Lord of the Rings reviews? Anyone?

m00n

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a late afternoon/evening screening:

I'm afraid I don't have the energy left to compose a blow-by-blow, or even a list of highlights... suffice it to say that it was as incredible as everyone is saying it is.

And ignore those who say the ending is too long. It's as long as it needs to be, and there were probably over 60 pages from the book (after the climax) that didn't make it into the film (Many Partings, The Scouring of the Shire).

There was obviously a lot left on the cutting room floor (or on a hard disc, these days); especially obvious to those familiar with the book. I look forward to seeing a lot of it on the Extended Edition DVD.

Altogether, it has become an instant (and probably permanent) resident of my list of Top Ten films... the greatest story of the 20th Century, realized by the only creative team that could have done it this right.

One of the Matrix producers claimed that, after Reloaded (or was it Revolutions?), there was no bar (as in "raises the -"). I think most of us now see that proclamation as quite the overstatement.

No film series is going to be able to touch Jackson's LOTR for as far as my mind can comprehend.

Go see it.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 10:06:46 PM chuckears wrote:

No film series is going to be able to touch Jackson's LOTR for as far as my mind can comprehend.

Go see it.

----------------

All I can do is simply concurr with what "Chuck" said above! I just got back myself and holy $#!+ was that awesome!

Three of my friends and myself marathoned all three of these movies today. Watched the extended editions of the first two on my system here at home, and saw the third at the movies! What an incredible day! Good thing I got those advanced tickets - that showing was completely sold out, and I did not see any empty seats in the theater!

I may just have to go see it again this weekend after skiing.

Depressing that there are no more Lord of the Ring films to look forward to. Now just to wait for this to come out on DVD, and hopefully the stuff that was left out of the movie will be included in the Extended Edition.

Still, I cannot say enough good things about this movie - a definite must see!

----------------

On 12/17/2003 11:52:59 PM BBB wrote:

I wonder when the extended version of this film will be available on DVD.

----------------

If they follow the release pattern of the last two films, then I would be expecting the regular theatrical release to appear on DVD in mid to late August with the Extended Edition appearing in mid-November.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 11:56:19 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 12/17/2003 11:52:59 PM BBB wrote:

I wonder when the extended version of this film will be available on DVD.

----------------

If they follow the release pattern of the last two films, then I would be expecting the regular theatrical release to appear on DVD in mid to late August with the Extended Edition appearing in mid-November.

----------------

Actually the word going around is that the director wants to get the project done before Christmas because he wants to start on a new project almost immediately. I'm not sure if this means they're going to release it earlier but theoretically it could probably be out as early as Feb. (remember, all three films were shot at the same time so this is very possible). One can only hope.

And to keep with the topic, all I can say is that is a superb movie.

I think they purposefully delayed the first two releases

to coincide with the theatrical release on the sequel.

Now that the last one is out in theaters I don't think they

will wait 11 months for the DVD. Keep checking VidoeETA.com.

Right now the estimate is April 2004 for the vidoe.

----------------

On 12/18/2003 11:17:16 AM m00n wrote:

I have also heard on the radio that he IS going to make "The Hobbit". Just heard that about a week ago.

----------------

That would be sooo friggan awesome! I have heard those rumours myself. If this is indeed true, I would be so looking forward to that.

----------------

On 12/18/2003 11:17:16 AM m00n wrote:

I have also heard on the radio that he IS going to make "The Hobbit". Just heard that about a week ago.

----------------

Yep, I heard that too. It hasn't been slated by the studios yet, but somehow I don't see that being rejected by anyone.

As far as the King Kong remake, I think I see another Godzilla 2000 coming.14.gif

I saw the movie last night, amazing for sure!! Great job by all that were apart of the trilogy!!!! AMAZING sound, battle scenes, everything! I think when this movie comes out on DVD we will ALL have a new BASS demo disk that will rule all demos before, there was some SERIOUS BASS in that movie, you will be amazed!!

VERY long movie, you will probably come out fatigued a little, and don't drink too much soda during or you may have to leave for the bathroom. 9.gif I definitely think this movie will win every Oscar or whatever the awards are for movies, they didn't cheap out on anything, special effects top notch, acting excellent, story line was great. A MUST see for sure. Not sure if I can handle another viewing for at least another month or so, I was beat after that one, it's a lot to watch at 10pm, didn't get out of the movie until 1:30am 2.gif

----------------

On 12/18/2003 1:14:09 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

As far as the King Kong remake, I think I see another Godzilla 2000 coming.
14.gif

----------------

EXACTLY what I was thinking when I made the remarks just didn't want to say it. 2.gif Actually I liked it, but I didn't think it was all that the hype made it out to be.

i normal dont really like LotR, but the third one was great! I hated the first one, and the second one was OK....however, the third.......well, it will make you see the first and second one again.

and man.......the sound effect on this movie is gonna be a classic in the world of dvd references. Oh yeah, not to spoil anything, the end was kinda long, but it wraps up everything completely from the first episode. It was like a well thought out conclusion in a long and thorough essay.

one thing though......i need someone to explain to me the main reason for the departure at the end. lol

anyways, go watch it, its like 3.5hrs long i think.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the Nerds

story.rings.fans.ap.jpg

Unfortunately, I too have never understood the LotR phenomena. It reminds me of the geeks that use to play Dungeons and Dragons back in high school. As they grew up, I think they all migrated over to the AVS forum. Anyway, it's been hard to get past that. Slowly though, I am beginning to enjoy the first two films. I did like the battle scenes in the Twin Towers. I found myself cheering for the Urak-kai(sp). Those Scandinavian Vikings looked pretty cool also. However, don't get me started on the elves. Shouldn't they be at the North Pole or making Keebler cookies or something? What's up with that? And what's with those two Hobbits (pc: Growth Challenged People) with the walking foliage? Talk about tree huggers. Must be Democrats. If the carnage and mayhem in the new movie is anything like Twin Towers then I will like it. Unfortunately, the movie will not be playing at the military theaters here in South Korea for another 4 to 6 weeks. That's okay, I can wait.

Enjoy the film!

yeah, i totally agree........no offense to anyone, but i hate those dungeon and dragon games that kids play during lunch. However, i dont make fun of them though, its a hobbie. During lunch, if i see those kids, i give them a head up. I respect them for not worrying about what other people thinks of them. On the other hand, if my friend see those kids, well, its another story.

i never got what was so phenomenal about LotR either, it was like WTF??!?!? to me. But there was enough action on the 2nd and 3rd one to keep me occupy, great movie and story!

btw........why does it have to be THAT hobbit to take the ring, why are they at war besides taking over land, what is up with the big eyeball, why cant taht ring be destroy else where, how the hell does that ring give people pwoer, since the ring will effect the whole world, wheres china!!!, china could help them with some of their mystical pwoers lol.........so many questoin, but i dont care, the movie locked my attention from start to end, cept of the first one, i thought iwas the most boring movie ever, lol.

anywyas ENJOY!

Remember about a week ago I started a LOTR thread saying I wanted to see this last one by myself... Wish I would have. I had to force the tears back at times. A few would sneak by, I would just rub my chin and wait for it to finaly make it's way down my cheak far enough so I could sneak a swipe at it without anyone seeing.4.gif

Just my opinion on this but:

Unbelievable how good that movie was. No comparison to any other trillogy. It will be a long time before any movie can top these three in my books. What a story Tolkien created.