Need help! Looking for long lost LP

dkp

My Dad was in the marching band at Michigan State University in the very early 60's. During his time there at least two LP's were produced, one with a picture of the entire band on the cover. This one is particularly special to him because he is clearly visible on the cover (1st chair trombone!) Unfortunately, during one of their moves, these two albums were lost. I am trying to help him track this down and have been working through the University and a couple other sources connected to the University. However, I am wondering if anyone has another idea on a good avenue for my search. I may be able to get a copy of the soundtrack and album cover, but I would really rather find an original. Any help would be much appreciated.

David

Yeah, I've been checking Ebay on and off for some time. I was thinking that there has to be some old, rinky-dink little shop in the worst part of town that has a bazillion old LPs for sale. You know, one of those little gems that no one seems to know about except the real collectors... Thanks for the advice, though.

David

"More information on the albums would be helpful, such as exact name, label, etc."

Fini-He attended MSU from 1959-1961 and was in the marching band. I don't believe that there could have been too many LPs produced, which is helpful in narrowing my search, but makes it difficult to obtain copies.

Thank you for the help. I will follow up on them tonight.

David

David,

contact the music department at MSU. They probably still have a prof from that era, or a son or daughter of one. An easier bet would be to find the band director or various first chairs in the band. Like your Dad, many had a great time in the band and will still cherish their albums.

Take an ad out in the campus paper - you may be deluged with alumni that can help. I got over 300 photos of a building torn down in 1948 at St. Louis U just by running an ad1.gif

Wishing you the best this holiday season!

Sheltie Dave,

I have been working with the band and the MSU library, which has a copy of the LP, we think. I will actually be heading over there today sometime so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks to all for the help.

By the way, that is a great idea about running the ad in the campus newspaper. I will have to get some information on that today as well...

David

dkp,

Hey! I live in the Lansing area. Have you tried Flat Black and Circular out on Campus? Those guys are great about locating something that they do not have. Wazoo records (if still in business since the owners death?) is also a good source. May want to try Elderly Instruments too. Good luck in your search.

BIG BLUE2

I found this link...........hope it helps. http://www.angelfire.com/music4/mclub/reedCV.html Also this email info..........

Date: Monday, June 19, 2000

Time: 6:04 PM EST

This is, indeed, a great web site. I played in the band from 56-60 and found some names and addresses from that era. I guess we should have a separate site and call it the "REALLY ANCIENT ALUMNI BAND CLUB". Thanks to those who are maintaining this info.

Dave Hartner

Thanks again for the information. Here's an update:

I have been in contact with someone from the fine arts department at the MSU library who believes that they have a copy of at least one of the LPs I am looking for. (BillH-that's the same woman that you put in your post...) I have another contact that I need to get back in touch with-this one did most of the actual recording for that time period. I've checked all of the pre-Christmas links in this thread and haven't had any luck, but I will keep checking the sites that were posted. I will follow up with the stores that were mentioned in the Lansing area after the holidays as well.

Again, thank you all very much. I haven't been able to find what I am looking for yet, but feel as though I am getting close.

I will post again after the holidays as I am trying to obtain the copies by very early February as a birthday gift.

David

David,

Well, I thought I may have had it, but I guess not. Close, but no cigar. University of Michigan Band, "Hail, Sousa!", Vanguard VSD2125, 1968. At least it was Michigan! It's yours if you want it.

Fini,

Thank you for the searching you've been doing. The LP you found is not quite the one that I am looking for but thank you again for searching. (Forgive me if you know this, but there is a difference between Michigan State University and the University of Michigan.) I will be following up on the leads from this thread this week.

Thanks again,

David