Opinions needed to help guide the way

TommyK

Greetings,

I have a pair of Heresy IIs in storage. I Loved the sound when I had them set up w/ my Paramour 2A3s. There was nothing finer for female vocals. But for one reason or another they got put away. It is time to reclaim that Magic I remember.

But here is the rub, and where I could use some advice. I have a good line on a pair of Heresys. What are the sonic differences b/w the two? But I also have some dough burning a hole in my pocket - and my eyes have always been attracted to LaScalas.

SO -- do I stick with my IIs, try the original Heresys, or start looking at shippers and buy some LaScalas.

I have no corners free so K-Horns are out. Prodigious bass is not a necessity. I have a 25 x 15 living room with lots of nodes. I listen mostly to guitar rock, city folk, grateful dead, live jam bands, female acoustic vocals, some jazz. I also use an El34 PP amp quite a bit (Nobis Proteus & Cantabile) Currently I have a pair of Hartley Holtons set up.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Peace,

TommyK, Butler NJ

Welcome to the forum.

IMO there is no comparison between the Heresy and the LaScala. The LS is so much more clear and open, and the bass is fast and strong. They are a much more dynamic speaker that would be better suited to your size room and listening tastes.

Typically LS's are not seen as very wife friendly though. Aesthetically there something menacing about gaping into the black holes. It's almost scary.

If you decide to go the LS route, I wanted to let you know that I have 3 pairs of LS's just waiting to be refinished. Future projects that I'll get to sometime, sooner if someone is interested in them. I can do any type of custom finish including re-veneering in exotic hardwoods. My plans include some very nice veneer, and custom grilles that cover not only the upper horns, but also the lower bass horn, much like a Belle Klipsch. I can include ALK crossovers, a choice of K-33 or K-43 woofers, and any other custom feature you may want.

Sorry to hit you up with my shameful self-promotion so soon after coming to the forum! But the opportunity presented itself.

There's a great bunch of guys here, and I'm sure you won't find any lack of opinions regarding speaker and amplifier choice. It's a very active forum, and we're glad to have you aboard.

Greg

No doubt, get a pr of LaS. They are plentiful & reasonably priced used.I recently bought a second pr for $800. Greg can fix you up with a nicely finished pr for less than you'd spend for the same quality finish. Many of us also opt for the ALK crossovers, which he posted that he can install for you. I'd at least give him a call & check out the possibilities.

Welcome to the forum.

SSH 1.gif