Moondogs are not made of chicken bones!

jazman

----------------

On 12/4/2003 9:45:43 PM neo33 wrote:

Paul and Craig, can you tell me why I am dumping my 100W McIntosh SS monoblocks (as much as I love McIntosh sound) to "downgrade" to the sound of a mere 3.5W SET monoblocks?

----------------

Does it have anything to do with Trinity? What a looker! If she communicated to me in a vision to buy SET, I'd buy SET.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think much of it has to do with getting the tubes into their sweet spot, and with SET, it just gets sweeter sooner.

We've pretty much beaten this to death. Everyone just has to shell out the bucks and decide for themselves.

Neo, you remind me of me about two years ago. Enjoy the ride, it's fun.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 8:28:14 PM mobile homeless wrote:

... with the same tone and delivery as someone commenting on fungus spreading in a YMCA show stall....

kh

----------------

Classic ... Damn, that one's going onto the MH Hall of Analogy Fame list.

I have to chime in here ... all caveats apply ... but I just LOVE the sound of my Horus with the Klipschorns. I don't listen at levels much above 90db too often (the other night with the drop-in fellows was an exception) but these little flea-sized -- B E A U T I F U L -- amps certainly are the essence of musicality and articulated MUSIC.

The hell with tweaking.

PParrot, beautiful home and great listening room, I'm sure.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 8:41:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

90% romantic refined perception of Sophistication

10% they truly like the way it sounds

----------------

There is definitively something special with good low power DHT SET amps. I think I have some pretty good reference amps to say so. I'm refering to my Tenor Audio OTL here. Personally, I think you don't know transient and peak handling until you heard this amp.

If you have a good SET amp, it's way more than a romantic perception of sophistication. In the right room with the right set-up, it's a musical experience.

Do I think that SET is THE ultimate? Nope, but strangely I really can't live without one.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 8:41:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

why do you think people go with 3.5w single-ended amplifiers over 50w glorious watts of pp?

I can answer that

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

90% romantic refined perception of Sophistication

10% they truly like the way it sounds

----------------

Craig,

The ******* things you say so many times are truly astounding! I guess that's why Dean is always attempting to re-interpret what you say.

Maybe I need to say a few more things.

Whether you realize it or not, these amps will make you "feel" the impact of the music.

Formal music training will teach a few more principles like;

High volume does not automaticlly mean quality music. In fact, it usually means the opposite.

Without revealing the name of the individual, I would like to present a portion of an email with someone who owns an SE-1 SET amp, who purchased my AE-3 preamp. Speaking of his SE-1, this is what he had to say.

"Yeah, it's a very nice sounding amp, the nicest I've had on my system. I came across it quite by accident in two pickup truck loads of stuff that I bought for $300 from the wife of a deceased audio repairman. I didn't know what a tube was at the time. There were about 2000 NOS tubes in with all that stuff, other amplifiers, all kinds of components, electronic parts, tools, test gear, speakers, etc.... It was quite a deal, my once in a lifetime deal. I've topped $3500 on the tubes so far, and another $1500 on the other stuff, not including what I kept for myself. I had the SE-1 for a couple of months before I dug it out and decided to plug it in to see if it worked. When I hooked it up to my Khorns, I was immediately taken aback by the sound. I had never heard anything like that. My whole audio world was turned upside down. In a matter of a few weeks, I went from the idea of dual mono 200 watt Macs on my Khorns with dual 18" powered subwoofers, to this 3 wpc flea amp, and I haven't turned back yet. I'm always playing around with other things, but it only takes a few minutes to switch everything back over the purity of the SET and indulge myself."

NOW,

I've heard a $40,000 system. Do any of you remember that post? Without much interest, there was no need to say more. Believe me, power(wpc), and dollars do not necessarily make a system that transmits the emotion of music into a rewarding musical experience. Maybe one day you will mature enough to understand it. Hopefully I can return to a state of mind that ignores this "drivel" from you. Drivel in my usage here is defined as "to talk childishly or idiotically"

Klipsch out.

On 12/4/2003 7:07:09 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

. . . gaining dynamics means sacrificing
some
sublimity.

----------------

This has not been demonstrated to me and I remain an unbeliever until I experience it for myself.

Jazman, do you use your Belles anymore?

----------------

Paul,

I have no problem with your disbelief. In the interim, please table the misinformation campaign about SET amps until you have the experience.

As for the Belles, at present I am not using them. I still don't know if I will get a case Khorn refinish fever. What a speaker to have in standby mode heh?

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 10:41:25 PM jazman wrote:

I have no problem with your disbelief. In the interim, please table the misinformation campaign about SET amps until you have the experience.

As for the Belles, at present I am not using them. I still don't know if I will get a case Khorn refinish fever. What a speaker to have in standby mode heh?

----------------

I think I'm being pretty restrained, especially with the UPS woman.

I just thought you might want to sell your Belles to me if you don't use them, but I don't know if they're walnut, and I don't know if you're within easy driving distance of Ohio.

LOL -- I "interpret" for Craig because I KNOW him, and a post like the one that just set you off was completely in jest. We know SET probably sounds outstanding -- no one here ever denied that. The only thing really being addressed was the appropriate amount of power for various circumstances, music, and listening habits. If you spent even 10 minutes with Craig, the "Beak" Parrot, or me in a listening room -- you'd be heading for the door. All we are saying is that 1) we like it louder than most probably do, 2) SET ain't going to get for us most of time, and 3) at the volumes we enjoy, with the music we like -- subtle sublimity is lost within the "glorious excess". At lower volumes, it's sublime enough. We don't care anymore about ultimate sublimity than you care about recreating, or truly bringing a Symphony or Rock Band into your listening room. It's just a matter of different needs.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 10:33:34 PM paulparrot wrote:

Trinity reading the Klipsch Forum. "Am I a Single-Ended kind of girl or more of a Push-Pull? Hmmmm?"

trinity.jpg

----------------

Damn she's still hot after all these years! That's my girl, baby! And she'll always be an SE kind of girl, Paul.

PP,

They are walnut and I have not convinced myself to sell them. The San Francisco Bay may be a bit too far from Ohio, although maybe the opportunity to listen to a pair of Moondogs would be worth it.16.gif Some things are priceless!

Klipsch out.

PS. Someone should tell Trinity that hanging out with that Neo guy will get her killed. She should be writing me!

"Neo33,

You're going to have to choose. It's me or Kelly's Moondogs.

Love,

Trinity"

I can have both and I don't have to choose. I have you Trinity, my love and I shall have the Moondogs as well.

PS. Just talked to Trinity on the phone and she said I don't have to choose.

Hi Jazman,

I've been to California only a few times, San Francisco twice. Sure is a beautiful city. But that's too far away for me to drive. Although it would be fun to hear your amps in your room.

Sorry, I think you probably did mention before where you live, and I forgot.