OT: Anyone here drink Scotch?

m00n

So, for years I've heard people talk about how good scotch is. A week or so ago I decided to try some. I can't remember exactly what kind it was but I got one of those little sampler bottles. I do remember it was a single malt and came in a green bottle.

After hearing Scotch this and Scotch that, I was left wondering what the big deal was. Tasted a lot like plain ol Whisky to me. Can someone enlighten me? Perhaps I tried some bad stuff? Is there some Scotch that is defintly good?

*UPDATE* - HERE is an image of the stuff I bought.

glenfiddich.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scotch whiskey probably has more flavour variation than just about any other type of alcoholic beverage. In that sense it is comparable to wine.

Scotch whiskeys range from very light flavoured brands that can taste almost like a Canadian Rye all the way to some brands that taste almost like liquified wood.

My favourite falls into the latter category and is sold under the name Laphroig. I suspect that anyone who has never sampled Scotch would find my choice almost overwhelmingly heavy tasting.

I wonder if the Scotch you sampled was Glenfiddich or perhaps Glenlivet ? While they differ from each other they are generally considered to be relatively light flavoured but by no means are they the lightest flavoured single malts on the market.

LOL you updated your post while I was typing mine !

While I prefer Single Malts I rather like Chivas Regal,Balantynes,and Johnnie Walker Black also.

mo0N,

You've gotta drink, like 2 or 3 quarts to really know whether you like Scotch or not. Those little bottles are for sissies. I am giving you early warning, so that you can change your original post.

Thanks guys...

I will keep trying, perhaps Fini is correct, I gotta keep trying it. But the reason I tried the little sampler bottle was because I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something I was not going to like. I am not a big whisky drinker, however, I do like Tequila.

I guess I expected scotch to be something different. I didn't realize it was whisky. I expected something different along the lines of Whisky and Brandy. It's been many many many years since I had brady, but I do remember it being a much different alochol experiance.

Just got done making Chicken Parmasian. Made two batches, one with red wine and one without. The one with red wine definitly came out with a bit more zing to it. It turned out very good and was quit pleased. A little wine for the belly, a little wine for the chicken, a little more wine for the belly. Oh heck with it, a lot more wine for the tounge and belly 4.gif

I have found that as I am getting a few years under my belt that I am taking quit a likeing to red wine. One of the best I have had (don't remember the name) but it had a real dark flavor. It had an almost charcoal flavor from teh berrel it aged in. I wish I could remember what it was.

Fini, this is right up your ally living close to the Napa Vally and all. I remember as a child touring the vally venyards. Even though it's been like 25 years, I can still remember that smell of the cellers.

Lynnm is right as usual. There is a wide variation of intensity of flavor.

I, myself, do not like the strong single malts. They bring to mind an episode in the movie, "Mister Rogers" set on a cargo ship in WWII. Good movie. The boys are trying to mix up medical alcohol with anything else to make something which tastes like scotch. Coca-cola gives it color. The final addition is iodine. That is what the strong stuff tastes like to me.

The others are "blends" where the distiller tastes the various batches and takes this or that to blend together. Chivas, Pinch, JW, Dewars are all in this family.

The strong flavor comes from the fact that the malt is toasted in an oven which is open to a peat fire. So the taste comes at least in part from particulate of half formed coal. You can see where I'm going. Smile.

One of the brothers (religious) in college said that the Irish tought the Scots how to make whiskey, and walk on two legs. I can't agree with that entirely in that I have no gripe with the fine people of Scotland.

On the other hand, if you want something which is like Scotch whisky, but not as overpowering, try Irish whiskey. In making that the oven is closed and there is not the overpowering peat flavor.

The very best of the Irish is "Red Breast". Pricy but good. It used to be difficult to find in the USA. However, a few months ago I found it in the Centenial chain of stores in Dallas (the wet parts of Dallas).

Of course a tot with a friend is good. Klipsch music at home sounds good with it. Don't drive, work with sharp objects, or make irrevocable decisions while under the alcafluence of incohol.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 1/10/2004 9:51:34 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I, myself, do not like the strong single malts. They bring to mind an episode in the movie, "Mister Rogers" set on a cargo ship in WWII. Good movie. The boys are trying to mix up medical alcohol with anything else to make something which tastes like scotch. Coca-cola gives it color. The final addition is iodine. That is what the strong stuff tastes like to me.

----------------

My favorite part in that movie is when Mister Rogers says, "Special (blend). Sure, I like the way you say that."

I have no idea how anyone can drink scotch. I can't think of a word horrid enough to describe what it tastes like to me. I've tried a few very expensive brands and still cannot stomach the stuff. Acquired taste, maybe, but I don't think I'll ever acquire it.