Disc of the Year?

Colin

----------------

On 12/23/2003 3:46:57 PM Sublime40 wrote:

My favorites I purchased this year: The Flaming Lips: "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots", Led Zeppelin: "How the West Was Won", Jack Johnson: "On and On"
----------------

I am an old man and try to act my age. I listen to R&B, Jazz, Smooth Jazz, etc.

But my roots are in 60's - 70's hard rock. HARD.....Blue Cheer, Jimi, marshals,Robin Trower, Sun amps, Hi-Watt, ELP,Zappa.

And when the old woman is out............

A group, AUDIOSLAVE is the nastiest, hardest, filthy slammin, screaming guitar, pounding bass player,

trash that I have heard in years. "Caulk the mids" type of sound. Not heavy metal. Just HEAVY.

Enough said. Back to being 53.

tc

----------------

On 12/28/2003 7:47:33 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

On 12/23/2003 3:46:57 PM Sublime40 wrote:

My favorites I purchased this year: The Flaming Lips: "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots", Led Zeppelin: "How the West Was Won", Jack Johnson: "On and On"----------------

I am an old man and try to act my age. I listen to R&B, Jazz, Smooth Jazz, etc.

But my roots are in 60's - 70's hard rock. HARD.....Blue Cheer, Jimi, marshals,Robin Trower, Sun amps, Hi-Watt, ELP,Zappa.

And when the old woman is out............

A group, AUDIOSLAVE is the nastiest, hardest, filthy slammin, screaming guitar, pounding bass player,

trash that I have heard in years. "Caulk the mids" type of sound. Not heavy metal. Just HEAVY.

Enough said. Back to being 53.

tc

----------------

PS: The J. Cash was haunting and great.

bumpity comment, designed to keep topic on top:

Thanks for all of the posts, going to check out the Elvis Costello.

My disc of the year (now where is that post?) will be Norah Jones incredible jazz debut. Although I have been listening to this disc for most of the year, the sharp clarity and velvety texture of her young yet powerful voice, with her delicate but forceful phrasings, stills catches me by surprise. I am stocking up on Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson and Allison Krause, but this one is a winner in my books. Eight Grammies may be overdone, but it is an excellent album nonetheless.

Shameless link to my article: Gonna Be Great, 'cause She Got Eight (EnjoyTheMusic.com, archives, music reviews, scroll down)

2.gif

Norah Jones may not be the old school of jazz, but then I dont like that funky stuff, Coltrane leaves cold, I prefer the smooth jazz, or jazz-rock fusion, her disc may have been released in 2002, but the question was what disc did you purchase last year that was the best, I bought her disc last year, I also intentionally phrased the question to allow nomination of DVD concerts and movies

Its just me raining on somebody's parade again...

Has anyone else noticed that you can get:

a) good music

- or -

B) good recording

But NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME?!!! What's up with that?!

I thought that Nora Jones (best new performer of the year - was that "last" year?) has an untrained voice, and the engineering left alot to be desired; so what was that award about anyway?

Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" good on both counts; Nora Jones bad on both counts - ok for CAR stereo in a pinch.

Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" good music, bad engineering; "Everything Must Go" bad (not up to normal Steely Dan calibre) music, good engineering. What's up with that?

DM11.gif

D-man,

Good music that is performed well and recorded well is very much the exception to the rule. When it happens, buy it because it is a rare keeper IMO.

Movies suffer in a similar manner. There are many B movies, but very few real A movies with an original story.

Bill

Does FREE count? My favorite disc was given to me by my father for Christmas:

Blues for Bu - Charles Fambrough

Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis

All Blues - Miles Davis

Bessie's Blues - John Coltrane

Signifyin' - Lou Donaldson

Orbit 6 - Bunky Green

House Warmin' - Howard McGhee

Sassy - Winton Kelly

Bunny - Gerry Mulligan and Johnny Hodges

Back Beat - Mulligan and Hodges

What's it all About - Mulligan and Hodges

My favorite purchased disc of the year (released 2000?) was Jimi Hendrix - Morning Symphony Ideas

D-man, you are not raining here, I think you can get both good music and good recordings, although of course, they are rare, much of the really popular music, (is that what you call good?) is not well recorded or well made, it is quickly pressed,

in this regard, I think that Diana Krall, kd lang, Patricia Barber, Allison Kraus, Amanda McBroom, Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee Jones, DMP, Chesky, Reference Recordings, Sarah McLachlin, Sting, supposedly the new Elvis Costello, Chuck Loeb, Richard Elliot, Cassandra Wilson and Norah Jones all qualify: they are elegantly simple recordings, easy for home movie and music reproduction system to reproduce and good music.

And yes, free always counts

bumpity comment, designed to keep topic on top.