Buying 12ga wire...

Gary W. Graley

I've searched the town over and no one has 12ga speaker wire in house! amazing eh? but then it isn't a big hifi town...

I've search on line and found this site;

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=100-155&DID=7

12ga, 100 ft roll for about $35.90 plus shipping.

Now I've never heard of Sound King before, anyone have experience with it? Or can recommend another place?

Thanks,

G2

I've done a lot of business with Parts Express over the years. Always good service. Sometimes you have to get to the right guy with technical questions and there have been occasional slips. But that happens everywhere.

I'm a member of the "wire is wire" camp. What you're looking at is just another form of zip cord. Here it has the transparent insulation. I find it can be a little more difficult to strip than ordinary zip cord because it is tougher. That is nothing to worry about. You'll also find that the insulator on one side has either a red stripe or lettering so you can keep the plus to plus and the negative to negative.

The claim for low capacitance is mostly hype. The spacing and perhaps size of the wire establishes that. I'd have to look up inductance theory. It is safe to say there is no way of reducing it.

In my view, this is "just wire" and good in the application at a reasonable price. The same stuff, perhaps in smaller gauges, is sold at electronic superstores, RS, and HD.

I'll point out that the next issue is how to attach 12 gauge wire to your amp and speaker. You might look at RS or Parts Express for banana plugs which will take 12 gauge.

Best,

Gil

Good wire Gary. The cover is much heavier and, as Gil said, is actually marked. Some of the cheaper wire you find locally has a cover with a harder consistancy and will tend to split when you strip it. Pain in the butt for a few cents less. If that's the type wire that you want, I say go for it.

Keith

if you have like a best buy or circuit city around, just go buy their 12ga speaker wire for car subs/amp hookup. I think its like 12ft for 10 dollars. There not kimber cables or MIT cables by all mean, but its 10 dollars, what can you expect.

oh yeah, better yet, they come in assortments of colors lol.

I know where you can get really nice 10ga for $0.25 a foot, a steal actually! I bought 100ft myself and was extremely pleased. The guy sells it on eBay, it is made by Orion Car Audio and is the top notch Ntense series wire. I think he still has some to sell. Come to think of it I should pick up some more before it is all gone.

I am not sure if I am reading you right...but you might not want this wire if you are going in-wall with it. I do not see a UL approved rating on it.

I got my 12 guage in-wall wire from Parts Express. It's only about 35 - 40 mins from my house. I believe it was called "Carol" and was about $20 for 50 feet. Was particularly made for in-wall use and works great.

Lance, nope not in the walls.

I called Parts Express, it would be just over $9 to get a roll to my house, probably would be fine, the other cables I've seen have a little more separation between the wires, if that makes much difference?

Thanks guys, I also emailed that person, no answer yet, actually tried to instant message him on AOL last night, either was away/busy/or didn't want to be bothered, can't blame them...

G2

we sell 100 ft of 12 gauge 2conductor speaker inwall cable for $28 and change plus shipping from minneapolis...(no tax if you are not in minnesota)

all of our wire is made in the usa and is quality pvc jacketing.... none of the crap that you see in imported wire...

call me at 1-800-328-0270 from 8 to 4:30 central time...

shipping is actual ups charges to your address...

i have over 4000 feet in stock and i will ship the same day you call (before 3:00)

aei electronics

----------------

On 12/26/2003 6:43:01 PM BigBusa wrote:

believe it or not your local home depot has some high quality 12 ga speaker wire for really reasonable prices. Go check!

----------------

Unfortunately we don't have a Home depot near by, or I would certainly give that a shot, there is one a little ways away and may take a trip there and see what they have in stock. Thanks.

G2

Unfortunately I tried buying 12Ga at Home Depot. They no longer carry Monster, and the largest speaker wire they carry is 14Ga.

Went to Lowe's. They have no 12Ga speaker wire on the audio shelves, but I did score a 100' spool from the cut to length section. Didn't see any 10Ga.

Lowes on the spool in the electrical department.(FYI, Not audio. Go to the electrical spools where the wire is for your house.)

Same stuff basically as the "monster" stuff at your high end stereo store.

I am in the same camp with GIL. We all proved it at the Klipsch weekend last summer. With a 1000 dollar speaker wire vs 12 guage generic one test. People could NOT consistently tell the difference at all.