Shorty

sheltie dave

I just won the Shorthorn listed down in Louisiana, and Mike stated it has a k33, k55, and k77 driver setup for a 56 or 61 shorthorn. Were these drivers stock in 61, or have they been added to update the components? Also, what crossover should I expect to find on this bad boy? The Ebay photo was about as focused as a seventeen year old in math class.

Mungkiman, do you have any more of the cream cane cloth, or what is the Klipsch SKU on that item?

Thanks!

Sheltie Dave,

Congrats on your purchase! I watched the end of that auction and was disappointed when the reserve wasn't met, until I saw your other post about the "buy it now" re-listing. I have included a .jpg from hifilit.com from a 1957 Klipsch brochure. It describes some of the drivers used in '57, but it seems some others were used in later years. I don't know when Jensen woofers were used in Klipsch horns, so hopefully others will chime in.

The crossover should be K-1000-5000, unless changes in drivers also changed the crossover. There may be many types of K-1000-5000 networks, as I have a pair of W-R in addition to the 22-J (memory?) pair that came with the Shorthorns.

I am sorry to report that I don't have any extra cane cloth, and can't find the receipt. I will keep looking and let you know if it turns up. Sometime after my cane purchase, I read on this forum that Klipsch no longer carried it, but I would still check with them. A lot of people here also recommend Wendell Fabrics as a source. A search under "cane" should produce results.

Do let us know what you find inside in regards to drivers and crossovers.

Chris

Thanks Bill and Mungkiman! I am thrilled to get this speaker. Years ago, my mom took a picture of Dad and I when I was in diapers at Christmastime, standing next to Dad's modified Shorthorn/radio console. I told my wife I wanted to reproduce that photo as close as possible. Dad passed last year three weeks after we found out we were expecting, so this process will be a significant labor of love for me.

Our 11 month old is getting close to three feet tall and thirty pounds, so I have to tie everything together before he is too heavy to hold!2.gif Liam has no surviving grandparents, so we are doing everything we can to make sure he realizes his grandpapas and grandmamas love him from Heaven. I hope he can treasure this new photo as much as I do 1.gif

Sheltie Dave,

I was just looking at some photos I took of my '59 Shorthorns when I opened them up for cleaning after purchase. The K-77's have "tested" stickers on them, but all the other drivers and crossovers have dated "tested & approved" stickers, as well as "K-Ortho" stickers.

The labels on the backs note W5(S?)-22 crossovers, not 22-J as my memory led me to believe.

Dee,

thanks for the offer, but I found a forum member down in New Orleans who will help get Shorty shipped up to us. I may give you a ring in the not distant future, though, on another mission.

My wife's allergist has in-laws down near Little Rock that have three barns filled with 130 antique cars, with over half being of foreign persuasion prior to 1950. All predate 1960, so it will be an interesting two day visit. I already know they have a 1927 Rolls pegged in the $50K district. It is fascinating to see the incredible engineering that went into these older cars!10.gif It's even better knowing none of them are mine awaiting restoration.

I'm still trying to get a weekend date nailed down that is convenient for them and me. I have my half face respirator with HEPA cartridges so the dust doesn't drop me to my knees, and I'm praying for no pidgeon poop14.gif

Did you get you 2a3s sold?

----------------

On 12/27/2003 11:33:19 AM DaddyDee wrote:

P.S.

Dave, are you making a road trip to pick up the shorthorn? If you're coming through Little Rock, and your schedule allows, maybe you could stop by for a cup of coffee or sandwich or something. Good tunes to go with coffee, my pleasure.

Dee

----------------

The party idea begins to form - Dave and I are in St. louis. My other irritation to spouse is cars (mainly a couple of BMWs right now). My brother and mother are in Little Rock (I grew up in Hamburg). I handle Mom's finances (bless her heart she has been in a home now for 7 years). No later than mid February I have to have a finance Pow Wow with my brother.

Anybody want to kill a bunch of blackbirds with one stone????

Henry,

Fini promised he won't sing soprano on "Born to be Wild," but "Magic Carpet Ride" is all his. He wants to glue a 10' by 20' carpet to the front of the Volvo, and do the hippy hippy shake once we hit the Arkansas border.

AP News, Little Rock, AR

Three strange adult males were arrested today outside Little Rock. Claiming they were on a pilgrimage to Hope, Arkansas, state police took all three into protective custody just before 2 pm at a Piggly Wiggly parking lot...

Fini,

you would shudder if you saw me in my friend's Elvis outfit. While I fall at 6' and am Elvis size pre-Army, Ron is 5'8" and is Elvis size final tour. Since you will be the lady magnet on this breakout tour, we hook up tie down straps to the top of Shorty, and bolt him to the roof rack, and you can stand on top of Shorty. Just make sure you can find a fifteen foot cape so we can get some good "billow" action. Henry will be in charge of the logistics, which means we shold run out of beer sometime before Gallup, NM3.gif

Where are we going, again?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll trade a full dressed shorthorn for a 59 0r 60 rear port cornwall!

My early 60 cornwall uses the same front panel as the top of the line short horn as well as driver horns ect.

The front "Tv style" panels are one and the same you could swap them and never no the diffrence.

I was Thinking of building a cornwall rear port clone cabnet and using the short horn front panel on it for a matching pair.

If I do this I would sell just the bare (no trim panel short horn cabnet.

I have looked on eaby since 98 and have only seen one rear port cornwall and thats the one I have now ,they afre rarer then hens teeth. Short horn are not that common either but ther weas just a run of the on ebay well 2 in the last few months.

Khorn58,

Dave got the last one on ebay. I missed the one before that by just a few $$. Had I only known......

If you decide to build another Cornwall, let me know. I'm sorta concerned about the appearance of a bare Shorthorn, but we'll see.

Khorn58, I would really enjoy seeing pictures of your rear port Cornwall! Especially the porting, and back chamber. Thanks!

Here is a partial pic of one of my Shorthorns. The components on top are for an upcoming Heresy project.

Are you looking for the "TV" panel only, or the drivers as well? If so, it sounds like a number of drivers were used during the years of Shorthorn production, and you might be happiest matching the "clone" drivers to your existing ones.

Best of luck. Let me know if you think I can help in any way.

Chris

post-9039-13819250716558_thumb.jpg