Klipsch or Polk

kevin_1489

I am upgrading my home theatre and i went to a couple hifi stores. I asked what the best speakers he has in and he told me about the polk audio Lsi lineup and the klipsch RF lineup. I am looking to get the LSi 25 or the RF-7. Unfortunatly he only had the klipsch hooked up so i could not here both. I have heard that the polk seem to be a well performing speaker. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the LSi 25 as to how good it performs next to the RF-7.

The Polk LSi series are very good speakers, but there is some information that you need to know even if you like the sound. The Polk speakers in question are 4 ohm speakers with much lower sensitivity. They absolutely require serious amplification. Most receivers are not up to the task.

The RF-7s are rated at 8 ohms with a sensitivity rating of 102 db/1w/1m. The RF-7s are easier to drive, but require a clean front end. That is to say that the RF-7s will put out exactly what is put in. Hence garbage in garbage out.

The $64 question is whether you like the unique Klipsch sound of live music or some other sound. The best way to determine the sound that you like is to listen to properly set up speakers with music that you are very familiar with. Be sure to match sound levels with a meter when you switch speakers. Otherwise the loudest speaker always wins (which is likely to be Klipsch9.gif .)

Bill

I myself would never buy anything than a Klipsch type horn design. But that is just me.

I'd say that you're making a sizable investment and have a lot of good speakers to choose from. No matter what the ultimate choice, it should be based upon your experience after listening to the choices. Otherwise you may be listening to whatever purchase in the future and wondering whether you should have bought something else.

Gil

When I bought my ht I looked at both name brands, Klipsch and Polk. Obiously, Klipsh won!!!! I love the horns, the small amount of power you need to drive them, and most important the sound. Just simply marvelous! But that is just my 2cents-some people think Bose beat out both name brands--Go with what ya like, you have to listen to it not me.2.gif

before you can say power isn't an issue you have to understand how exactly the watt to output system works. to gain a 3 db increase in acoustic output you need to double power input from the amplifier. this might not seem like much, because when you're dealing with klipsch you're usually talkin doubling 1 or 2 watts. the polk's are 88 db vs. the 102 of the RF-7's. this means that to match the 102 db output of the klipsch you'll need close to 20 watts of power rather then 1. as you can see, your loads of power are quickly being picked away. 105 db and you're up to 40 watts, and you'll have to go to 80 just to reach 108. at 88 db I don't think the B&K with it's 150 watts of power (thats what it has right) would be enough for the polks.

First let me say that you have enough power and ignore those silly power dbs people like to preach. I would look at the LTI12 by polk. Cheaper and better sounding. They are new and people are having problems getting them but take a look. I haven't heard the 12 but I have heard the 10 which are smaller and they sounded great. I liked them better then the 7's.

Easylistener: I would love to know what kind of amplification you heard the RF-7's with.

The Polks are very forgiving. They have the classic "audiophile" sound. That is, for the most part very laid back, ie -- BORING.

You have very good amplification, and the MOSFET design of the B&K will match up very well with the RF-7's. Another plus is that the high sensitivity of the RF-7 combined with your particular amp -- you will rarely if ever get out of Class A. Don't botch this up -- buy the RF-7's.

----------------

On 1/11/2004 10:53:27 AM DeanG wrote:

You have very good amplification, and the MOSFET design of the B&K will match up very well with the RF-7's. Another plus is that the high sensitivity of the RF-7 combined with your particular amp -- you will rarely if ever get out of Class A. Don't botch this up -- buy the RF-7's.

----------------

As having the B&K Ref 200.7 amp myself, I can whole-heartedly agree with Dean on this one. The RF-7s do indeed sound incredible when driving with that amp. Nearly two months after I got it, I am still astonished at the shear detail and clarity of the sound.

In response to Prodj's posting. The B&K is more than capable of driving those Polk LSi 15s. According to the specs on the Polk LSi 15 speaker, they are rated at 88db with a nominal impedence of 4ohms. The B&K Ref 200.7 amp, is rated at 375 watts when driving a 4 Ohm load (200 watts going into 8 Ohms) , and that is conservatively (amp specs here). Also, the B&K has plenty of current to go with those watts. I think it'll be an excellent amp to go with those Polks and will provided plenty of sufficent power to drive them to the desired listening levels.

To the original poster, all I can suggest is that you go and listen to both of those speakers and compare for yourself. I'll throw this bit of opinion in myself. Although I have not listened to the Polk speakers, I have listened to some Martin Logan Ascent speakers driven with the B&K Ref 200.5 amp (same thing as the 200.7, but only 5 channels). In my own personal opinion, I found I liked the sound of the RF-7s w/ B&K much much better than I did over the sound of the Martin-Logans w/ B&K. I am always going back to the dealer and trying new material on their M/L setup compared to my Klipsch setup, but time and time again, I found myself prefering the Klipsch! The Klipsch just seemed to have so much more punch, clarity and detail then the Martin-Logans (although the Martin-Logans are no slouch themselves). Also, just the shear dynamics of the Klipsch are way better than the Martin-Login, IMHO.

