Quad II-forty and Quad-24

Deang

As far as push-pulls go, I'm officially adding this trio (along with the Quicksilvers, AES AE-25 DJH, Dynaco MK IIIs, and vintage Pilot) to my list of amps that sound stellar with horns listening to Rock and Metal.

They fall somewhere between the Quicksilvers and AE-25 DJH. Smooth, punchy, with good grip. Not as tubey sounding as the Quickies, but not as fast and incisive as the AE-25 DJH. I feel like Goldilocks -- these are juuust right.

The original Quad II was designed by Peter Walker back in the 50's. They are similiar to the Quicksilvers and Dynacos in that they have a very simple circuit, and run in Ultralinear with a touch of feedback. The original Quad used KT-66's and had twenty watts per channel. The Quad II-forties use the same basic circuit, but modded by Andy Grove of Audionote to use KT-88s.

The real surprise here is the preamp. I wasn't expecting much, but the synergy here is undeniable. One 6111 twin triode tube that is actually soldered into place. The preamp is quiet, and has a good solid feel.

These might be around for a while. They really get the Klipschorns hopping, and they're very sweet and easy on the ears at all volume levels. I spent the night trying to find the weak spot, but the music kept getting in the way.

Live pictures when I get the digital camera back. I haven't looked underneath yet -- having too much fun to worry about it.

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/iiforty.htm

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=29487&

post-3205-13819251363424_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is a total and complete surprise. I had no idea you were even in this area of purchase. I think I saw this total combo on Audiogon - those the ones you got? You finally found a tube amp with tube rectification, and monoblocks to boot. I always wondered how much these really differed from the original QUAD II amps. Saw a review of the pre on Six Moons a while back. Interesting.

Total surprise you actually have this and the Khorns already? A lot has happened since the last time I dropped by for a long visit. Throw up some shots of the interior of the Quads when you get a chance (the amps). The preamp interior is a far cry from some other point to point wired options. But there is a lot to be said for synergy, certainly more than gets mentioned here.

Those are neat looking amps, with or without grills.

kh

Dean,

Sound like a guessed right Heh !! Glad you digging the new setup ! They sure look awesome which we both know is very high on your list2.gif Now stay the heck off the forum and give them some serious listening and tweaking ! How's the Khorn working out in the corners ??

Craig

Interesting choice Dean.

I got to hear this amp and pre-amp combo a couple of years ago running the Quad 988 speakers. Even in the very small demo room the volume was simply not there with such demanding speakers.

Just as things were starting to get interesting we asked the guy to turn up the volume and he told us it was maxed out already.

For some reason I never really considered them for use with the Heresies - probably an oversight on my part. I seem to remember they were playing with Svetlana C6550's when we heard them but I might be wrong.

Nice combo..

They really look like the ones in the picture. The paint job is awesome. The guy bought them new back in May. I did find two flaws in the paint, and one of them is a small scratch on top of one of the transformer covers. However, it almost looks as if it happened while the paint was still wet. It's hard to complain though considering the price I picked up the three pieces for.

Kelly, yes, these were the ones on Audiogon. I'll get some good pictures tonight when I get home.

The new Klipschorns are very impressive. I would never be able to find the proper words to give them full justice. Since they are on the short wall however, I'm still forced into my nearfield listening position to get the best from them. Talk about some serious nearfield monitors. I expected some harshness along with the newness, and was expecting a bit of a break-in period -- but this hasn't been the case. The top in fact sounds cleaner than the RF-7, a fact which still has me scratching my head somewhat. There is just a wee bit of that "hollow", wooly sound at low volumes that I've always detected with Heritage. Well, nothing the volume knob can't cure.:) I do expect things to open up a little more over the next week or so. Fit and finish are first rate and second to none -- a beautiful speaker.

I don't have enough experience with the Klipschorns to tell anyone here that they are an improvement, or superior offering to any other Klipschorn Klipsch has put out in the past. However, I can only say that they sound every bit as good as what I heard over at Paul's house. Majestic, powerful, clean. My sissy ears don't detect anything I'm not happy with.

I've been enjoying running them through the paces, and tonight I'm going to implement the Deano Capo Conditioning Process.9.gif

So, how do the RF-7s compare? In truth, I think they compare quite well, especially when you consider that the RF-7 costs less than half as much. Do I miss my two-ways? Yeah, a little. I still think they offer some things not found even in something as wonderful as the Klipschorn. In a big room, I'm sure the Klipschorn stomps the RF-7 easily -- but in smaller rooms like most have, it's much closer than some of you might think. As much as I love these Klipschorns, the experience has actually elevated my respect and admiration for the RF-7. However, the Klipschorn is King -- of this there is no doubt.

Congratulations Dean on the k-horn purchase, even in near field they are wonderful! I wonder if you tried the k-horns with your 2A3 monoblocks before going Quad? (perhaps I missed that thread) I just thought that since you moved up significantly in efficiency you might find the 2A3s sufficient. Regards, Tony

Hell yeah, the Canary is gone. For an amp that retails for around $4800, and normally sells for $3500, it should have walked all over your MK IIIs. Then of course there were the ugly square waves at 100Hz and below when driving both channels. I still think the amp sounded smoother than the Dynacos, but OTOH, I definitely have to concede that it didn't sound as controlled on the low end, lively in the midrange, or realistic overall.

I'm not going to lie. I'm about as green as one can possibly be regarding Heritage. In the past, it was easy to take advice with a grain of salt, or totally disregard it, because I knew the RF-7s so well and you clowns didn't. This however is completely different, and I ended realizing that if I didn't take all the previous advice seriously, I might be sorry. So yeah, I was a little afraid. After several phone conversations with Craig, I even went back and dug up some of Kelly's old posts on tube rectification and comments regarding stereo amps compared to monoblocks. I actually had the Van Alstine 350ex on order when my feet got wet. I was really looking for a nice set of Quicksilvers, and had even considered buying some new Horn Monos, but really wanted tube rectification in the amps. I even looked at some nice VACs, but they were out of my price range. Finding the ad for the Quads and doing a little bit of reading on them I figured, "close enough". I'll probably open them up tonight and find rubbish.1.gif

I'm just tickled pink that you have a tube rectified set of mono blocks that use KT88's and your not hearing the infamous "overly etched sound" It just isn't there when everything is right! I think that this becomes more the case when the KT88's are pushed to produce near there limit in wattage. When you drop them down to a lazy (for lack of a better word) operating point they become very EL34ish but with bottom end slam! I just wish you had the tube rolling options with those amps. I'm not talking brands here but tube types. I find this makes a much more profound effect on a amps sound. I truly think one could roll 10 different brands of KT88's or 6500 ect and the differences in overall sound are very subtle. Now take out your KT88 and slide in some 6L6's and you really hear a completely different presentation.

Craig