Any JBL Northridge owners here? If so, look here.

Sorry guys. My early '70 JBLs (4311 studio monitors) still rock the house quite well. The bass goes lower than my Heresies. Other than efficiency, they sound pretty equal. Real walnut veneer too. The JBLs are also three ways 12inch/5inch and a tweeter. I don't know what $329 in '72 dollars would be today. That's each!

Marvel

I'm running some JBL N26AW's out on the patio and they sound great. $109 two years back. The outdoor Klipsch($300)just didn't do it it for me. Now maybe a Heresy IIAW(all weather)would.

I wonder how the indoor and outdoor JBL N26's differ in sound?

Well written and documented procedure from your link, thanks

----------------

On 1/12/2004 3:49:33 PM ironwoods wrote:

I'm running some JBL N26AW's out on the patio and they sound great. $109 two years back. The outdoor Klipsch($300)just didn't do it it for me. Now maybe a Heresy IIAW(all weather)would.

I wonder how the indoor and outdoor JBL N26's differ in sound?

Well written and documented procedure from your link, thanks

----------------

I've had the JBL outdoor speakers right next to the indoor ones before I modded them, there was no difference I could hear. I didn't take the outdoor ones apart but the only thing I could see that was different from the outside was there was a screen on the port, probably so nothing crawls inside. I highly recommend you try it, I think you'll find it's worth the small investment. Even if you don't feel it's worth it you're only out $2.50 and only mintues of your time.

I have made mention before of cheap speakers using cabinet resonance instead of using quality drivers and large voice coils do the job. I am with Marvel in that I still employ a pair of L110 (a domesticated version of one of their studio monitors) in one of my systems. What is nice is that I can tune the mids and tweets to compensate for poor CD recordings (to a limit, that is). They are nice speakers and put to shame anything that JBL (Harman) puts in stores now. I will never sell them. I can also crank them without ear fatigue. JBL put out some nice products in their glory days.

Hey Frankie, so they use the same drivers in both models? That just seems wierd, as the outdoor ones would have(?)to be more resistant to heat & humidity extremes, I'd imagine. Maybe they just put some kind of spray coating on the midbass, that isn't noticeable?

Come summer time, maybe I'll open 'em up and give a coat inside. Yeah, $2.50, what the heck.

The JBL N26's may be cheap and do not compare to a 70's studio monitor type of speaker , but one way or another, they got 'em to sound pretty good, at least to my ears. That's $109 for 2 in late 2002!2.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2004 1:44:23 PM ironwoods wrote:

Hey Frankie, so they use the same drivers in both models? That just seems wierd, as the outdoor ones would have(?)to be more resistant to heat & humidity extremes, I'd imagine. Maybe they just put some kind of spray coating on the midbass, that isn't noticeable?

Come summer time, maybe I'll open 'em up and give a coat inside. Yeah, $2.50, what the heck.

The JBL N26's may be cheap and do not compare to a 70's studio monitor type of speaker , but one way or another, they got 'em to sound pretty good, at least to my ears. That's $109 for 2 in late 2002!
2.gif

----------------

Well it very well could have some sort of coating to help protect the woofer, but nothing was visible from the exterior and it had no audible effect that I could tell.

I just finished hooking up my parent's home theater today and it sounds damn good for the $300 spent on the JBL speakers.

I still have tiny bit left in the can...I already sprayed the horns in my KLF-20's and KLF-C7 I might do my Promedia 2.1's just to use up the rest.