Religion on the Forum (Nope!)

WMcD

M00n, Orange Peel,

A short (very short) history lesson. The Latin Mass was the only way Mass was done in the Catholic (Western) churches for centuries, until the Second Vatican Council, more commonly referred to as Vatican II. A new rite of the Mass was proposed and instituted by Pope John Paul VI, that used the vernacular, or the common language of each country. Where the Mass was previously said in Latin, now it would be in English in English speaking countries, German in Germany, French in France, etc.

Since 1988, it has been allowed to use the Latin Rite, but it requires special permission. Many are working on getting the Latin rite reinstated (for various reasons), so that special permission wouldn't be required. Hence the joke. Certain people promote the Latin Mass wherever they can, even at the "Tri-State Vacuum Tube Preservation Society."

Marvel

The cartoon was penned at least 15 years ago, if not 25.

The Zeitgeist was that tubes were old hat and sure to fade away. Like the TriState Tube Preservation Society, those who wished to preserve the Latin Mass may have been in a similar situation: the new turn events is so much better, why are the diehards holding on against long awaited "progress"?

I say Amen in a bit of double entendre. After two years of Latin class, I could understand the Mass as an altar boy. After working with tubes for many years I came to be able to troubleshoot some circuits.

In either case I don't put either vernacular or Latin above one or the other. Same with tubes versus S.S. In my view, those who haven't heard the old stuff may be missing something. However, having been there, there is no special charm from either.

Perhaps that last statement will get me consigned to two special sets of "flames".

I should have been a bit better about the title. I really did wish to reply to the no politics post by our good webmaster. Even before the internet and bbs, any subject was vulnerable to hijacking.

Smile.

I will now sit down and listen to The Mass in F-minor, by the Electric Prunes. Good rock . . . in Latin.

Gil