B&K Reference 50 Anyone Want it for $1500?

Frzninvt

The unit would not display a picture with the tape monitor engaged, you could set up a memory for it, but every time you power up the unit it would not retain the preset and you would have to go through the sequence again - annoying! It emits a thump just like the Denon when toggling between DPL II and DD in the digital domain, B&K says this is normal. Sonically superior but the ease of use for all family members is lacking, you must remember I am not the only person that uses it. I just found out the Denon AVR-4802R or any of the newer Denon A/V receiver don't even have a tape monitor loop so I guess I am stuck with dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the B&K unit.

Give it some time, maybe it will grow on you. There are usually ways to set up your gear to make it easier for others to use.

What is the thump you get on the Denon receiver when you go from DPLII to DD? I use a Denon 3803 in one of my setups and I've never heard a thump.

" It emits a thump just like the Denon when toggling between DPL II and DD in the digital domain, B&K says this is normal."

That may be transport related. Some DVD players are very bad about format changes and do all sorts of weird things over the digital output and some are much better.

My Pioneer has all sorts of thumps and such on format changes, layer changes and menu repeats. My Sony is silent.

Shawn

I'm not sure how you plan to use the tape monitor...

If it is simply to monitor a cassette deck, it was my understanding that the new Denon receivers did support that feature, using the "Zone 2" button, though I may be wrong (I do not have one of these receivers personally).

As an aside, it seems like most of the new A/V receivers have dropped this function... too bad as some of us still have cassette decks.

Regards

Greg

Greg,

" it seems like most of the new A/V receivers have dropped this function...  too bad as some of us still have cassette decks."

It is more difficult to implement in current A/V receivers since interally the signal is usually digital. Remember most analog inputs are converted to digital so the signal can be processed by the receivers DSP section.

If they put the tape loop ahead of the DSP section (where it would need to go really) they might be able to leave analog signals analog until the input from the tape monitor where it would need to be converted to digital. But for digital inputs you would have to convert to analog for the tape out, then reconvert to digital on the tape monitor input to feed to the DSP section.

And for non-PCM digital inputs (DD,DTS) the tape monitor wouldn't work at all.

Shawn

Frzninvt :

I am really sorry to hear of your disenchantment with your new rig. I was all excited for you when I read that you had got it. What a difficult way to discover that something does not live up to expectations. That, in itself, is probably the worst aspect of this hobby. Hopefully, it does not happen to us very often. I am sure that you most-likely researched everything thoroughly before you purchased it, and unfortunately, this set of issues probably were not revealed in the research. I wish to extend my deepest sympathy to you. I hope you are able to find a piece of equipment that resolves your issues quickly. Please let us all know what that is when you find it.

Best regards, -Picky

I actually bought a Ref. 50 and took it back within a week because of the noise, thumps, etc and purchased the Stage One. Audition this pre/pro. I tried out everything (Lex. MC8, Classe SSP60, Anthem AVM20, B&K, Rotel) and the Stage One IMO was superior to all these other pre/pros in 2 channel as well as HT plus it is very simple in the set up. Try it out and you will be impressed.9.gif

I would love an Aragon One, so if you want to send me the additional $1500 I would need to purchase one after parting with the B&K Ref 50 I would be overjoyed to pick one up. However, there are no dealers in my area and doubt that the nearest Authorized Dealer would sell me one over the phone.