MC240 on the Scope by request

NOSValves

This is for Bill Tillman by request. I basically just recapped this amp . It measures perfectly at every test point specified in the service manual. This amp put off some pretty nice square waves ! The top of the screen is what the function generator is feeding the amp the bottom is what the amp is doing to the signal after amplification.

20 hz

m20hz.jpg

100hz

m100hz.jpg

2Khz

m2khz.jpg

5Khz

m5khz.jpg

15 Khz

m15khz.jpg

20Khz

m20khz.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/17/2003 3:08:46 PM garymd wrote:

How's it sound after recapping? Do you hear much difference?
----------------

Ditto Craig, tell us how it Sounds to YourEars, cause I am looking at one this weekend. Tell us the difference and similarities between the 240 and your mark lll's.

Thanks C 3.gif

Guest Anonymous

Craig,

Please stop working for a few minutes2.gif hook upboth the 240, and the markIII's to my corn's or your las's and tell us What you HEAR!

Waiting impatiently for your feedback11.gif

Where did he go, he posted at 3:07pm, talk about leaving us in the dark with the lights out. There goes customer satisfaction out the window. Where is my complaint card? 9.gif

Maybe I should have went for set amps? That should wake him up.

Smillin, Mark III's? Don't bring that up because next you will be hanging around like Neo waiting for him to sell, and I don't see that happening. I have thought often of his prized Mark's myself. I got first dibbs if they go and I have plenty of patience.

Its sounding much better than it did with the 40 year old caps that is a sure thing. The imaging is no longer smeared and the bass seems less boomy and more defined. The MC240 is a beefy amp power wise! Does it better my Mark III's I will just put it this way I am not in the market for one simply because its close but at what cost? The MC circuit is not for a guy like me I like to piddle with my gear and this piece is to far out design wise to be changing things. I did some serious talking to people in the know and they all said the same thing just freshen it up!! Now Bill you owe me big-time!! I broke into my secret stash and put some great front-end tubes in this baby for you. It now has all telefunken 12AU7's 12AX7's and RCA Black Plate 12BH7's I charged you a nominal charge for these but normally I dont even sell my NOS stash. The output tubes are kind of strange thing I tried 4 different types in the amp and really did not hear the type of change some people are saying is the case but I dont have the tubes there calling the holy grail. I tried Valve Art KT66, RCA Black plate 6L6GC's , Sylvania Grey plate 6L6GC and the tube that were in it which are branded Westinghouse but made in Russia I never heard any great difference to talk about. The front end tubes indeed did help clean things up some since it really had a mix match of stuff in there and some were slightly weak.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Steve,

As far as getting that MC240 I talked to the guy that has it and its suppose to be in great shape and has had the works done to it. I highly suggest you give it a good listen and see if its to the liking of your ears. My ears really do not matter its your ears your trying to please. Remember a good portion of what youre spending on Mac gear is for the name. Bill here is getting the sound without the extra price tag because of cosmetics!

You guy's lining up for my Mark III's better get the Fountain of youth installed at your house !! I;m dying with these amps my wife has instruction to put them in the box with me 9.gif I can build you something that will actually be slightly better !!

Oh and I'm trying to get some work done so all you whiners will quit b!tching so leave me alone 2.gif9.gif

Craig

Mark,

I noticed that and will revisit the feedback as suggested its still on the bench playing now !

Guest Anonymous

---------------

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Steve,

As far as getting that MC240 I talked to the guy that has it and its suppose to be in great shape and has had the works done to it. I highly suggest you give it a good listen and see if its to the liking of your ears. My ears really do not matter its your ears your trying to please. Remember a good portion of what youre spending on Mac gear is for the name. Bill here is getting the sound without the extra price tag because of cosmetics!

----------------

Craig,

I just got off the phone with him, he is willing to negotiate price on the pair of mac's and the zebra's, I just don't know what the right deal is! and I just dont't have enough TUBE experience to tell myself, I will try to get mark to bring the mac's along in january to compare with the mark III's and the 272

2.gif ttya later Smilin, and either give us a sonic report or get back to work3.gif6.gif11.gif

Now that is what I like to hear. Since I am a buyer and not a seller, and prefer sound over cosmetics Craig is right and this all works out for me. I figure when I find the end I am looking for, like Deano, I will then worry about cosmetics. Right now I am just trying to find that sound that I can not live without.

Thank you Craig for all your work, especially for the tube trail. So I have all RCA blackplate in the output stage? Works for me. Now I can put the Dynaco ST70 somewhere else.

If some one is interested, I have had the Dynaco playing since March and it has been trouble free. It has also convinced all my friends to switch to tubes. I would consider selling it to someone on the Forum, otherwise I will probably just keep it.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 3:58:40 PM NOSValves wrote:

You guy's lining up for my Mark III's better get the Fountain of youth installed at your house !! I;m dying with these amps my wife has instruction to put them in the box with me
9.gif
I can build you something that will actually be slightly better !!

Oh and I'm trying to get some work done so all you whiners will quit b!tching so leave me alone
2.gif9.gif

Craig

----------------

Oh I LOVE my Marks too! Don't feel a desire for (better) amplification. The price would have to be high to top this.

Tom

You're welcome Bill. You know that could have been mine!9.gif I'll never get NOS tubes like that out of Craig when I want mine done. I have a few NOS RCA 12AU7s and some nice 12BH7s but that's it. Right now the fisher sounds better but doesn't have the massive headroom of the mac that I like. Damn. I always regret these decisions of mine. I hope it works out great for you though.