Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup but he only has the smaller .033 and .022 values of these caps sorry to say ! The ones really needed for almost all vintage amps are .1uF and above in the important spots !! Its real depressing to have to deal with old Tony but you do what you have too !

Georg,

I pretty much totd you what I think with your speakers and budget

You can not touch the sound of most vintage integrated for under $1500 to $2000 on the new market !! You will never be happy with low wattage on the RF3's but hey this again is my Opinion and I hope I do not get bashed for it. Do what will make you happy !

Good Luck

Craig

----------------

On 12/20/2003 12:46:46 AM NOSValves wrote:

Yup but he only has the smaller .033 and .022 values of these caps sorry to say ! The ones really needed for almost all vintage amps are .1uF and above in the important spots !! Its real depressing to have to deal with old Tony but you do what you have too !

Georg,

You can not touch the sound of most vintage integrated for under $1500 to $2000 on the new market !! You will never be happy with low wattage on the RF3's but hey this again is my Opinion and I hope I do not get bashed for it. Do what will make you happy !

Good Luck

Craig

----------------

Damnit Craig,

Your going to make me get that Scott 299-C and have you turn it into a freakin audio hotrod arent you!9.gif10.gif

----------------

On 12/20/2003 12:51:35 AM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

----------------

On 12/20/2003 12:46:46 AM NOSValves wrote:

Georg,

Good Luck

Craig

----------------

Damnit Craig,

Your going to make me get that Scott 299-C and have you turn it into a freakin audio hotrod arent you!
9.gif10.gif

----------------

You sound like me a month ago.

You know I just thought of something that may help you decide for yourself

I bet there are somewhere in the area of 400 members of this forum using vintage integrated amps not all of them are constant posters but many have had there amps for extended periods of time and see no reason to move on. Many that do move up the ladder never get rid of there beloved integrated amp because it imparts a sound that nothing else can including SET.

Find that many users of any other one type of amp on this forum.

Craig

SET stands for SINGLE ENDED TRIODE a Triode is a particular tube type

SE is single ended anything and does not sound like above at all.

The Integrated vintage amps a pentode push pull class AB1 they stay in class A most of the time then switch the B when called on for extra oomph the best of both worlds giving you enough oomph for those movies, rock & roll, full symphony whatever and a very sweet sound. The difference are SPLITTING HAIRS they are there but not to the proportion that most potray them at.

Craig

GFH:

A few weeks ago, I was also looking to get into the tube amp world. I have a pair of RF-7's, so I was looking for something to suit their extremely high efficiency. I was also in the same boat you are with your approximate budget.

Craig recommended the Cayin TA-30 to me, and I don't see how I could have better spent $650. Its 35wpc would be perfect for your RF-3's. You'll get the best of both worlds: great, warm tube sound for your classical music, along with the ability to harrass your neighbors with the HT power. I was worried 35wpc wouldn't give me the juice for movies and louder genres of music, but the TA-30 actually delivers more punch than my 100wpc Onkyo SS receiver ever imagined.

Like some other people on here, I would hesitate running your Rotel receiver as a pre-amp. Rotel makes a good product, but it would be a mismatch of hardware. Even though you can use the Rotel as an input for your Dolby signals, when that signal goes from the Rotel to your 2-channel stereo tube amp, that signal will get lost. In fact, a 5-channel signal getting "forcefully" converted to 2-channel might sound worse than you'd expect. You might think about viewing your DVD's in 2-channel audio so that it sounds more natural with a stereo tube amp setup.

Just for fun, I tried bi-amping my RF-7's using the 100wpc Onkyo to run the bass and the new Cayin to run the mids and highs. I used the Onkyo's pre-outs to go to the Cayin, which is what you would be doing in a pre-amp/amp setup. Well, it sounded horrible. The clean, smooth, warm sound that the Cayin produced by itself disappeared when running from the SS Onkyo.

Plus, running a SS receiver into a tube amp defeats the purpose of running a tube amp - pure, low hum/distortion, clean sound! Even though that Rotel is a nice receiver, it will still introduce unwanted artifacts into the sound that a nice tube amp will only accentuate.

-Jesse

Stream, I will choose the option for Dolby 2.0 in the sound menu on the DVD so that way it is outputted for 2 channel. Also thanks for your critique of the the Cayin which is on my list as well.

So between the Cayin TA-30 and the Scott 299-C, which would you choose?

Im going to be using the MIT interconnects to hook either these bad boys up to the Pre outs on my reciever.

Stream,

Your missing one very important differences between the Cayin and the Scott. The Scott has a active preamp that basically molds the signal that is given to it by the Rotel. Also do you think a CD is any different then the Rotel ? I don't believe he was talking about running 5.1 the way your describing it he said Dolby 2 all DVD have a 2 channel mix in them besides the 5.1 and if he just powers the front 2 channels thru the Scott or whatever he gets and the rest if he does have surround sound then why is it going to sound horrible ? I do this here with great success and I mean great. My scott running 2 channel sounds better them my surround reciever in 5.1 in all but the most active action type large scale productions. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Cayin is a great preamp for someone that wants new no arguing that and is what I mentioned at first also. But if someone has no objection to vintage I would go vintage all the way they just sound better to me.

Craig

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:07:30 AM NOSValves wrote:

Stream,

Your missing one very imprtant difference between the Cayin and the Scott. The Scott has a active preamp that basically molds the signal that is given to it by the Rotel. Also do you think a CD is any different then the Rotel ? I don't believe he was talking about running 5.1 the way your describing it he said Dolby 2 all DVD have a 2 channel mix in them besides the 5.1 and if he just powers the front 2 channels thru the Scott or whatever he gets and the rest if he does have surround sound then why is it going to sound horrible ? I do this here with great success and I mean great. My scott running 2 channel sounds better them my surround reciever in 5.1 in all but the most active action type large scale productions. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Cayin is a great preamp for someone that wants new no arguing that and is what I mentioned at first also. But if someone has no objection to vintage I would go vintage all the way they just sound better to me.

Craig

----------------

Craig, Ok, I give up. Im thinking of going with the Scott 299-C and have you take a fine tooth comb to it and replace each and every tube with the EC tubes that you like and replace every capacitor and bias all the inputs and outputs. I want this thing totally overhauled and sounding as sweet as you can make it possible. I want the best quality tubes used in this amp!. I took your advice and im sniping11.gif

Dean,

Well, I'm finding it increasingly true that I really was "conditioned" to prefer the SS flashy sound with lots of additional treble.

However, the more used I get to music the way it's "supposed to sound," the more I like it. Accordingly, I'm finding an increase in my treble more and more unnecessary. But, I'm still going to look into treating the walls in my room once I get these RF-7's into a suitable room in May.

-Jesse

I'll never get rid of my scott. I'll never get rid of the fisher and I haven't even bought it yet. It's on trial right now. If I had to rank them, it would be:

1) Scott 299b

2) Fisher X-100-C

3) McIntosh MC 240/Marantz 7C (waiting to put in better tubes which could change things)

For what I could sell the mac/marantz for, I could buy 6 more scotts and have them rebuilt ot get 2 pairs of used khorns or 4 pairs of cornwalls. You get the picture.

Well the auction doesn't end for 3 days you still have time to check things out. Do your research and don't except anyones opinion as fact including mine. Way things out all ways. I have yet to have a customer say they didn't like a amp after they got it. I've had some move on and one that didn't end up liking tubes at all after he rolled in 4 or 5 different amps he is still with his original SS. But as a general rule people love these amps.

Craig