Blues verus Jazz

NOSValves

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly I missed this!

I have a host of stuff I know you might like but almost EVERY single thing is on vinyl, which, as we talked about before, is more a pain to transfer to MP3 for a sample. At least in my case, since the machines are too far apart.

Really Kelly don't bother going to the trouble of transferring them to MP3 I'll be easy just send me all the LP's 9.gif<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Craig, Check out Fat Possum Records. Blues with a punk attitude played by a slowly dying off breed of musicians from the Hill country of Mississippi as opposed to the more familar Delta area. How authentic is it? I don't know but their motto is "it's not the same old blues crap". I like almost everything on the label but you might start R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and the Black Keys. At fatpossum.com naturally.

Steve

----------------

On 12/8/2003 8:15:01 PM Allan Songer wrote:

www.jazzandblues.org

Best jazz station in the country and they are about 1.5 miles from here.

Check it out.

----------------

Hey Allan,

Chuck Niles emcee'd the Dotty Woodward Benefit. What a day! My favorites were Barbara Morrison, Carl Saunders Big Band, Dave Pell, Ricky Woodard, John Heard, Sam Most, Dave Pell, a drummer with the last name Nash, Ernie Andrews and on and on. Some of the players were so old they could barely walk, but they all had no trouble playing! It was very cool being there with my in-laws as they introduced me to quite a few of the players. Some of the stories they told were unreal. What full lives these people live.

Wish you could have been there,

Chris

PS I scored in the raffle also. Among other things, I won a signed copy of a Johnny Mandel chart.

Jazz selection I can't add anything that Allan and Kelly have not mentioned.

Allan has his top 100 favorite list. This is a great starting place to hear the old masters. I have not been let down yet. Watch when Kelly and Allan are talking about an artist.

The blues is another hard class of music to get a hold on. Everyone knows that Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Howlin Wolf,Buddy Guy, etc. are the real deal, but they have so many albums out that are so bad ( song selection or recording) that if you buy the wrong one you wonder what the big deal is.

For blues I would start with:

*Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection. It 2 CD's 70 minutes each for less than $18. If you like that they also have a 25 and 30 year collection.

Little Charlie & the Nightcats- Captured Live

Willie Dixon- Chess Record Box Set. It seems like he wrote most of the Blues songs that you have heard.

Smokin Joe Kubek Band- Crying For The Moon

Charlie Musselwhite- One Night In America (not one of his real blues Cd's, but one of my favorite CD)

Pinetop Perkins, Etta James, Ruth Brown, Jonny Lang ( not his newest one), Buddy Guy (the Real Deal), Blind Pig Records (Best Of), Freddie King, Albert Collins,Albert King,and that's all I can think of now.

RL Burnside I would wait on. I have 3 of his Cd's and I like maybe 4 songs. I would be very surprised if you like him.

Was it just me or was the PBS Blues special a let down, compared to the Ken Burns Jazz special?

If you do go country start with Radney Foster.

Good Luck,

Danny

I have a number of Blues albums one of which, Wild Child Butler, is a direct to disk recording that is amongst the best albums I have quality wise. I find Blues to be something I really have to be in the mood for and that is fairly rare. Much more often I will settle down to some Soul music...

Its also interesting to see the effect Black Slave music has had across all genre's of music. Dvorak picked up some of these tunes and turned them into Symphonies. Belafonte made a career from Folk music out of them. Jazz and Blues extended and adapted them, Rock and Sould grew off from there....

As for those that don't get Opera - dont worry - Opera gets you. There is something utterly unique to the medium that will grab you one day when you least suspect it. Ultimately it is important to pick your Opera's in the beginning. Some are easier to adapt to than others and you will find many familiar tunes which again helps to adjust to its different rythm.

If anyone is interested in trying it out I would suggest starting with highlight recordings rather than leaping into a whole Opera.

Good places to start would be:

1. Bizet - Carmen. (most famous for the marches - not a bad story line either)

2. Mozart - Marriage of Figaro, The Magic Flute, Cosi fan Tutte. All wonderfully musical - great evening listening.

3. Rossini - the Barber of Seville (one of my favorites), William Tell and Othelo (bit more tricky - not at first).

4. Verdi - Aida (huge and wonderful - go for the highlights though - its a bit long in the full)

5. Puccini - La Boheme, Madame Butterfly and Tosca (not Turandot - one great song does not an Opera make!) If you can try to get a performance by Callas - the greatest soprano in history!

6. Strauss (Richard) - Der RosenKavalier (probably 2nd tier but rolls along nicely once you are into the swing of things)

7. Strauss (Johann) - Die Fliedermaus (light touches will have you waltzing round the room)

8. Offenbach - The Tales of Hoffman. Heavy drama!

I wouldnt start anyone with Wagner - it is very heavy (although it does contain catchy tunes you will be familiar with - the Ride of the Valkirie (Götterdämmerung) probably being the most famous). Mozart's don Giovani is probably in a similar category but again it is one of my favorites.

The above is a ludicrously short list just off the top of my head - another idea is to go over to www.naxos.com where they have a great introduction to Opera and cover a far wider gamut of the available works than I have here.

Opera will get you in the end.

