OT: Anyone here drink Scotch?

m00n

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of the serious whiskey drinkers I've known (and in over 30 years as a Boilermaker I met lots of whiskey drinkers) drank Scotch. Stuff like VO, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey is what I've known the heavy hitters to drink.

I drink VO on occasion; when I'm in a tavern drinking OldStyle and feel like having a shot VO is my choice. Goes down easy and gives a quick buzz.

Whiskey gives a quick buzz and is far more efficient than beer. However I see no need to even touch the stuff, or any alchohol, if I don't intend to fly. Whiskey or beer as a beverage makes no sense to me. I suspect many of those who drink "fine" Scotch alone are simply pantry-drinking rummys.

----------------

On 1/12/2004 12:38:13 PM TBrennan wrote:

I suspect many of those who drink "fine" Scotch alone are simply pantry-drinking rummys.

----------------

What's a pantry-drinking rummy? And why do you need to come in and slam on people who like to have social drinks? I like to have a beer now and then without getting drunk. I very much enjoy popping the top of a Corona, Hefiwizen (sp?) in my theater, kicking back and watching a movie. No need to get drunk. There are those who like to just relax with a drink or two.

Smilin'

If ya get the chance - go to the Duke of Pearth(sp?)in the city - northside I think on Clark. There you will find only two things - over 65 brands of scotch and scotish ale. A fun place to explore. - one of my favs is Lagavulin - a bit much for some - nectar for others2.gif3.gif3.gif

Dude walks into a bar and asks for some 25 year old scotch.

Proceeds to tell the bartender not to give him the 10 or 15 year old stuff because he can taste the difference.

Bartender reachs under the counter and pulls up a glass full of scotch.

Dude takes a drink then proceeds to spit it out on the floor.

25 year old scotch i said !!!!!!!!!!!

Bartender is impressed and proceeds to pour him the good stuff.

Old drunk sitting at the end of the bar slides his glass down the bar and tells the dude to go ahead and taste this.

Dude takes a swill of the drink then screams out a huge " YUK " that tastes like "piss" he says.

Old drunk replies " yup your right " but can you guess my "AGE "

----------------

On 1/10/2004 11:06:46 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

Oban is my scotch of choice ( single malt ). $85.60 per bottle canadian

Blended scotchs are for those who don't really appriciate what scotch really is.

Most who drink scotch are followers of congac, drambue, cavausia etc

----------------

So I'm guessing you're not a follower of Courvoisier?

9.gif

----------------

On 1/12/2004 11:11:00 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I ordered a drink and the bartender was SHOCKED that I was wanted it neat! ALL OF THE LOCALS who INVENTED this stuff were drinking it mixec 50/50 with LEMONADE!

So much for being a snob . . . .

----------------

Come now, laddy. Don't tell me ya doon't know what a toddy is?

Albeit I'm a bit more familiar with the cold curing hot toddy recipe - equal parts Scotch and lemonade, with a touch of honey to sweeten, served hot - a sure cure for whatever ails ya!

m00n:

Although, I am not much of a scotch drinker, Glenfiddish single malt (the brand pictured in your post) is the only brand that I do care for on occasion. In fact, I happen to have a half-full bottle on the shelf right now. Next time you are at your cousin's in East Lansing, come-on over and we'll kill it together! 2.gif

My favorite sipping whiskey is Old Bushmill's Black Bush (when I can afford it) and just plain Old Bushmill's Irish Whiskey when I cannot. My favorite drink to curl up with to watch a good movie is a Southern Comfort Manhattan-perfect, on-the-rocks. (FYI: "Perfect" is half sweet Vermouth and half dry Vermouth). If we're at a party and going to be sipping on drinks all night long, if I am not in the mood for beer, I always choose Jim Beam and 7-Up on-the-rocks. It's smooth, good and I can sip on it all night long without feeling like heck the next morning. 14.gif

Party on Garth! 3.gif-Picky

Hey mOOn

That is the kind of scotch that i drink , on the rocks ( ice ) make sure you wash the ice first ( rinsing the ice off with water a couple of times ) , They say what is best is a single malt scotch .You pay more for older scotches , i personally like that one the best.