Picture of my Completed DRD45 Amps **************

Cut-Throat

Kevin:

Beautiful amps and tubes, and great job on those sockets!

A question when you have the time: Would your AVA preamp be up to the task of a longer cable run, do you think? Like 25-30 feet? Do you happen to know what the output impedance is? I have always really like that preamp, and might like to start putting pennies away in the piggy bank for one! (maybe I should go with quarters instead of pennies, huh!?) 1.gif

The cheap sockets are MUCH better than the Teflon ones that came with the amps. This was the same situation on the DRD 2A3s I built for another forum member. His have also been changed to ceramics -- a material that has proven very rugged and durable over the long haul.

I think when certain aspects of the design of the Teflon ones are ironed out a bit, they will be very good. Right now, I don't think they are worth the very high cost.

I dunno what like better, the amps or the table they are sitting on.

What does a pair of those TJ meshplates run anyway?

(You don't have to answer that one.)

They are specced out as a 45 tube with 2.5 volt filaments, correct?

My audio friend Dan had just pretty much concluded that he wanted to go for a pair of 45 monoblocks before he split for CA.

Of course, this could change at any given moment.

The TJ Meshplate Tubes were a given for me as I had good luck with the 300B and 2A3 Mesh Plates. I got them from DIY Cable - Kevin Haskins for around $275 for the pair. Sonics are great - hard to describe. - These are the only new production 45's that I am aware of. Maybe EML - but that's about it.

The bases of the amp are Paduak Wood and have 4 coats of Tung Oil on them. The Red/Orange Color is the natural shade of the Wood.

The 'Table' That my amps are on is actually a Custom Made Audio Cabinet that I designed and was built for me. Quartersawn White Oak with 1 1/4 inch Granite Inlays for the Top. Mission Style design. 3 Drawers with dividers holding many, many CD's. 2 Doors holding my CD player and Tuner and another Amp.

"(maybe I should go with quarters instead of pennies, huh!"

Erik,

Believe it or not that's how I saved up for my Khorns! Took me over three years. Went from wanting Advents to Cornwalls to Lascalas to Khorns. Each time I thought I had enough for the speakers I wanted I found something better for just a couple of hundred dollars more until I had enough for Khorns.

Rick

Really excellent looking work Kevin. AYDN is a distributor in California that also carries the TJ Full Music 45s. Emission Labs has gotten my interest lately, check out their customer comment section. Emission's German distributor offers a published price sheet in Euros, using a currency converter their 45 runs ~$310, the 45 mesh is ~$400.

Looks like the 45 has continued attention worldwide, recently ran into one more new kit available from Yamamoto Sound Craft.