Thanks for the List, Max. I end up going to opera more than playing it and always end up appreciating the music over the vocals. A sad admission. I have a few on the list above but want to add more.

Synthfreak, Drinkin' lechin' & Lyin' is a must have if for the cover alone, the main reason why this Boss Hog LP is REALLY so hard to find. There is reason why that blown out Svetlana is in view as there was nothing but boots and gloves for Cristina(and even those werent normal). Not sure if the Klipsch Forum can handle this much Blues-Noise-Dirge-Spurge but at 5:25am, I was thinking about puttin' it on to hear a little DANDELION. The early Boss Hog is the best by far...actually, nothing equals Drinkin'...

boss_hog.jpg

Cristina in person was a sight to behold, probably one of the most naturally beautiful in the New York scene since ole Debra Harry of old (she was from DC). She made herself up for that cover but in person, she is amazing. I saw them in the mid late 80s and early 90s several times (and the great noise-fest ***** Galore before that). ***** Galore/Boss Hog/Jon Spencer Blues Explosion were ALL great live. Add to that mix the Honeymoon Killers. If you like early Boss Hog, you'd like the Honeymoon Killers. Sadly, I never got to see ole Cristina sing in the nude, I believe done only her first show at CBGBs from rumor only.

I am tempted to throw an MP3 up and would if any of it were digital. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is also a must see live - insanely good show when they are up for it. Jon even drags the Theremin out (another must SEE if you havent seen one - Jimmy Page made it more famous with his use in Dazed and Confused)! You seen them? ***** Galore used a Chevy gas tank as a snare for awhile but I never saw that beauty again after 87.

Drinkin'Lechin'& Lyin' is now almost impossible to find anywhere unless on ebay. I am only trying to imagine the Klipsch Forum listening to P-ssy Galore's RIGHT NOW!...

kh

Blues and jazz have so much in common, there's really a lot of crossover between them. I honestly couldn't pick which I like more, though I know I own more jazz..a lot more jazz, considering that I only have a couple of blues albums.

Bluegrass, now, there's some good stuff. I honestly put the better bluegrass musicians in my list of the best players of all time. A good, well recorded intro to bluegrass would be Bela Fleck's Bluegrass Sessions Volume 2. Not only is Fleck an incredible banjo player in his own right (banjo can be an acquired taste, just to warn ya, but when it's played well, it's an incredible instrument), but on that one, he was seeking to surround himself by the masters of the field, so you hear many of the best players around. Another of the popular ones is the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. If you aren't into pop-country, you might want to be a little careful about buying bluegrass albums; many of the good bluegrass artists recently have been slicked up by nashville, which I almost always thing is for the worse. Also, if you ever get to see live bluegrass, it's worth the experience!

I'm from east Tennessee; we're pretty fortunate to have a fair amount of these players relatively local, so we have bluegrass festivals a couple of times a year. Great stuff!

I saw the "o brother where are thou" soundtrack on vinyl at www.elusivedisc.com about a year ago.

I was so surprised, having recently seen the movie, I bought it.

Bit repetitive but great sound. People still know how to record onto vinyl it seems, and a few of the songs are really good.

Hmmm - I think I will dig it out tonight and have a listen...

Horns and horns go so well together. I listen to the "Big Band and Swing" channel when I don't feel like putzing with LPs or CDs.Mostly upbeat and peppy tunes all afternoon. There are so many different bands and styles in there from the Dorseys to Dizzy and Duke. As a matter of fact Dukes "The C Jam Blues" is up now.

Rick

"You shouldnt have to acquire a taste for anything???? It should grab you by the seat of the pants from the very beginning???? "

WHAT?

Tomatoes, Hubbard squash, horsradish, sushi and others are acquired tastes.

I just had a little Glenlivet 18 year old Scotch in Mexico Tuesday night.

We only have a smooth Jazz station in Detroit; it stinks.

Some artists like Monk is intersting in a group but solo I am still acquiring a taste for curretnly.

Pat Metheny and Jeff Lorber are kind of crossover JAzz rock guitarists.

A few of my (neophyte listener) favorite Jazz musicians

Herbie Mann- flute

Wes Montgomery, Bucky Pizzarrelli- guitar

Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton- vibes

Jimmy Cobb, Buddy Rich- Drums

Ron Carter, Jaco Pastorious ( not vintage IMHO), A guy that played with Miles I forget- Bass

Sonny Rollins, Charlie Parker- Sax

Miles and Coltrane are still a bit of a taste challenge. I prefer the "pre acid " Miles

I think Big Band kind of nurtured Jazz. Late 50s small group Benny Goodman I have on LP is priceless!

Its great having a thread about Music! I know there is always a danger of a SET vs PP flame breaking out in any topic, but so far this has been a pretty informative and interesting read. Lots of good info and new things as well as old things that I forgotten about to seek out and listen to!

There's good and bad Blues and Jazz just like there is good and bad wine (another example of something that doesnt grab you from the first try - at least at the age of 12 it didnt) . I love both- actually all three.

There are times when Stevie Ray is the perfect compliment to what Im feeling or want to feel and there are times when only Fatha Hines will do and there are times when Hank Williams fits the bill. The best are the best and have a place regardless of the genre.

Josh