Recommended amps for the RF-7's

stream

I've had a pair of RF-7's for a little over a year now, and I love them. However, I'm running them on an Onkyo TX-SV636 receiver, which puts out 100wpc. I have a strong feeling this isn't the best amp for these speakers :)

I'd be looking to spend about $400 or $500. I've looked into the Rotel RA-02 (or RA-01), which got incredible reviews when it came out. I've also considered the NAD C320BEE. But, both of those are integrated amps, which I might want to stay away from if I can get better pre-amp and amp components for roughly the same price.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

-jesse

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prodj101.

Amen brother. Leo I don't think he means it will do it all the very best but do it all in a very pleasing and respectable manor. This is my Goals for my own amps and my customers !

I would suggest a Vintage Scott, Fisher, Stromberg Carlson, EICO, Heathkit integrated tube amp in your price range ! At least if your open to used vintage and Tubes. I think you will fond Deang posting here which he has owned vintage integrated with RF7 speakers.

Craig

If you're not willing to go down the road of a tube amp, I've had good luck with my Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro. These little jewels run in Class A, sound warm, and don't suffer from the harshness that some experience when combining Klipsch and solid state gear. If you're in to 2 channel listening, definately spend the effort to pair the Monarchy with a good preamp. Monarchy makes a couple of their own, but I've not tried them.

I listen to a wide variety of music: Dave Matthews Band, U2, John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, the Flecktones, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against the Machine, lots of jazz bands (Galactic, Soulive, MMW, John Scofield, etc.), classical, and many other things. I listen to a lot of live stuff, so I need exceptional clarity and warmth.

I've thought about tube amps (which would definitely give me warmth), especially since I could get a 15 or 20 watt tube amp that would be perfect for the RF-7's since they're so efficient. But, to be honest, I don't know much about them, so I don't know where to start or how to compare them.

Thanks for the recommendations though...I'll look into them.

-Jesse

Parasound has an interesting amp called a Zamp (under $300, but needs a volume control or preamp, unless your source has volume control). It's decent for ss and might hold you while you decide on something real good, like the Sugden class A ss ($1500 I think) or tube. Cambridge Audio has some inexpensive integrated amps that might be OK. Both Parasound and Cambridge are available from audioadvisor.com. Some people here have done well with older HK, but I have no experience with those.

For classical, esp violins, amplification is very important w/ RF-7s. I think it is more critical than with the more classic Klipsch 3-ways in that regard. I have found that all class A tube (no class B in pp operation) is a must with the RF-7s .. for violin, chamber music, and surprisingly, voice in the Messiah. (the Chorus-IIs had a grander presentation of the Messiah, but the RF-7s were better with the solo vocals. In choral sections, the RF-7s were cleaner, but Chorus-II had a grander scale).

Leo

So, what do you guys think the Rotel RA-02 will sound like on the RF-7's? The reason I shy away from vintage integrated tube amps is because most of them are under 20 watts. Even though the RF-7's put out 102db @ 1w @ 1m, I just can't see 10-20 watts being enough. I like the dinosaur's steps and roars in Jurassic Park to be offendingly powerful and loud :)

Plus, I simply hesitate to buy anything that's 30 or 40 years old, you know? Even if it's been rebuilt, I still arch an eyebrow at something that old.

Am I simply being an idiot for not wanting a vintage integrated tube amp, or will I be fine with the Rotel RA-02?

-Jesse

Then buy a modern tube amp. Hell, there are MANY MANY to select from at reasonable prices, probably more now than at any time in YEARS. And the used options at a place like AudiogoN gives you the ability to buy higher up the food chain for less ducats, keeping the chain alive.

Many sub 1K tube amps would bring more life and quality to those RF-7. Something like a used pair of Quicksilver amps would make the Rotel seem sterile comparatively. Even those Jolida Hybrid amps seem more compelling as well as CHEAP to boot.

kh

With any ss amp you risk getting your ears drilled out with a lot of distortion. Klipsch speakers operate at very low power, and most ss amps have very high distortion at those low powers. The Rotel may very well be no better than what you are using now .. better audition first.

Leo

I am quite convinced that music is much better with low to moderate power tube amps (especially SETs) on Klipsch speakers. It is even better to have an all tubes home theater system. My dream is to build a 5.1 system using all tubes and all Klipsch Heritages.

Neo,

That is a good dream project to work on. I had HT mixed with my audio system in my old basement. Khorns, Belle, and Heresies with all EICO power. Everybody who heard it loved it.

But in the new joint we decided to not have TV on the main floor of the house at all, and since I listen to music vastly more than I watch movies, I don't miss the TV a bit. As a matter of fact, with the TV I use in the bedroom, I just listen through its built-in speakers. Quite a drop from Klipschorns, but . . .

Actually, I'm not sure I'll run into any distortion problems with certain SS amps. The Rotel RA-01 and the NAD C320BEE have a THD level of 0.03% at all frequencies at full wattage. I looked around at some Jolida integrated and hybrids, and their THD is more like "less than 0.1%".

-Jesse

Its the Onkyo,dump it and get a real avr(at least),I once tried a 898 w/rf7's,worst thin I ever heard(for 1.3k).I left Onkyo at that point and got a Denon 3802 and it was like night and day.I later added a Parasound 1205a,class A/AB,that took me where I wanted to go,more power/db's than I could ever use w/no audible distortion.

----------------

On 12/8/2003 6:54:55 PM stream wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure I'll run into any distortion problems with certain SS amps. The Rotel RA-01 and the NAD C320BEE have a THD level of 0.03% at all frequencies at full wattage. I looked around at some Jolida integrated and hybrids, and their THD is more like "less than 0.1%".

-Jesse

----------------

Take Leo's advice and audition.

The distortion in SS has a tendency to graph like a U. Meaning distortion is higher at < 1 watt than it is at full power. SS stat's are chosen at full power because that is where they look the best on paper, but that is not where you will be listening the most.

Also, comparing SS distortion to tube distortion is sometimes apples to oranges given the different types of harmonic distorions rated in the stats.

Though there are those of us who have had things go wrong with our vintage gear, there are also those of us who have had near-disasters with more modern gear. A properly rebuilt vintage amp is about as reliable as it gets. A good rebuilder gives more attention to quality control than a factory worker.

If you can get past your reservations about vintage gear, you will enter a price/performance ratio that, to me, is right in the sweet spot.

Craig may have held back for decorum's sake, but I think he has some amps kicking around that need a good home. I'm sure he would offer you a good deal, and many forum members can attest to his service. That would be a quick way to try vintage gear, and these units would most likely hold their value if you decide it's not for you.