to thirst after this Uber crisp presentation."

Of course Heritage sounds SO much better through this type of gear.

Loon.

Good point. But most with Heritage freaka have learned from that path and there ARE VERY FEW Heritage sampling in thy AUDIO ENTERTAINMENT huts with modern AV bells and whistles 5 channel beasts with bronze face plates, remotes the size of Cleveland, and THEATER, GREAT HALL, JAZZ CLUB, ROCK-N-ROLL modes for your pleasure, all guaranteed to put the boom-chick, sizzle-pop back in your dive bombing ZERO.

Or something...

kh

Thanks for the input thus far. I wouldnt concider using RB's with out stands, so that shouldnt be a problem. Although my question was originally 'the best Klipsch bookshelfs of 'all time'. I was intending to find out if you all knew of any bookshelf sized speakers made by klipsch that sound as good or better than the new reference series. BTW, I tend to only buy used or cheap off of the internet (ebay).

Thanks again.

Jon

Jon, if your going to go used off ebay- Please consider , as others have said, the Heresy's. They work great with Stands, give you excellent sound, plus space wise are Not intrusive size wise! Heresys are a great speaker at good prices on ebay....

I would recommend the KG-1 or KG-1+ the only real wood bookshelfs that came in a sealed design so that they can actually be placed on a bookshelf, add a small 8" or 10" passive or powered subwoofer and you should be all set. If modern is what you are after my guess at the current "best" offerings in bookshelf speakers to be the RB-75's.

I enjoy looking down my nose at others.

The cold guy in Vermont is correct IMO. IMO, a pair of KG2.5's and an SW10II or an SW12II sub makes a nice sounding 2-channel setup. May not require less space than the 5.5's but it is moveable. But you will not get that warm fuzzy feeling that you spent thousand$ to achieve perfectly good sound reproduction.

Keith