Recommendations for DVD/SACD player

Piranha

I personally like the universal models as you only need one set of interconnects if you want both DVD-A and SACD. However if you go with just one format then that arguement is null and void.

I did not audition any other universal but read perhaps over 100 reviews and read countless articles regarding same. I guess I am saying that I do not have the experience to say one is really better than the other but I can say the Denon 2900 has not dissapointed me in the least.

On a personal note I think I like the SACD format better than DVD-A as I can use the SACD in a regular CD player in my second system or in my car.

The only thing negative about spending $850 + on a universal player is that they will eventially come down in price and I will be looking at that thing thinking about the wasted money all along.

----------------

On 1/2/2004 8:58:16 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

THe Pioneer DV-59Ai has DVI and is a universal player as well. It is reported to be free of the chroma upsample error,

Bill

----------------

I did read on audioholics where they're saying the 5900 has a contrast bug....

Virtually 100% of DVD players have some issue with the video. With some DVD players, it takes an expert to see the problem. With others, anyone can see the problem.

The Denon 5900 has an excellent reputation. It's a bit pricey, but it stacks up well against the other machines in its market.

Bill

Marksdad-

Hey, thanks for the clarification! I didn't mean to jump on you for that statement. I am looking at several Sony ES SACD players and looking for a very natural sounding player. I have tended to stay away from sony products in the past due to the boom box sound of the really cheap stuff, but I was ASSuming you were refering to the more audiophile level Sonys. Players such as the SCD-1, 777ES, XA777ES, and the recent XA9000ES have gotten very good reviews and are well reguarded as some of the best SACD players on the market.

Thanks!

Dave

I've heard that at a $500 or $600 price point, you can get better sound quality (no need to mention upgrade-ability) by buying TWO cheaper dvd players, one for each multichannel format-say a Denon 1600 for video and DVD-A duty and maybe some Sony player for SACD duty-instead of one universal player. Any opinions?

I said that I had the Marantz 6400. I still believe the Denon 2900 to be the best of every player mentioned here so far. I also wouldn't be too concerned with about buying any of these, because I thing that in the next two years we will be buying new ones again as improvements are made.

I wouldn't buy a separate DVD-Audio and SACD player looking for better quality.