Quad II-forty and Quad-24

Deang

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, no playing with placement until I build the false corners this summer.

Craig, of course they probably sound different. I shouldn't have said "same type circuit" -- I just meant they used the same layout. I'm sure voltages and what not are different from beginning to end. The schematic for the II-forty is on the way through snail mail.

Good to hear you finally settled on some new gear dean, looks like a nice set up.

Your fun has just began , I've owned my k's since 1987 and scala's long before that. Everytime i move houses or change room dimensions it's a whole new ball game all over again.

Lot of guys here and on other forums just can't seem to get it through there thick skulls that room acoustics play a huge role is sound quality , tuning your room can take a lot more time and energy than rolling tubes,interconects, etc.

My best friend has walnut k's , walnut belles and 2 power'd subs hooked into enough nak PA-7'S to touch the roof , yet it's all stuffed into a 12 x 10 room. Sounds like sh!t if you ask me .How can you get any seperation in such a small space ?

Point i'm trying to make is - you can buy the best of the best of everything but if you want to set it up in a tiled bathroom don't expect good results.

There have been many times when i've thought about upgrading from klipsch due to poor sound but have always resolved the issues with the room itself.

DALE

PS - Heres a link to the construction method i'm using for my new 24 x 20 theater / listening room . http://www.asc-soundproof.com/index-isowall.htm

Dean:

The last time I said on congrats on the new K-horns...well...it wasn't for real! :)

So, you really have those things now -- I can tell from your description that you do. That you find it difficult to put the experience into words is a good indicator of that!

Just great, you have got a world-class system there. Thanks for showing us the inside of the amps. There are different school of thought on the point-to-point thing. Some say the shorter signal paths provided by PCB can be superior, but I'm just used to the former. When isn't there a difference of opinion about all of this?! I'd love to see your new K-horns if you could post a picture of them. What network do these new ones use?

Dean,

It looks like you have a very nice setup. The KHorns sure put some religion into me when I heard them at Chris's. The Quads are very impressive .. the distortion specs look like ss specs except cleanest at 1 W where you'll really hear it with efficient speakers. Loks like a lot of very good listening.

Leo

Thanks Leo and Erik.

High bandwidth, low distortion -- probably a fair amount of feedback in these. They sound good though.

Yeah, PCB in the preamp, but point-to-point in the amps. Go figure.

I wonder what the reserve is on those Quads?