Pole... Sub volumes. How high is the volume nob on your sub

m00n

I have clicks on my RSW-15. But anyway. -10 dB on my reciver and 12:00 on my RSW-15 with music and I simply turn it down to -15 with Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby digtial. 0 Is the highest and -20(still with sound)is the lowest(althought I can turn it completly off after -20).

CD

Dial position on a sub plate amp means nothing. It's a gain dial, not an absolute volume control. Having the dial at the mid point on one source could mean the amp is barely working, but on another source the amp could be clipping. The purpose of the dial you speak of on a subwoofer is to adjust for the variance in the strengths of different sources.

Get an SPL meter and some test tones. Level match your speakers. Whatever the gain dial on your sub ends up at is the correct position. With one receiver or preamp that could be the 3/4 mark, on another it could be the 1/4 mark. But in either case the output level, if you calibrated with test tones and a sound meter, will be the same.

Well, my original reason for asking was because I wanted to try and dermine the differences between their output level to mine...

What is the difference between gain and volume? Lets pretend that I am completely stupid here (ear, don't touch that one, I know it hurts but resist). I turn the nob and the volume gets louder. Sounds like a volume control to me.4.gif2.gif

My receiver does not allow me to adjust the output level for some reason. There is a bass level adjustment there with all the other speaker level adjustments, but the adjustment is always grayed out thus not allowing me to adjust it. I need to figure out why. All I can think is that it has something to do with the cross over settings or something on the HK7200. I have to admit that I have not spent as much time trying to play with my bass levels as I should.

m00n, you do need to figure out your receiver. Your sub gain should be set with a spl meter just high enough that you can set the sub level on your receiver somewhere around -3 to -5 and match your speaker levels. That way you have room to do

on the fly sub adjustments with your remote if you need to with

out ever changing the sub gain.

For what its worth I have the gain on my PB2+ set just over a third of the way up, and the sub level on my 3803 at -3. That puts it a couple dbs hot.

Volume dials are almost always mislabelled, more often than not they should be labelled as gain dials. Gain means the input signal is boosted. So no matter what the input signal is, you'll give it the same amount of boost with a given dial position. So with the dial set at zero, if your input signal is high enough you could still clip the amp.

Volume means you have an absolute control where max is max and min is min. Zero will always be no sound and max will always be as loud as the unit can go.

Over simplified, but basically correct.

Pole: something dancers and firefighters use.

Poll: what you are conducting.

9.gif

For my JBL sub and Parts Express amp, I am at the 9 to 11 o'clock position, and the volume seems very linear, so I am not pushing the sub. Quite amazing for 180 watts! In many music situations, I need to leave it at the 9 o'clock position or else it is too much bass (not deep, just drowning out the music)

m00n,I set my rsw 15 at about 1 o'clock,in a 500 sq ft room,if I turn up pre output the position may be 12:00.The point is all this don't matter cause it will be diff for almost everyone.I think the 7200 is a very good unit,when you get time you should study the manual to take advantage of all the great features it has.