300B PP Monoblocks

Deang

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manley Neo-Classic SE/PP 300B

This is the perfect amp for you if you can find it used. It is a Push-Pull AND Parallel SET 300B Monoblock that is switchable. It has FEEDBACK that can be dialed in from ZERO to 10dB. I havent read anything bad about it. While not my cup of tea, these monoblocks would satisfy A LOT of your needs in one go and would be an amazing tool that is tunable for different speakers, situations, music, etc. It's tube rectified with TWIN 5U4.

manley_300se.jpg

Vacuum Tubes: 2 x 300B (Output), 1 x 6SN7 (Driver), 1 x 6SL7 (Input), 2 x 5U4 (Rectifier)

Output Power @ 1Khz with 5 dB FeedBack in SINGLE-ENDED: 11 Watts @ 3% THD

Output Power @ 1Khz with 5 dB FeedBack in PUSH-PULL: 24 Watts @ 1.5% THD.

Frequency Response with 5 dB FB in SINGLE-ENDED: 15 Hz - 15 Khz +/- 0.5 dB (measured at 5 watts)

Frequency Response with 5 dB FB in PUSH-PULL: 10 Hz - 20 Khz +/- 0.5 dB

GAIN: 20db w/10dB FB setting; 30dB w/0dB FB setting in SE mode

Input Sensitivity with 5db FB SINGLE ENDED: 700mV

Input Sensitivity with 5db FB PUSH-PULL: 450mV

S/N Ratio: SINGLE ENDED: 83.5dB Ref. 1W; 2.83v//8 ohms,20KHz BW; 5dB FB.

PUSH-PULL: 85.4dB Ref. 1W; 2.83v//8 ohms; 20KHz BW; 5dB FB.

Dynamic Range: SINGLE ENDED: 94dB Ref. 3% THD; 20KHz BW; 5dB FB.

PUSH-PULL: 99.5dB Ref. 1.5% THD; 20KHz BW; 5dB FB.

Input Impedance: 100Kohm, direct coupled.

Load Impedance (switchable): 4 to 12 Ohms appropriate for 4 & 8 ohm speakers

12 to 20 Ohms appropriate for 16 ohm speakers

That would be way more than I could justify. There has to be some trade offs somewhere in that setup. If it was me I would first just dive right into having both topologies and get a set of DRD's and a great Push Pull !! Both being minimal compromise designs and not much more cash outlay.

Jeff, Read the review I linked to. You will see how the original amp came about as well as some interesting comments. Todd Warnke aint my favorite but his comments are worth a read.

ie argument between David Manley (Manley Labs and former VTL) and Peter Qvuortrop of Audio Note over circuit topology

kh

ps - When have you been sure of anything besides the fact I am coming up there to plant one Dr. Marten in femur?

I don't think David Manley has much to do with the company anymore, as according to the website he left the country. EveAnna is pretty much in charge.

Dean, they make a 300B linestage. It's over $5k though.

Marvel

Dean and others - An excerpt you might find interesting:

Staging(in single-ended mode), a solid point of the push-pull Neo-Classic, was expanded in all three dimensions. The Telarc recording of Arvo Parts' Fratres with the I Fiamminghi orchestra takes place in the relatively small Basilica of Bonne Esperance in Vellereille-les-Brayeux Belgium, and is a well executed recording, using among other fine audiophile gear, E.A.R. tube mics and mixing console. In p-p mode the Neo-Classics drew an architectural blueprint of the layout. Switch into single-ended and the blueprint became a building with stone, wood and glass. Boundaries were solid but also hinted at what lay beyond. And placement in the stage took on more definition with added density for each player.

Dynamically the single-ended Neo was as surprising as the push-pull version had been. I came to it expecting a live micro level to make up for a soft macro punch and was tripped up. Sure, the micro was all I had expected, and more. Listening to Tal Farlow pluck and caress his Gibson guitar while Tommy Flanagan and Gary Mazzaroppi anchor the beat on Chromatic Palette was a revelation as pieces of his art, of his skill at subtle pressure changes were laid bare. But drop in Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antarctica and hold on. When the organ bursts in the Landscape movement, the sound is simply glorious. In absolute terms the s-e version was very close to the p-p mode, but considering that s-e is not supposed to do this, the single-ended performance was even more remarkable.

As for PRAT, the overall improvements added an edge here as well. Tonal beauty often comes with a floating leading edge and a Technicolor tail, which seem to distract from timing. Not here. Definite, controlled and precise is the only way to describe the Neo single-ended.

As a whole these changes (to single-ended) raise the Neo-Classic to the level of a true classic, at least if you, as I do, think the purpose of an amp is to release music from media. On disk after disk, on licorice pizza, on FM, even when playing back an internet ambient radio station via a broadband connection, I felt myself being moved by a deep and complete emotional connection to the music. If this isn't why we listen, then I am not just on the wrong page, I'm reading the wrong book.

----------------

On 12/3/2003 2:10:59 PM DeanG wrote:

Craig? Jeff? ANYONE?

----------------

The partial cathode bias, partial fixed bias leave me cold. Apart from that, it seems OK. The 6AU6/5687 tube selection is interesting. But again... why the cathode resistor and bypass cap if it's to run it fixed bias?

The Manley would retain it's value for the "back to Audiogon" in 4 months. Probably not the kit.

I say....convince jeff to build you a pair. NO WAY you can get that kind of value and performance from a factory unit...take a few hundred dollars of the money you will save and use it buying great french wine and flowers, send them to jeff until he agrees...

...or else buy the DRD 300B version and upgrade some parts...

whatever, tony

I still think the Manley would be the way to go. It would allow Dean to compare the sound of Parallel SET and PP 300B with dialable feedback. These amps get nothing but positive comments by the press, which also means easy going come sale time. At the least, they seem pretty damn interesting and readng the reviews would make any freak a believer. One ok review is notable. FOUR BIG raves is worth more than a thought. Who knows is right. I prefer the 2A3 over the 300b in general.

Seems ole Jeff retired from the amp business for now, but if you feel like putting up some SERIOUS ducats over $4,500 USD you might be able to talk him into selling his PP 2A3 Monoblocks being made. Then again, everything is always for sale... Just ask BigBusa.

kh