Blues verus Jazz

NOSValves

Craig,

you need to go out and find a store that sells talking books on CD. Buy Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea."

Hit your used record store and ask the jazz/blues clerk to get you their 10 favorite blues albums prior to 1970. Hit the older English folk/blues groups like early Fleetwood Mac, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, and the Chieftans, and cherry pick one or two of their better selections. Get Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks." The interesting aspect to opening one's horizons is that everything becomes new, and you begin to see threads that are common to most "good" music.

You already have one of the best stereo systems in Michigan(at least in a basement.) Now is the time to get your music collection to that level of excellence.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish me luck tomorrow.

I was the first to reach the elderly woman in the pennysaver add:

Jazz lp collection, large, excellent condition, 50s, 60s, 70s, $75.

I spoke to her and her deceased brother was a jazz fanatic. She's giving me first dibs. Sounds like there might be equipment for sale also.

Beat you again Klipschfoot!9.gif

And I do prefer jazz to blues although I like both. Right now I'm listening to Miles Davis, "Ballads." Very relaxing.

Guest Anonymous

Gary,

Rots of ruck!!Heh heh heh, Just joking, good luck and my the stars be lined up right. And after the STEEL deal, let me know if you have dups, cause I have a TT on the way but I gots no LP's yet, and I could definatly use some2.gif3.gif If you know what I mean. Let me know if ya get extra please.

Smilin w/o LP's8.gif

Right now I already got lots and I just gave 500 or so to charity! What table did you get?

BTW - The 240 is much different sound than a scott. Way more headroom and bass but slightly less clarity. With the right tubes and preamp, it can be a sweet sounding combo, especially if you like to listen at high DBs. If all the lettering is there and it's clean, it can fetch big ducketts even if it needs a little work. I can blow the doors off the house with mine way better than the scott but prefer the NOSValves scott at reasonable volume. I also love the way it looks.

Guest Anonymous

Gary, I'm starting out with the thorens 125 from Marksdad, It is on the way to me now, I am ordering the Shure that you use(how u like), and I think I may stay away from the mcintosh 240, c22 for now until I see how much I like the TUBE sound with the cornwall's. Oh btw I may be getting a pair of 1979 ZEBRAWOOD cornwall with alnico if it's OK with you, I really need to copy your sig(only with your permission)2.gif3.gif Do you REALLY think I should jump on the mac equipment?

And I really do need some LP's my buddy who owns the store in springfield is not available for about 60 days for he is on sabatical and the damn store is closed.

Smilin 10.gif

Smilin,

The shure matches very well with Thorens from my experience. Not a bad idea to wait on the macs although from what I saw you wouldn't lose any $$$ on the deal. Ebay is a great place for lps. I just got brand new sealed copies of Pink Floyd Animals and Wish You Were Here and Grateful Dead In The Dark ($8, $10, $2.25). Animals is a Japanese version and those barking dogs sound like they're coming from across the street! Tell me what you like and chances are I can send you a few.

BTW, I just won a sweet original Marantz 7 cabinet for my 7C on ebay for $200. The last one went for $355 and I was outbid by $5. Now I'm glad although the other was slightly nicer looking but pictures and descriptions can be deceiving. Timing is everything on ebay.

----------------

On 12/8/2003 1:40:35 PM mobile homeless wrote:

If you think Diana Krall has tons of soul and heart, may I suggest you get blown away by the soul and heart of Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith, Sarah Vaughan, etc. Man, I am trying my hardest to find modern takes that have this feeling. I do think Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" to be a fine CD, especially sonically. This CD does wonders with tubes and horns.

The problem with the likes of someone like Billie Holiday or Bessie Smith is that the recording quality is relatively mediocre yet the emotion, soul, and feeling come through intact. It doesnt bother me as it becomes part of the presenation, but some are really put off but this.

kh

----------------

mobile...have you tried any Eva Cassiday? If not...try the "live at blues alley" cd. One of the few jazz singers of today that sings with the soul of the great lady's of jazz.

The Cd is more on the jazz side of things than the blues...but it's still good ;)

As far as Blues Vs Jazz...Heck...it's all gooood 16.gif

However, when it comes to blues, I do prefer the older type blues...rather than the rock blues, that many bands today play. Recently, the wife took me to see Elvin Bishop at a small club for my birthday 9.gif...Now Elvin bishop is by no means a new blues man...in fact...he's been around for years and years. He's got that rock blues sound, that does sound good...it's kinda like Stevie Ray...long before Stevie Ray was playin'. So anyways...I'm sitting there enjoying Elvin playin' his music...when out walks Little Smokey Smothers. Suddenly the whole sound changed...it was great! I kept thinking...now THIS is the blues...old time blues!

As far as BB King...he does have some good albums out...and some that I'd rather pass on. For some reason the Clapton & King album is one that I'd pass on. Don't know why??? I love both of the music they play...and have seen them several times in concert...but there's just something about both of them that doesn't sound right ta me...I just don't know why???

One album of the newer albums of BB's that I do love is "Let The Good Times Roll". It's a tribute to the "Let The Good Times Roll: The Anthology 1938-1953" By Louis Jordan. Both BB's tribute and Louis Jordan's album are quite good. Although the Louis Jordan recording is less than good.

take care>>>>>>>>>