Greatest Pro Wrestler of All Time?

Jabez Scratch

I'm not sure who I would say is the all-time best wrestler...

But my favorite for the past 5 years has been Lance Storm (with my screen name, can you tell I'm getting obsessed?), a technical wrestler from Calgary... Alberta... CANADA! lol. He has a nice site: www.stormwrestling.com he keeps it updated very well.

Most favorite to watch? Well in the Attitude era it would definitely be:

1) Stone Cold Steve Austin

2) Mankind / Dude Love / Cactus Jack / Mick Foley

3) The Great One ... The Chosen One ... The People's Champ ... of course I am talking about The Rockkkkkkkk!!

4) D-Generation X (now those were some good times)

5) The Nation

6) Owen Hart ("I am not a nugget!!!")

Back in the day (my day)?

1) Hulk Hogan

1.5) Bret Hart

2) Ricky Steamboat

3) Macho Man Randy Savage

4) Jake the Snake Roberts

5) Hacksaw Jim Duggan

6) Tito Santana

Bruno and Chief Jay Strongbow were my Great Grandma's two favorites. The 85 year old woman just LIVED for Wrasslin'!

Rowdy Roddy was great.

A sad day in the WWF.

http://wrestlingcage.com/sheik/images/clutch/clutch.htm

----------------

On 12/16/2003 5:53:11 PM garymd wrote:

The longest reigning champ? Bruno Sanmartino. How could anyone forget him?

Actually Hulk Hogan had the biggest impact on that sport. I watched him lose to Rowdy Roddy Piper from the 2nd row in the early 80s when we won tickets. Hogan pulled a razor blade from his trousers right in front of us and sliced open his own head. Blood everywhere. That's why they all wore bandanas, hding all that scar tissue. Ugly sport.

----------------

"Killer Kowalski is one of wreslting's greatest of all time,the man still trains wrestlers if I am not mistaken.At his age this says someting about his iron health."

The Ears is right on target. KK and the "Claw Hold" made grown men cry. When I was a kid we watched wrasslin from Jack Whichi's in Attleboro, Mass. every Saturday. Remember Mr Mojo, Chief Jay Strongbow and of course Bruno Sammartino?

Rick

Rick

----------------

On 12/17/2003 5:22:03 PM kenratboy wrote:

So, I can't figure it out. Is Rasling for Red Necks or White Trash?

----------------

You might want to add "college-educated" to that list so I can fit in. I have never liked the stigmatism attached to liking pro wrestling. Granted whenever I go to a wrestling event I do feel out of place at times, I just remember we are all there for the same reason...the love of the "sport".

I think Mick Foley summed up wrestling best when he said the real world is faker than wrestling.

I initially said Ricky Steamboat and possibly Owen Hart, and I stand by that but I think that other serious contenders for greatest of all time might include:

Andre The Giant

Antonio Inoki

Keiji Muto

Billy Whipper Watson

Bruno Samartino

Bruiser Brody

Hulk Hogan

Ric Flair

Bret Hart

Bob Backlund

Harley Race

Wahoo MacDaniels

Chris Benoit

Jushin Lyger

P.S. Please no one dare have the audacity to suggest wrestlers like Goldberg or Hunter Herst Helmsley -- they are respectable, but not legends (at least not yet and not for some time and far more achievement).

Baron Von Raschke, caught him a few times on early morning tv in Chicago, early 80's, him and george the animal are my favorites from my youth. Reply to earlier post, Vince has always owned wwf, got it from his father, vince took it National. Lost track around Wrestle mania 2 or 3, found it again when Triple H and THE ROCK came on the scene. The Rock is one of, or the best mic man. He gets me rolling on the floor laughing with the stuff he says.

"Everbody loves Panckes"

Chief J Strongbo

Allows loved to watch him with the full head dress.It was inevitable he would start crying 1/2 way thru the match and then come back and beat the opponent. I remember rushong home from bowling and catching the matches on WSBK UHF 38 boston, Saturday morning. Ahhhhhh yes the good old days.

Chief Jay Strongbow (Joe Scarpa): Tennessee/Alabama: World Tag Team Title; Florida: NWA Florida Title; Florida: NWA Southern Tag Team Title-(3); Florida: Brass Knuckles Title-(2); Atlanta: NWA Georgia Heavyweight Title; Atlanta: NWA Georgia Television Title; WWE World Tag Team Title-(4);

Anyone ever see a G.L.O.W. match??

How about:

The Fabulous Moola

Jumping Bomb Angels

Big Fiji

Little Fiji

Suzy Spirit, etc.

Sorry, different gender...

Then there's:

Sargent Slaughter (I still use the Cobra Clutch on someone that needs detaining :) )

Kabukie (sp?)

The Steiner Brothers (when they still wore their college jackets)

I can remember as a kid in Pittsburgh watching wrestling with my little brother in the basement. We didn't just watch, we wrestled! I'm 2 yrs older, it's a wonder I didn't kill him.

The local wrestling show was hosted by Bill Cardill (Chilly Billy Cardill). He also hosted the Saturday afternoon horror movies. He has a small part in "Night Of The Living Dead" playing himself if I remember correctly.

Anyway, Bruno Samartino-I apologize if the spelling is incorrect-was the champ back then.