Blues verus Jazz

NOSValves

Man I think I started something here and then ended up to busy to keep up. In fact I'm still swamped! Thanks for all the great info everyone and I will post to this thread later when I collapse for the day.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Craig

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig and others,

There is "jazz music" that I will never develope a taste for. There just isn't enought time. Fortunately, we have several jazz enthusiast, on the forum, that not only know the genre but seem to have a knack of pointing one in the right direction. After about six months of this process, I now spin "jazz" about 85% of the time. The short list below represents recommendations from forum members in the know. Read the jazz threads and you will know who they are.

Some sizzle here!

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderely

Wahoo - Duke Pearson

Go - Dexter Gordon

The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan

First Session - Grant Green

Saxophone Colussus - Sonny Rollins

Check out the musicians on each title and you will get a good idea about where to go next.

Craig, I bought and had you rebuild the 299 just for this!

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderely

Wahoo - Duke Pearson

Go - Dexter Gordon

The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan

First Session - Grant Green

Saxophone Colussus - Sonny Rollins

Got at least half of these. If the other half is as good, I'm heading to the music store real soon.

Problem is, I can hardly listen to CeeDees anymore. Finding these things on vinyl is maddening and expensive.

Scored a big haul of Billie Holiday, only listened to one side so far. Like MH says, acoustics reminescent of a telephone don't help anything.

But back to cases, if you want jazz that makes your toes tap, try Dixie in the form of Louis Armstrong. I have three or four of his records and they all ROCK.

And I hate Dixie.

Craig: try some older John Lee Hooker, recently he has done duets with artists from other genres if you want to get a flavor.

B.B. King is another great blues artist with his older recordings again getting the nod.

Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters are also stellar.

Try some Johnny Winter for a vanilla taste of some blues, the same goes for Robert Cray(but I like vanilla sometimes)

Robert Johnson is awesome BUT his recordings sound HORRIBLE!

Very early recordings with that 78 sound!

You know, for a sampler album, you could do worse by getting the soundtracks for both Blues Brothers movies to get a taste of various artists! That reminds me,if you want toe tappin'post big band swing try some Cab Calloway!

Craig,

Of course you started something by the way you worded it. Just as I knew my remark was going to bring on responses like Kelly's, but I was feeling frisky at the time. What's your excuse?

I should't respond again, because music like many things is all personal taste and there is no right or wrong. Everyday in my line of work I say this at least once. "I'll argue form and function with you, but when it comes to colors your on your own."

My days of music appreciation classes are long gone. Thank goodness. Life is too short to be bothered with such nonsence. That too was a boring way to earn three credits, but an easy way to earn an A. All you needed to do was tell the instructor what he wanted or needed to hear to satisfy his own ego. Just like this topic.

Sure there are many things that require you to dig into them to truly understand and appreciate them, but music isn't one of them. Music is a sensual thing, it turns you on or it doesn't. I started listening to blues in the early 70's and it's still my first choice. Go listen to your jazz, I will think nothing less of you for doing so. Just don't try to make me listen to it. Many years ago I learned not to play the blues for my rock and roll friends.

Should we argue about religion too? That will also lead us into an endless and meangless discussion.

I dunno, I listen to new stuff about three times, not even all in the same time frame, and if it doesn't appeal to me, I let it go.

Not quite "grab you right away" but not the 3 months of music training to appreciate it vein either.

Some does grab you right away.

Some lets go of you after a while.

No telling.

Ugh. Craig, The Blues is supposed to help take away your Blues. Not make it worse. (LOL)

Blues & Jazz are closely related, with Jazz being the descendent of Blues. Both music genre have many different forms. And are derived primarily from the poor Black slavery culture.

Jazz is no more an acquired taste than any other form of music. Also wrong is the notion that Blues is necessarily closer to Rock lovers. In fact, most Rock lovers dont have a clue as to what REAL BLUES is like. Yes, Rock is descended from the Blues. But so is Jazz. Kelly, have you ever played with Muddy Waters or Junior Wells? Or gigd with people who did? Get my drift? (I have, with the later) And I dont necessarily agree that the older, more primitive Blues is better. In fact, I think youll find that indeed, for most people, these older forms of Blues require just as much of an acquired taste as you suggested of Jazz.

Personally, I can be just as inspired (lousy old recordings & all) by an old Scott Joplin (yeah yeah, its Ragtime, but its still Jazz to me) or Robert Johnson performance as I can listening to Jimi Hendrix playing the same Robert Johnson material, solo, acoustically, or whaling away on his own Rock version of it. Much of contemporary Jazz mimics Rock. And hell, even Frank Zappa, probably more of a Rock icon, had some of the best Jazz licks in the world. Oh yeah, and then there were those 70s horn-rock bands. Big Band Rock. BST & Chicago (CTA).

So Craig.what kind of Blues or Jazz are we talking about? (sorry if you already answered this, I havent read the whole threadlaughs)

10.gif

Qman,

Keep posting no reason to run off!! I really didnt start the thread to start a war! It never takes much around here that is a sure thing LOL of coarse when one has time a little heated debate is always fun.

Artto,

not sure what it all is I have been playing the Jazz station all day while I work. I was listening to my Digital cable to the Blues channel this morning but today I had Direct TV install Satellite in my Shop in the basement and throughout the house. The reason I am venturing into something else musically is simply boredom. I'm now spending at least 12 to 16 hours a day with music playing and the same old Rock and Roll just gets old. I have been begging for examples of upbeat jazz around here and have received some great wrecks and today I started out listening to the Jazz station to tell the truth it about put me to sleep! I have to have some upbeat stuff to work to and the Blues is definitely doing it in a great way! I guess I'm going to have to start writing down the stuff I like as I hear. I realize the sound quality of Satellite is not stellar but at least I can try before I buy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Craig

Everyone else keep the great info coming! Oh and I except CDs for Christmas presents 2.gif

Craig, the strangest things can turn into a flame war... I sure never thought talking about different forms of music would lead to a comparison of Religion. NOt only that, but I was really surprised to see some just shut down totally. Fine, but surprising.

I have a host of stuff I know you might like but almost EVERY single thing is on vinyl, which, as we talked about before, is more a pain to transfer to MP3 for a sample. At least in my case, since the machines are too far apart.

But dont give up yet. That was my main point in this thread.

kh

I've been hearing a track on the Buffalo State NPR station (WBFO). It's not one for the ages, but a nice little job. A female singer in the Krallish vein covers Sting's "Fragile". Bit of a mellow latin feel. Caught my ear on the ride home the other night. Any idea who she is? I assume it's a recent release because I just started hearing it.

Kelly, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Heck I don't know what this stuff is! I just can't get the groove going while I work to the Jazz station on Satellite or Cable. I believe there the same broadcast! Do you get Satellite or Digital cable? Its really not that bad for sound quality about on par with the better MP3 I would say. Just keep in mind I like up tempo all the way when I'm working. I find most of the Jazz that you and others have suggested around here much better when relaxing and really paying attention to the music. Although the MP3 you put up the other day was right on the money Johnny Griffin Mil Dew I believe it was? That seems like it would be called swing Jazz. I bet this type would be my cup of tea for sure.

I've always liked the Horn using rock bands hence my love for Springsteen especially his early stuff previous to "Born to be played to Death"

Craig