I am only bringing this up becaue I would imagine the Martin-Login would compare very favoriably to the Polk. The particular model I was listening to was twice the price of the Polk LSi 15, and they were about 50% more then the price of the RF-7s. (about $3,800 for the pair).

Anyway, as was mentioned many times, go listen to the speakers you are interested and pick the ones you like better, regardless of what anybody here or elsewhere says. Like was already said, you are the one that has to listen to it, not me.

----------------

On 1/11/2004 10:53:27 AM DeanG wrote:

Easylistener: I would love to know what kind of amplification you heard the RF-7's with.

The Polks are very forgiving. They have the classic "audiophile" sound. That is, for the most part very laid back, ie -- BORING.

----------------

I heard them on a Audire forte 250 and a Older Pioneer Elite stereo pre. Very nice system. We used all of the power it could give also. If you look the Audire amps a very high rated amp and design. This is a laid back package also. Most of the music sounded good but there are some that were on listenable because of the highes. For HT they are a good system.

The LSi system are a little over priced. The new RTi system is much less and is also a better speaker. Don't let price fool you. The tweeter in these and the drivers are all used in higher priced speakers. Don't over look these new ones trust me. They are not the newer klipsch sound they fall into a line of sound around the Forte's. Plus they are priced right around the 7's.

Do these "new"Polk sound better than the last piles a junk they made?I think it was Dean who said laid back,he was being nice,just buy KLH and save the cash.I will always be bitter at JOLK for making a speaker that sells for about the same as the 7's but could never compete with even the 3's.I had 3's and 2000i's side by side in my house and the 3's blew the JOKES away,no kiddin'.Matt needs to go back to college,he got the marketing down but not the science.

I had went on wednesday and decided to take a look at the RTi12 and matching speakers. I spent crutial hours comparing the 3 speakers in movies and music. I ended up getting the following:

RTi12 - Fronts

FXi5 - Surround

RTi6 - Surround Back

CSi5 - Centre

I liked the bass response with the RTi's, im more of a bass guy. The highs were also good. The Lsi was more in the high range, they were good but overall i think the RTi's were better than the LSi and the klipsch. When i bought the speakers and took them home and hooked the up to me B&K pre/pro, WOW. They sounded alot better than in the store with this yammi. I couldnt belive it. I tested it with pearl harbour and it blew me away. Im still deciding on whether i need a sub or not, i think i might get one for the impact in my movies. Never goin to have any regrets.

Can any of you guys give me some good choises for a sub?

Fish,

Oh come on PolkAudio makes some very good speakers in the LSi line.The larger towers sound much more civilised than the edgy and bleedy RF3's.Unless tube amplification is used with the RF3's to erase any edge

I fail to see the cheapness and low quality of the RTi,they are of much better build quality than the low rent RF3's.If there are speakers that cost nothing to manufacture its the RF7's.Two woofers at 35-$50 each and a $20 tweeter plus some MDF slapped.

The RTi VIFA tweeter is MUCH more refined and natural.Anyone failing to notice this needs to replace his hearing aids.Unless they like blood to come out of their ears. LOL

Just my valued and world famous view(the truth).1.gif

I would say the LSi lacks when compared A/B to Dynaudio's Contour line.16.gif

Kevin,

Good choice,the RTi12 are very good speakers,the local dealer just got the smaller sat version.They sound great for the price,and even not looking at the price they do a great job.

I would look at least at one Polk PSW505 or if you want true low end power and slam the Klipsch RSW15.The RSW15 is much more potent than two PSW505's!

And for even more low end power the SVS PB2-Plus.HSU also makes a great sub the VTF3-R in rosewood,performs like a SVS PB sub and looks great.

I would say ditch the PSW505 and start looking at the VTF3/RSW15 and PB2 series.

eAR,if you remember I asked if the newer line was better than the rt2000i,rt35i,etc.junk,imo they made.I plunked down over 2k for this very nice (looking)set up and it was hooked to a Carver pre/pro and amp.It sounded like CRAP,period,no need to discuss,I endured it for over a year.If the newer line is better,great,the old rt sucked(for the money),even my kids could hear that.I sold this apprx.1yr old set up at half what I paid (on sale)AND WAS GLAD TO GET IT.I burned two tweeters and blowed one woofer in a year,my Klipsch have seen much harsher treatment(lots louder anywho) and never flinched in two years.Since I actually had these speakers I feel I can be a very good judge,again the newer or lsi might be much better but they lost me forever,burned once shame on Polk,burned twice shame on me.