ebay dumpster find

3dzapper

Oh well, just another pair of 1959 Klipschorns parted out!

I think you have to look at this in a very positive light--if this guy hadn't happened along these would be in a landfill by now.

I once parted out a pair of JBL Hartsfields with EXTENSIVE water damage--probably wouldn't do that today, but back in the 80's it was really the only option.

Who's got a Shorthorn pic?

(If I can get a pair of Altec Valencias <846 Utility cabs> in a two door Honda Accord, he wasn't trying very hard. I drove using 1st, 3rd and 5th only. If I had to reverse, I was screwed. The other was strapped into the open trunk using coax cable. Fortunately, it was only about 14 miles away. But then, I knew what I had.)

----------------

On 11/26/2003 3:02:13 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Who's got a Shorthorn pic?

(If I can get a pair of Altec Valencias <846 Utility cabs> in a two door Honda Accord, he wasn't trying very hard. I drove using 1st, 3rd and 5th only. If I had to reverse, I was screwed. The other was strapped into the open trunk using coax cable. Fortunately, it was only about 14 miles away. But then, I knew what I had.)

----------------

Where'd you find those valencias? The Marriotsville Rd. landfill/dump?

Gary,

I think I'd be very interested in the 15WK's and maybe the tweets, to see how they'd do in my horns, just as a lark. As I think you know, I have a fond memory of that vintage of 15WK -- time to see if it's real or not. How do I avoid being sniped, or do it myself?

Klipschfoot,

Go to http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/Klipsch.htm for a pic of the two Shorthorn models (I think p. 13 of the last year on that web page).

These drivers could have been the "K-Ortho-15" speaker option of the Model S Shorthorn. (The Model T, of which I had one a long time ago and which were supposed to be pretty rare, only had the 15", whereas the S could have either the the K-Ortho-12 or 15).

----------------

On 11/26/2003 4:16:09 PM larryclare wrote:

Gary,

I think I'd be very interested in the 15WK's and maybe the tweets, to see how they'd do in my horns, just as a lark. As I think you know, I have a fond memory of that vintage of 15WK -- time to see if it's real or not. How do I avoid being sniped, or do it myself?

----------------

Larry,

Go to auctionsniper.com and register. The rest is self-explanitory. The first 3 are free. Use 4 seconds. Works like a charm as long as nobody else outbids you doing the same. I've won 3 items that way. Also, you don't have to be at your computer to win. Put in your max. If you get outbid then someone obviously wanted them more than you and were willing to pay the price.

Good luck. I'd love to hear them with your k-horns. I'll help you set them up if you like.

Have a great Thanksgiving and I'll see you next week.

I am one step closer to moving to Klipschorns, at least decision-wise. I am getting ready to make sweeping changes in my system, something both unwise and not particularly sane (at least all at once), but given the variety of equipment that has cycled through without disturbing my main reference lineup, I consider myself probably one of the more stalwart members here. Like Allan, Artto, and a few others, my reference system has been virtually set in stone, pun hopefully overlooked.

Why change when things are floating so well? My last big change was moving TO Klipsch speakers, something else I thought I would never do. But these dumpster-like finds encourage all sorts of strange things (that and a handful of watts).

Actually, I need to put my sailboat in the water before Christmas or the weasels will close in with much gnashing of teeth followed by snapping and biting. Excess equipment will fund $$$ trailer.

Bless THY HOLE IN WATER for wallet.

kh

Actually, I'd be very interested in comments from members like John Albright who have in-depth knowledge of such things, on possible good and bad effects of substituting these old EV 15WKs for the K33-Es in my '62 K-horns. John, you may remember the odd throat configuration in my bass horns. Thanks!