What Amp Should I Buy... Tube or SS

HornPenguin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could you possibly know that Neo? What solid state amps do they shame -- $200 HT receivers? John thought they sounded weak, and there is no reason not to believe him. Since John is well respected by most on this forum, please don't slam him without good reason.

If John said that the Waves 8s sound good at first but were tiring over long term listening i would believe him over 100 paid audiopile reviewers. He has no axe to grind nor is he expecting free products or renumeration of any kind. Plain and simple he did not like the little buggers, others do and are entitled to there own opinions. YMMV.

Rick

My ONLY point is that I dont believe WAVE 8 to be representative of what tube audio can do any more than a B&K ST-140, though a great little SS amp for the ducats, represents the pinnacle of solid state. My comments were mainly concerning making an assessment on tube amps in general when sampling a low cost component. I dont find this particular accurate, if that is a goal to shoot for. Whoever said that the WAVE 8 amps were comparable to tube amps running into the thousands was either wanting to sell a pair or feeling mighty proud of a new purchase.

The terms "liguid and soft" might not translate very well. I surely dont like SOFT sounding amplifiers at all. I dont think I have EVER used that word to describe a good tube amp. If ANY amp sounded SOFT, I would surely not find it to my liking. On the other hand, if an amp is HARD sounding with a more etched quality like a good many even quality solid state amps, then that is just as error filled in my view, perhaps even more so as REAL transparency and a see-thru quality shouldnt be obtainded with an overly etched, more unrealistic reproduction, so common with solid state. Even Class A solid state has a hard time nailing the top end and midrange. Simply put, while providing impact, I just feel it doesnt sound as REAL.

After sliding down the high end solid state path, I just simply didnt think it sounded as REAL or emotionally involving as the best tube amps had to offer. Then again, mediocre tube amplifiers can leave something to be desired, especially if not matched in a good system. I do think that mediocre tube amplifiers have it all over mediocre solid state, at least in the crucial midrange.

Neo, that was a little harsh I think. My only discussion with John was that he might keep his mind open a bit to hear some other tube options not writing the spectrum off because of time spent with the the little WAVE 8 amps.

kh

I stand by what I said, especially when the pair costs 25 bucks. The Wave 8s are not "SOFT" by any mean! And the sound improves substantially with NOS Mullard 6BM8 tubes. Even many decent SS amps can't match the litte Waves' midrange!

Neo: I would like to submit or suggest the possiblity that the manner in which a statement is made can often carry more weight than WHAT is actually said. I think what was written concerning John could have been done quite a bit differently.

On the OPT question: Those you have been considering are among the best available. You could go with any one of them and have a really great amplifier. Decisions like this can be paralyzing, and it might be worth it to just jump in and swim. Changes can always be made down the line, and there are enough DIYers on this forum who would probably help make the sale of a couple of OPTs a fairly certain thing.

Did someone mention a hybrid design??

I am toying with getting one of these for the bedroom to drive the Sansui 2500's and replace the Aiwa (wife's secretary wants a cheap stereo - 2 birds with one stone possibly).

Odysseas.jpg

Have to admit it is the price of this thing that appeals the most - 60 wpc into 8 ohms / 100 into 4, tube front end all for 380 Euros ($ is now around 1.28 to the Euro making it rather expensive relatively for you guys in the US - sorry about that).

specs are at : http://www.tsakiridis-devices.com/odysseas.htm

No need to ask the manufacturer - you know me....

----------------

On 1/12/2004 7:20:45 AM maxg wrote:

Did someone mention a hybrid design??

I am toying with getting one of these for the bedroom to drive the Sansui 2500's and replace the Aiwa (wife's secretary wants a cheap stereo - 2 birds with one stone possibly).

Odysseas.jpg"

Have to admit it is the price of this thing that appeals the most - 60 wpc into 8 ohms / 100 into 4, tube front end all for 380 Euros ($ is now around 1.28 to the Euro making it rather expensive relatively for you guys in the US - sorry about that).

specs are at :

No need to ask the manufacturer - you know me....
----------------

That's like $500 US .... Wow that looks interesting ! Wonder what total cost to the US would be ?

VTL stands for Vacuum Tube Logic. VTL was started by the Manley family back in the 80's before the family members split into two companies, VTL and Manley. VTL may have had some reliability issues in the early days, but I have had a VTL Stereo 50 of early 90's vintage since 1997 and have had no problems at all. It runs 5881 output tubes and is surprisingly muscular sounding for its size and rated output. The quantity and quality of bass is very, very good IMHO. I bought it used just to see what all the fuss about tubes was all about. I have never been disappointed since. I have also heard a huge pair of VTL 250 watt monoblocks running a monstrous pair of Planar Magnetic speakers. Awesome!

Nick